To those of you with a 'weekend' car

Caporegime
I don't have a weekender but know a few people who do...

One has an e30 M3 that probably gets used for 6 weekends of the year although it's more of an appreciating asset, it's on an F plate, owned from new and has very low mileage.

Another has a late J plate Sierra 4x4 Cosworth which is used an awful lot.

An old workmate of mine has a v12 Jag XJS which seems to never move (although it's in superb condition, taxed & insured)

Finally, a mate who has an F10 520d company car yet uses his "toy" - a 58 plate e60 M5 - more than the company car it seems, he seems to be the opposite and use the f10 at weekends to ferry the mrs & kids about and uses the e60 for his daily commute, he's lucky, he can use his company fuel card for either car it seems!

I'd personally like a weekend toy, whatever it may be, but would find it hard to justify the cost relative to use I'd guess...

Soldato
I think the key is to make sure your weekend car is something completely different to your daily. My daily is the kind of car you'd never take in track or thrash down some country roads, so whenever I want to do something like that I always use my weekend car. If I had something like a manual 330i as a daily, I agree I'd probably never use my MR2.

Soldato
I run a S14a touring as my daily car and have a mk1 MR2 as the weekend toy. Never use the MR2 in the winter as it will just be sat inside a garage. Luckily it's pretty cheap as insurance is £140 for the year and it's taxed for about half the year.

Soldato
I've run my scooby as a weekend car for the last 3 years maybe. There can be weeks which go by without starting the scooby but i've always felt it was worth it. What probably makes a difference for me is that my daily car is so terrible, if i had a nice new 3 series or whatever maybe i'd use the scooby less at the weekends if me and the wife are going out somewhere..

Where 2 cars really come into their own is if you want to do track days as it takes a lot of the stress out of it, if you break something you can still get to work on monday etc. Also if you want to tackle a DIY job on the car which is slightly outside your exerpience it doesn't matter if it takes longer as you can just take the other car wherever.

Caporegime
My Celica did 5k last year but has only done around 2k this year as it has been off the road for months with upgrades.

I use my daily for the work commute 90% of the time and use the Celica if we go out on trips etc as it is much more fun to drive than our other cars. Also the amount of petrol my Celica guzzles (250ish miles to a 70 litre tank) it is almost free for me to run a daily alongside it.

My actual brief for having a daily is to keep mileage down on my car as it is not getting any younger and to have something to fall back on when I need to tinker!

Last edited:
My MX5 is my 'weekend car'.
I do not use it at weekends. I live 9 miles from work so often drive to work in the summer. Also I garage it in the winter.

It is more of a 'summer car' I suppose!

I am a massive mx5 fan. There really is nothing else out there with the same blend of purchase cost, running cost, repair cost, ease of repair, fun and reliability.
Is an S2000, MR2 Turbo or Impreza better than the MX5? Yes, but they will cost a heck of a lot more to buy and run.
I originally wanted an MR2 Turbo, but soon got distracted by the cheapness of the MX5. An ECU costs £10. A gearbox £20. An engine £100. Seats £60. You get the idea.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
MX-5 is the weekend car, but I hardly use it, mostly because I garage it at my parents' place. Even though they're only 10 miles away it seems too much hassle to bother with.

It just sits there, and we normally take it our four or five times a year for a full weekend trip somewhere. Hopefully one day it will start to appreciate in value - 2008 car with just over 3,000 miles on it! I prefer my weekend ride to be on two wheels rather than four.
Can't imagine a mass-produced MX-5 would gain value?
Can I ask why you didn't get something more extreme like a Caterham if you've only done 3000 miles?

Can't imagine a mass-produced MX-5 would gain value?

I think my MK1 is pending a price increase.
There are loads of them around (world's best selling sports car) but the MK1 and MK2s are mostly rotten to bits, with plates welded over the sills due to major MOT failures.
Basically no end of them are due to be scrapped off due to rot. There are few gems among the turds these days (good ones easy enough to spot though!).
The MK2 is going to be rarest as they are a lot more prone to rotting than the MK1s due to the small changes they made between the marques.

Soldato
I've had 2 cars for years, it works out pretty well, the daily used to always be a cheap 'beater' car, and the weekend car the decent one.

Only now have I decided to flip that around, just for the sake of trying it really.

X6 as a daily / do most things car
something to be hunted out (s2000 for example) once I shift the X3 as a 'weekend' car

Man of Honour
I sometimes don't use mine for a couple of weeks - but I commute by public transport during the week (and it's free so why not!). When I do use it, it is for long drives though. We have 2 cars in our household, but my wife's car is only used to go to the shops and the gym. It's an old Corolla that carries 4/5 people and is great for using around London. Other than that we cover collectively less than 10k miles a year. That includes trips to the Midlands, some foreign, and some around the UK.

So it ends up costing us very little to have 2 cars - insurance is cheap, tax is what it is. We spend less than £100 a month of fuel at a guess on average. Some months of course we spend £200+ if we go on bigger trips.

Of course it would be cheaper to only have 1 car - but then it would be a case of getting rid of both and buying an average "everything" car. Even then we'd still only use it at weekends or occasionally during the week. One of the "joys" of living in London (other than the insurance prices).

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

V6? Surely it's rude not to put a nice V8 in it..

Cosworth V6 is better than many V8's - esp the common garden Rover ones :)

I have a Westfield as a "weekend car" (in fact it's not even that as it's rarely taxed during winter, so it's a summer car really) - it's great and even though I only did 700 miles last year, it's worth every penny and I'm never selling it.

Transmission breaker
Don
I have an MGB GT as a weekend car, but it only comes out when it is sunny, and there is no water on the floor :D

Its more a work in progress, and will probably be driven more when it is more completed, but again, only in the summer!

I think I would keep it even if I never drove it, I just enjoy working on it too much :D

NVP

NVP

Soldato
;) just messing.

I'm about to chop in my M5 to go the "two cars" route, although I guess I currently have more than two already haha. But yeh, the plan is to swap the beast in for a 5 estate and then save for a turbo s to sit along side it :) - I would prefer to go the 911 route first but they're out of my budget at the moment so will be waiting patiently for their time to come... it's just taking so long!!! gggrr!

Soldato
I used to live opposite a guy who bought a CLK as a weekend car, he willingly got it limited to 70mph :confused::o

It rarely left the garage anyway.

Back
Top Bottom