So... my amplifier just exploded!

Soldato
My £500 Nad C370 was switched on but not playing any music and I could hear it making slight cracking noises. I turned if off for a minute or so then back on and the cracking noises continued. I smelt it and it smelt bad so (luckily) stepped back and it went bang, quite a loud band and flash inside.

Should I risk turning it back on? I think if I had been touching it when it blew up I would have got a serious shock

Soldato
It blew up and your asking if you should turn it back on?

Even if it does turn on I wouldn't exactly trust it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes, I know its a stupid idea to turn it on and it wont anyway. Think I just had a retard moment thinking if I should try turning it back on. Just very annoyed now as its a giant paper weight

I'll see if anyone can repair it

Associate
My £500 Nad C370 was switched on but not playing any music and I could hear it making slight cracking noises. I turned if off for a minute or so then back on and the cracking noises continued. I smelt it and it smelt bad so (luckily) stepped back and it went bang, quite a loud band and flash inside.

Should I risk turning it back on? I think if I had been touching it when it blew up I would have got a serious shock

At least you got some good HQ noises from it prior to death, you wouldn't have got that with an el cheapo..

Caporegime
Soldato
Of course don't power it back on, once it's gone bang it's hardly likely to work again without repairs!

You wouldn't have received an electric shock from it if you had been touching it at the time, the earthed chassis would make sure of that, or double safety insulation, depending which class the product is.

The fuse is to prevent risk of fire, it does not typically protect components from failure, and they can go with quite a bang (and an awful smell as you noticed!) during overloads well below the breaking point of the fuse. Even if the amp had been unattended there should have been no risk of fire, unless you had seriously blocked up the vents.

Open her up, the caps will discharge in a few minutes in equipment like this, either through the amplifier circuitry or the (hopefully installed) reservoir bleed resistors. We can get a look at what part(s) has failed and estimate whether repair is economical :)

EDIT: Your link reveals a worrying design oversight, that there is internal mains wiring pre equipment fuse. A good reason to use an IEC with fuse drawer, but I can't blame manufacturers for not using them since it allows the customer to fit incorrect fuses, or tin foil...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom