• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980 Reference EOL Already ?

Soldato
OP
Yeah it is a little odd. I'm sure I remember being able to buy reference 780's for months after release. Though maybe I'm mistaken...

I bought 2 x 780's only a few months ago brand new with the reference cooler, Seems a very odd move considering Nvidia are well known for their Titan style cooler and glowing "GEFORCE GTX"" lettering.

One of the many factors I go for in a GPU is the way it looks and one of the best looking ones is the reference shroud, The others mostly look like they are bit's of plastic stuck together and kind of look cheap.

Soldato
I bought 2 x 780's only a few months ago brand new with the reference cooler, Seems a very odd move considering Nvidia are well known for their Titan style cooler and glowing "GEFORCE GTX"" lettering.

One of the many factors I go for in a GPU is the way it looks and one of the best looking ones is the reference shroud, The others mostly look like they are bit's of plastic stuck together and kind of look cheap.

Maybe Nvidia coming up with some new kind of blower titan cooler.

Soldato
OP
If I can't get a reference design GTX980 in a few months then I won't both upgrading as I'd be after a pair of SLI. Shame.

Indeed, The blower design is especially useful for people who don't want hot air venting into their case.

Maybe Nvidia coming up with some new kind of blower titan cooler.

If so they should have done this way before the 9xx series launched to avoid upsetting customers who will later see the "Improved 9xx Series Cooling".

OcUK Staff
It's not upto NVIDIA but the board partners, they prefer their own coolers as they cost less and as such they make more profit.

Asus = nearly out on reference and focusing on Strix
EVGA = reference production stopped! full focus on ACX 2.0
Galax = unknown but moving production over to SOC and HOF, but might continue reference on special request.
Gigabyte = ok but moving production to only WindForce and G1 end of this month
Inno3D = Best supply but now moving over to X3 and X4 Herculez coolers.
MSI = no reference left! full focus on gamer models only
Palit = Jetstream only!
Zotac = all gone and moving over to three fan OC model.

So I'm struggling to get more reference, the partners are focused on their own cooling solutions as it gives them identity and better profits.

If they do completely disappear I can try to do an order with PC partner but MOQ's would be 1000+ units so depends if we think it's worthwhile as it's big commitments and they will cost more as special order items.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info Gibbo, I prefer the Titan style cooler personally mainly due to the fact that it's fully enclosed and looks clean were as the current offerings, Strix, Jetstream, ACX etc... all either have heat pipes on show or open non enclosed designs which to me seems kind of messy, Not uniform and who wants all that hot air being blown into their case ?

I guess rear exhaust blower style cards are going to be a thing of the past then :( at least with this generation.

Might have to get a 2nd 980 Titan style while stocks last for SLI.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think Nvidia care what people think. They didn't care they released 780 Ti 2 months after 780. That upset so many.

Not sure why. Titan had one SMX of the GK110 disabled and 780 had three disabled. It was fairly obvious that there was space above both for a product with all 15 SMXs enabled and sure enough, that was 780 Ti. It's not like it was a totally unexpected product.

AFAIK, they've been very coy about whether the 980 is a "fully fledged" processor or whether it has some cores disabled. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's the latter and they've left space for a 980 Ti in the not-too-distant future, should the need arise when AMD's 300-series makes an appearance.

Soldato
I don't think Nvidia care what people think. They didn't care they released 780 Ti 2 months after 780. That upset so many.

God forbid that nvidia releases more products. At the end of the day 780 buyers made the decision that the product they were getting was worth the money they spent. The 780 ti did not make the 780 any worse - anyone upset about this is a shallow potato.

Soldato

Wasnt it more like 6 months?
Titans were out first and still not full fat,, 780's came out crippled a little more I would have thought most would realise and eventually there would be a higher spec higher priced version before we moved onto a new gen

Back
Top Bottom