• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980 Reference EOL Already ?

Soldato
I strongly urge anyone who is scared (for want of a better word) of water cooling to take the plunge. It's the final frontier as far as PC building goes, and trust me mate, you won't look back.

BTDT - it's a complete pain in the backside.

It's a cool hobby and, if you're a mad overclocker and want the absolute best cooling power possible then yes that's it. For most people it's a waste of time though. Air cooling has become so efficient that you don't need water to create a powerful yet quiet PC. It's also a pain to upgrade graphics cards as you need new blocks then have to drain, refill and bleed the loop all over again.

Soldato
OP
If NV are producing GM200 now if/which is the reason then it could potentially be out by Christmas which is frankly outrageous, but nothing surprises me any more :p

I think they'll be holding it back for AMDs launch next year though

My prediction is Titan II/Black by Feb and new 1080 or whatever they call it by august/september

Man of Honour
BTDT - it's a complete pain in the backside.

It's a cool hobby and, if you're a mad overclocker and want the absolute best cooling power possible then yes that's it. For most people it's a waste of time though. Air cooling has become so efficient that you don't need water to create a powerful yet quiet PC. It's also a pain to upgrade graphics cards as you need new blocks then have to drain, refill and bleed the loop all over again.

Or you could invest in some quick disconnects to get the GPUs out quick and easy.

Soldato
I don't think you'll see a 980Ti. Not sure why people keep assuming there will be lol. GM204 is a full die, whatever is coming next won't be under the 980 branding - will most likely be twice the price as well

+1 while the 970's and 980's are great cards they are at top end prices imo so i can see the new full fat maxwell being a new tier of prices :(

Associate
Tempted by the 980 reference on today only.

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times but how much faster on average is a 980 over a 970 if both are overclocked?

Associate
Oh I forgot to mention MSI are doing a blower type model called the GTX 980 OCV1.

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/GTX-980-4GD5-OCV1.html#hero-overview

Quoted

"MSI announced a pair of minimalist lateral blower-equipped GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970-based graphics cards, under the OC V1 series. The two don't feature flashy TwinFrozr cooling solutions, or even over the top features, but offer PCBs that are close to NVIDIA's reference design, albeit with MSI's own copper channel-flow heatsinks. "

Back
Top Bottom