To those of you with a 'weekend' car

Soldato
Can't imagine a mass-produced MX-5 would gain value?
Can I ask why you didn't get something more extreme like a Caterham if you've only done 3000 miles?

I guess it depends on the condition. The comment was rather tongue in cheek...

I bought it from my Dad who had it from new. That's how I ended up with it. He was selling it and it just seemed far too good to let go to someone else when it is one of the few cars I've seen for its age that can be described as "mint".

I don't have a huge love of the car but it is fun and very practical when it needs to be. We're considering taking it down to Jerez in February for F1 testing, and it is perfect for making a fun trip a little more memorable.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had my current evo for 5 years. I did 20k in the first 4 years and 4k in the past 2 months (my little pug was off the road).

I've now got a diesel Accord that I use for work so the evo is back to being a weekend car.
The pug is still sitting in my garage uninsured but is getting MOT'd this weekend so will either be sold or scrapped depending on the outcome. Then the evo will go back in the garage.

I must admit I have been tempted to punt them all in and buy a nice comfy (but still nippy) car to cover all my bases in one.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
My 2p is that i simply couldnt do with only one car, there is no one car which isnt a mega compromise. No car is good at everything nor am i always in the same mood or want the same thing from a car.

As a result i have ended up with a situation where i have at least three cars.

Car 1) Fast convertible, +500HP, mega thirsty, but roof down V8 fastest thing on the road is a lot of fun and requires a certain mood. Ideal for the O/H to go to the shops locally in, see her friends, etc.

Car 2) Massive family 4x4, mega thirsty but ideal for running around locally, very nice and comfortable for family needs, seats 5 adults with loads of space, baby seat excellent in the back, amazing driving position in traffic, loads of shopping space, and fun to take down the greenlanes and over fields etc when you feel like it.

Car 3) Rubbish tip bus, large for family needs, ideal for chucking bricks and wood in the back, scuffing all of the trim in the process. Park it anywhere you want, chuck it in a tube station carpark in a bad area etc, if it gets scratched and dented who cares - carefree motoring. Also fairly economical for thrashing to a client miles away or something like that if necessary.

So yeah, do the weekend car thing, but if you do, make sure that the weekend car is actually special. Otherwise it is a waste of money and you wont use it.

Associate
It is a good point. Paying 2x tax/insurance/servicing is a pain. I will add it up after a year or so running 2 cars.

I might chop both in and just get a C63 if the costs work out similar.

Associate
As my wife doesn't need a car very often and I need one every day having a more sensible and less sensible car works out great for us. My 350Z spends most of its time on the drive but I do get at least 6k a year usage out of it (often in big chunks - for example its in the south of france with me at the moment!)

It certainly makes it more of an 'event' to drive a more thrilling car - I went through a stage where I was using my 350Z as my daily as my Mrs needed a car every day and it devalues the experience as you get used to the noise and the performance.

IMO I'm not sure if I didn't need two cars if I would bother but I certainly prefer doing it that way around.

Soldato
It is a good point. Paying 2x tax/insurance/servicing is a pain. I will add it up after a year or so running 2 cars.

Not really, it all depends on what you are running, sure if you are running 2 modern unmodified cars & don't do many miles then you are probably correct, quick sums in my case -

Running the Capri alone as I had it as a reasonably standard 2.8i would currently cost me £278 in insurance for the year and a rather massive £5246 in petrol for the year, lets say servicing is £500 for the year which is a massive overestimate & I'm guessing tax is now £250ish for the year.

(with the cosworth engine my best insurance quote on a normal policy is £1400, on a classic policy £280)

£6.2k a year to run it which is ridiculous (nearly £7.5k with the engine swap!)

Running it alongside the Mondeo lets say servicing is still £500, best classic quote I can get is currently £132 for the year and my fuel for the 1k miles a year I would likely cover now drops to £370, Taxing it only in the summer about £180ish?

The Mondeo is only £140 a year to tax, costs £220 a year to insure at the moment, lets grossly overestimate servicing at £500 a year (only spent £90 so far this year) but my fuel costs are only £1500 for the same mileage.

£3542 to run both cars, I've just saved the best part of £3000 by running a second car which is actually twice the value of what I paid for the Mondeo, running two cars aint going to throw up £3k worth of bills a year and running the 2nd car very quickly pays for itself.

I actually can't afford to run just 1 car.

Associate
Once I've added up all the costs, my weekend ride costs me over £1 per mile :/

I live in central London and my weekend car is literally just that. I use public transport most of the time, but my car is for the weekend run purely to ensure I don't forget how awesome cars are.

It's a Porsche Cayman 3.4s.. absolutely epic piece of engineering!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I guess it depends on the condition. The comment was rather tongue in cheek...

I bought it from my Dad who had it from new. That's how I ended up with it. He was selling it and it just seemed far too good to let go to someone else when it is one of the few cars I've seen for its age that can be described as "mint".

I don't have a huge love of the car but it is fun and very practical when it needs to be. We're considering taking it down to Jerez in February for F1 testing, and it is perfect for making a fun trip a little more memorable.
Fair enough then :)

Associate
Ha Ha. I have 2 weekend cars!:p

I walk to work M-F, and the missus drives her Alfa and drops me off if its raining.;)

Atom time for dry evenings / weekend and track days.

ClioV6 if its wet or I want to drive a long way in comfort.

Depreciation on both my cars is peanuts. Well the Clio is appreciating so I reckon its minimal overall.

All I pay for is insurance and servicing which is not bad on either.

WIN.:cool:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
MATE WE NEEDS PICS

also lol@clio V6 and comfort :p
As for 'wet', you like going sideways then I take it :D

Associate
I'll do a thread sometime but here is one for you (seeing as you asked).;)

20140517_185141.jpg

545BHP/tonne supercharged madness. Go large, or go home. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom