Go buy a Harmony Smart Control

Soldato
I've had two of these (one in my living room, one in my cinema room) since they came out.

Being able to put my AV stuff in a cabinet and out of sight was definitely a bonus, but using the "actions" that let you turn on and switch a variety of gear without having to hold it in line of sight has been a god send.

Fast forward to yesterday and I decided to do a similar "AV cabinet" set-up in our bedroom and move all the AV gear (just an ATV3 and NowTV) into the cupboard and get another one of these remotes.

My GOD, I forgot how big a difference it can make using a decent remote that every button press is registered 100% of the time!

The actions don't make a massive difference to us as the setup is so simple, but having a really nice, responsive remote control makes it SO worth it.

If you don't already have one of these remotes in your life then you need to get that corrected!

Pro Tip: Wait until they drop to £69 on "the forest". They usually sit at £79 (which is a fair price) but if you see it at £69 snap it up.

EDIT: Also, to clear up some confusion regarding this line of Harmony products.

Harmony Hub (RRP £80) - Can be bought separately. Works as an IR transmitter and can be controlled by your smart phone that connects to it via bluetooth to set it up, then wireless after that.

Harmony Smart Control (RRP £110 but can be bought for ~£80) - The "smart control" package INCLUDES the Harmony Hub described above, but also include the "harmony smart" remote which is a RF remote that talks directly to the hub. This is what I think is the best package and remote.

Harmony Ultimate One - (RRP £149 but can be bought for ~£95) - This is the touch screen remote that has less buttons that the "harmony smart" remote. It can work independently from the hub as it has an IR output but it can also talk to the hub via RF. This remote requires to be kept charged in a cradle but does also have backlit buttons.

Harmony Ultimate - (RRP £230) - This is a package deal of the Harmony Hub and the Ultimate One remote.

The key fact is that all the remote and hubs can be bought separately but work together (although each remote can only be assigned to link to one hub) When paired with the Harmony Hub all the remotes offer the same functionality. E.g. they all control Bluetooth devices and work with Phillips Hue lightbulbs.

#### IMPORTANT EDIT ####

Harmony are now releasing the "home" range of these remotes that have some extra functionality (ability to control more home automation devices). These don't appear to be out in the UK yet still.

They cost a bit more but already there's some functionality that's being released for the "home hub" that the "smart hub" can't do - like integration with IFTTT!

Last edited:
I've got a 650 at the moment, but will be upgrading to a Harmony Ultimate at some point as it'll do PS4 too.

The Neet IR Blasters work really well with the Harmony as my AV kit is in a cupboard too, USB powered about £15 off Flamazon.

Soldato
OP
Correct me if I'm wrong but I wouldn't be able to use CEC with my setups that don't have an HTPC in the loop would I?

All my devices are either ATV3 (running Plex from server), Roku3 (for catchup) and XboxOne.

Each room also has a AV receiver or HDMI switch in the way...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've got a 650 at the moment, but will be upgrading to a Harmony Ultimate at some point as it'll do PS4 too.

The Neet IR Blasters work really well with the Harmony as my AV kit is in a cupboard too, USB powered about £15 off Flamazon.

Pretty sure the Harmony Smart Control does PS4 as well so it's not required to get the ultimate. Also, as a hater of crap touch screens, remember that EVERY button on the Smart Control (the one without a touch screen) can have double functions (short press and long press) and that includes the 3 activity buttons at the top (so you get 6 activities).

Added advantage of the non touch screen remote as well is that it doesn't require a charging cradle and the batteries in my older two have lasted since launch.

I'm all with you on the NeetIR blasters - I had those as well but it still annoyed me if someone walked in the way of the remote during an action! :D

P.S. Keep your stick on IR blaster as they can be used with the Harmony Hub just by using a 2.5mm adapter.

Pretty sure the Harmony Smart Control does PS4 as well so it's not required to get the ultimate. Also, as a hater of crap touch screens, remember that EVERY button on the Smart Control (the one without a touch screen) can have double functions (short press and long press) and that includes the 3 activity buttons at the top (so you get 6 activities).

