BT Boast of 1000Mbps G.fast and FTTdp Broadband Technology Potential

Soldato
BT Boast of 1000Mbps G.fast and FTTdp Broadband Technology Potential

Earlier this month ISPreview.co.uk became the first to reveal some of the results from BT’s first field trial of hybrid-fibre G.fast (ITU G.9701) and FTTdp broadband technology (here) and today the operator, perhaps seizing on recent calls from UK Labour Party activists, delivered its own take describing the service as “very promising … with significant potential” for the future.

At present BT predominantly uses FTTC to deliver broadband speeds of up to 80Mbps (20Mbps upload), which works by taking a fibre optic cable to your local street cabinet and then utilising VDSL2 and your existing copper telecoms cable (i.e. between the street cabinet and home/office) to deliver the service. This can work over copper runs of up to around 2000 metres, although sub-400m is best (most homes exist within 400m).

By comparison G.fast is similar to FTTC/VDSL2, except it’s designed to deliver top speeds of up to 1000Mbps. The problem is that you can only get even close to that performance by using very short copper lines and thus in order to get the most out of G.fast the technology must be combined with another solution – Fibre to the Distribution Point (FTTdp).

In simple terms, FTTdp shortens the copper line by bringing the fibre optic cable even closer to your home than the local street cabinet, such as by installing small remote nodes (mini cabinets) on nearby telegraph poles or in other locations etc. We revealed in our exclusive report on the operators first field trial that speeds of approaching 1000Mbps were possible, as an aggregate, but only if the node is positioned practically right outside your home. Today’s press release from BT expresses this as follows; although it’s worth remembering that the trial only involved 3 houses (see our original piece for the results at 47 metres).

9zIGk1r.gif

Full Article Here: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ast-fttdp-broadband-technology-potential.html

Soldato
Surely running fiber to a box in your garden that then runs copper to the house would be more expensive than just doing the last few feet in fiber without the middle box?

Caporegime
This. Why waste the time researching and testing these ideas? I would pay a higher initial install cost to get FTTP as you're going to be pretty future proof!

You wouldn't, because your definition of higher probably isn't several hundred pounds. And even if you would, the vast majority of potential customers wouldn't. FTTP makes sense in new build outs, and it is happening, but the costs involved in trying to deploy it into existing areas would never be recouped by a product that was priced at an acceptable level to the average consumer.

Soldato
Personally I'm happy about this, even though I'm in an area that counts as Greater London, I'm about 500m away from my cabinet, while the nearest telephone pole is less than 15m away. I'm on a main street as well so the chances of having fibre installed at the last distance is pretty much near 0.

I suppose the real question is, how much will these packages cost?

Associate
BT don't strike me as a company straining at the leash to roll out high speed Internet connections. I suspect any significant improvement to VDSL2 infrastructure is many years in the future. If there is any real leadership in this area I expect it to come from government not BT.

Soldato
BT don't strike me as a company straining at the leash to roll out high speed Internet connections. I suspect any significant improvement to VDSL2 infrastructure is many years in the future. If there is any real leadership in this area I expect it to come from government not BT.

I don't know - anything that uses existing infrastructure but is "better" (i.e. they can charge more for) is going to be of interest to them. Although the talk of adding mini boxes to telegraph poles etc. isn't existing of course.

BT even hold the current transmission record don't they?

Permabanned
I have fibre to the premises.
300mb at first, never get that speed at peak times, BT can't handle it (their words).
Ended up switching to 200mb which just about works.

Back
Top Bottom