• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I buy an expensive 290x?

Soldato
So I'm getting a new build in the next week or so (sold the core components of the rig in my sig). I'm dropping a tasty new 4790k into a Z97 board, but I'm just debating with myself as to what graphics card to put in.

It'll be driving a 2560x1440 display, and I'd like it to run reasonably quiet so that there's no chance of waking up the missus with the fan noise if she's asleep.

With that in mind I'm stuck looking at Sapphire's Vapor-X 290x here currently on sale for £400. AMD seems to be a much better price/performance ratio than NVidia at this performance range, so I'm feeling like that's the way to go right now.

The reason for the Sapphire over the Asus DCU is that from what I can tell, with the ASUS you either have decent temps or a reasonably quiet system, but not both. Sapphire seems to strike a decent balance.

Am I being crazy? What's the general consensus on 290x's these days? :p

Last edited:
Associate
Good question there mate, i'm also looking at ATI this time, but i was tempted by the Sapphire 290 (non X) Vapor X OC as i have read it's practically the same card, and performs within 1 or 2 fps of the more expensive 290x

Soldato
OP
Good question there mate, i'm also looking at ATI this time, but i was tempted by the Sapphire 290 (non X) Vapor X OC as i have read it's practically the same card, and performs within 1 or 2 fps of the more expensive 290x

Hm you're right it does look basically the same from what I can tell, just £70 more for 3-4 fps...

Quality 290X that and would get my vote too. Another good one is the Sapphire Tri X.

Yea Tri-X seems to be very well reviewed as well, although it's the same price as the vapor so I guess if I had to choose now I might as well get the vapor

Tri-x 290 gets my vote. Two of them would be even better ;)

Yeaaa 2 would be nice wouldnt it haha. Perhaps it's worth getting the straight 290 for now and leaving myself the option for xfire later..

Soldato
OP

Oh god that looks lovely, but it's another case of paying another 80 pounds for a few more fps right? :(

you should buy four of them asap !!!

any less and your not a man

Would it help if I got a Titan as well just to make sure? Don't want to leave any room for doubt there :p

I like the Sapphire's Vapor-X 290x

But I am biased, I use a 290X.:)

Haha excellent. How's the noise on yours when gaming? My old MSI 6950s went a little bit 'jet engine' when things got intense so I'm a little wary of that now..

Man of Honour
Oh god that looks lovely, but it's another case of paying another 80 pounds for a few more fps right? :(

Would it help if I got a Titan as well just to make sure? Don't want to leave any room for doubt there :p

Haha excellent. How's the noise on yours when gaming? My old MSI 6950s went a little bit 'jet engine' when things got intense so I'm a little wary of that now..

Silent, mine is watercooled reference.:)

The Vapor X is supposed to be pretty quiet though.

Soldato
The sapphire Vapor-x and Tri-X would get my vote for sure! But with the Vapor-x being same price atm i would get that for sure! And the vapor-x is better than the ROG Matirx IMO for cooling and noise and also comes out of the box faster than the matrix too!

Soldato
I would definitely recommend a 290 over the 290x. The £100 or so extra is rarely seen in performance terms.

As far as cards go, I don't know which one is the best. All I know is that every manufacturer has gone full potato and is using perpendicular fins so all the 250w under load will go into your case so ensure your case is well ventilated.

Soldato
Powercolor 290X at sub £300 wins easily.

P.S. After you've sold the free memory kit OcUK give with it.

Heard good things about the PCS+ cards.
I'm very tempted to do this, with 2 or 3 cards (damn you LtMatt and your Tri-fire). I'm assuming you'd get the game codes and memory with all 3 cards?

Also, EK do waterblocks that fit the new revision PCS+ cards. I see you have some of the special DCII blocks in so any chance you may get a handful of the EK-FC R9-290X SE blocks in?

I am right in thinking the PCS+ cards you have are the new revision ones right?
Are these better than the old revision cards or just cheaper to make (and cheaper for us to buy)?

The card in the OP is very pricey.
I bought a Sapphire 290x Tri-x for £200 at the AMD day. I realise this was £100 off, but surely you can get one on the MM for £240?

I could never spend £400 on a 290x no matter how much of a fancy pants version it is.

Soldato
Powercolor 290X at sub £300 wins easily.

P.S. After you've sold the free memory kit OcUK give with it.

This entirely! Or if you don't mind going slightly over budget get two 290's with the RAM and sell the two sets of RAM for £100-£120 making it about £480 for R9 290 crossfire, only £100 more than a R9 290x.

Back
Top Bottom