Added advantage of the non touch screen remote as well is that it doesn't require a charging cradle and the batteries in my older two have lasted since launch.

I'm all with you on the NeetIR blasters - I had those as well but it still annoyed me if someone walked in the way of the remote during an action! :D

P.S. Keep your stick on IR blaster as they can be used with the Harmony Hub just by using a 2.5mm adapter.

Hmm interesting, that would be about half the price of the ultimate. So the Smart does BT?

Soldato
Interested in getting a smart remote. I have:

A Sony TV (i assume model specifics aren't required)
SKY+ HD
PS3
Sony STR-DN1040

Would definitely like to consolidate.

Bravia Sync should control your amp through your TV. I have a Sony TV, Sky and a Sony Amp and only ever use the Sky remote. I only need the TV remote once in a blue moon to switch inputs or whatever.

Soldato
OP
Hmm interesting, that would be about half the price of the ultimate. So the Smart does BT?

Yup, the Harmony Hub works with my PS3. It even acts as a "bluetooth keyboard" for my Apple TV. Although this is a new development and I'm not quite sure how to use it. I think I have to use the keyboard on my iPhone - but I never type on the Apple TV anyway so not had a reason to work this out.

Bravia Sync should control your amp through your TV. I have a Sony TV, Sky and a Sony Amp and only ever use the Sky remote. I only need the TV remote once in a blue moon to switch inputs or whatever.

Yeah, it's the "once in the blue moon" part I don't get. Get an all in one and you never have to find that second remote.

Also, a fundamental improvement that can not be over looked is the quality of the Harmony Smart Control remote itself. All the buttons have a tactile "click" to them and combined with 100% responsiveness of the button presses with your IR devices (with IR repeaters from the HUB) it just functions sooooo well.

Like I say, I've had two of these for years but the reason I started this thread is because I found it worked so well as a 3rd remote in my bedroom - a situation I don't even "need" it for.

Associate
I use a Harmony One with an IR sender to a remote cupboard in another room and it all works great except I never know what the AV is up to.
It has so many surround modes etc and the remote just toggles options so you can only tell by going to the other room and looking in the cupboard!!

Ive asked before on another thread but no replies, can anyone suggest a decent AV amp (£300-£600) which has on screen graphics that shows everything being changed on the TV screen?

cheers

Soldato
Correct me if I'm wrong but I wouldn't be able to use CEC with my setups that don't have an HTPC in the loop would I?

All my devices are either ATV3 (running Plex from server), Roku3 (for catchup) and XboxOne.

Each room also has a AV receiver or HDMI switch in the way...

Sorry cec is not a good solution for a multi room setup like that. I switched to a server client setup, so cec controls each client. Not sure about those devices you mentioned but all mine support cec, includes no ps3,avr etc

Soldato

You would think that. It works 80% of the time. But doesn't change inputs intelligent enough on the receiver.

Soldato
OP
I use a Harmony One with an IR sender to a remote cupboard in another room and it all works great except I never know what the AV is up to.
It has so many surround modes etc and the remote just toggles options so you can only tell by going to the other room and looking in the cupboard!!

Ive asked before on another thread but no replies, can anyone suggest a decent AV amp (£300-£600) which has on screen graphics that shows everything being changed on the TV screen?

cheers

It's no doubt gone unanswered because it's an outdated question I'd say. Any modern AMP is going to have on screen mirroring of the menu/options selected. If it's a major concern I'd simply buy an AVR based on started requirements but double check video reviews to see you're happy that it does what you want.

Also, changing surround modes isn't something I've ever had to do manually on an AVR before. My AMPs faultlessly detects the input signal and adjusts to decode signal just fine DTS, HD AUDIO, 5.1, 7.1 etc. It's possible that again you're applying outdated understanding of a process that just isn't required any more.

Unless you're talking about changing EQ presets - in which case what does it mater what preset it's on if it sounds good? It's all going to be subjective if you can't tell your in "music" mode when watching a movie. If it sounds bad then press the button to change the preset and boom, you're done. Point is mute anyway as yeah, modern ones are going to show you what's happening on the screen.

Back
Top Bottom