People who hate automagics...

Associate
Oh,so it is what Honda call an ishift.
Are there components in an automatic that need regular replacement, like the clutch in a manual?

Caporegime
I am 12 years old, what is this?

I could have dug up a load of old threads and used other peoples real world examples to add backing to my statements, but I was far too lazy to do that. And so, knowing from these memories of other posts that my point was valid, I chose to tell a white lie instead, which Fox ruined, and I couldn't be bothered to backpedal, so I just said that. :p

Soldato
Oh,so it is what Honda call an ishift.
Are there components in an automatic that need regular replacement, like the clutch in a manual?

Not really, some manufacturers advise and will service the box with an oil and filter replacement, but many don't and will leave the oil in the box forever.

Soldato
I'm considering getting a Honda FR-V possibly a 1.8 automatic. Any thoughts on whether its likely to drive well, bearing in mind that its an mpv and not a track day special!

Weight 1449kg
138 bhp
Torque 174 Nm 128 lb-ft
5 speed transmission

Yes it will be more than fine, they drive great and Honda boxes are some of the best around, they design, engineer and build all their own gearboxes.

Soldato
It has a 5 speed torque converter automatic and not an ishift. Which means...?!
It does do 0-60 in 12 secs, which is slow but does that matter much for town driving.l?

Don't worry about the 0-60 times, means jack all, my car official 0-60 time is 9.5sec, but actually does 0-59 in 7.5sec, because of the way its been geared. I can tell you that car with the engine and gearbox is a good drive.

Soldato
What's the reliability like of DSG nowadays?

When Alfa Romeo played around with it 15 years ago with Selespeed (nick named sillyspeed) its reliability was pretty poor.

The hydraulic pumps that operate the clutches run at stupid high pressure and were prone to failure.

Caporegime
Don't worry about the 0-60 times, means jack all, my car official 0-60 time is 9.5sec, but actually does 0-59 in 7.5sec, because of the way its been geared. I can tell you that car with the engine and gearbox is a good drive.

My cars official 0 - 60 time is 17.9 seconds, but it actually does about 16 seconds. It is still deathly slow, but at least it isn't that extra 2 seconds slower. :p

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the 0 - 60 times mean Jack all however. I believe that they are measured with the car 50% loaded or something like that, in some cases.

How accurate they are will also vary from car to car. And from manufacturer to manufacturer. A bit like MPG figures. *cough* BMW *cough*

Back
Top Bottom