• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Official AMD Mantle Thread***

Soldato
J3ZpK8o.png

Mantle is a low-level rendering API targeted at 3D video games.

Mantle was originally developed by AMD in cooperation with DICE starting in 2013.

Mantle was designed as an alternative to Direct3D and OpenGL, primarily for use on personal computers, although suitable hardware is fully available in the Wii U, PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_(API)

AMD Mantle Overview

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/mantle#overview

Mantle FAQ

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/mantle-faq.aspx

Mantle Developers

Mantle Articles

Understanding AMD’s Mantle: A Low-Level Graphics API For GCN

Mantle Slides

Mantle - Introducing a new API for Graphics - AMD at GDC14

The Small Batch (and other) solutions in Mantle API, by Guennadi Riguer, Mantle Chief Architect

Rendering Battlefield 4 with Mantle by Yuriy ODonnell

Mantle and Nitrous - Combining Efficient Engine Design with a modern API

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mantle Enabled Games/Engines

BF4-Engine: Frostbite 3

Thief-Engine: Unreal Engine 3

Plants V Zombies Garden Warfare-Frostbite 3

Sniper Elite v3-Engine: Asura

Civilization: Beyond Earth-Engine: Civilization V

Dragon Age Inquisition-Engine: Frostbite 3

CryTek: CryEngine

Upcoming Confirmed Mantle Enabled Games/Engines

Star Citizen-Engine: CryEngine 4

Hardline-Engine: Frostbite 3

Resident Evil Revelations 2-Engine: Panta Rhei

Mantle Demos/Stress Test/Benchmarks

Ashes of the Singularity: Nitrous Engine

Star Swarm-Engine: Nitrous Engine

Mantle Demos/Stress Test/Benchmarks In Development

PCMark/3DMark

Unconfirmed/Possible Developers

Gamebryo Engine(Fallout 3, Skyrim, Rift, Defense Grid: The Awakening)

We asked if AMD Mantle integration is on its way to Gamebryo or whether DX12 would be capable enough to provide low level access. “Our engineers have been testing Mantle. Mantle enables us to share many rendering code for Xbox One and PS4 and brings many benefits even on PC like explicit Multi-GPU management. Also Mantle exposes more low-level features than DX12 as extensions. Although we are going to inevitably support DX12 as well, Mantle is definitely the key technology that we’d like to adopt for consoles and high-end PCs.”
Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/mantle-expose...ng-codes-with-ps4xbox-one#VzlACYK7Afi4SxYy.99

Mantle Utility/Application

6LiuBbq.png

Raptr Gaming Evolved Mantle FPS OSD/Screen Capture/Video Capture Support

DICE Frostbite

BF4/PvZ GW/Dragon Age Inquisition Custom User Config(OSD overlays/Tweaks)

Make a 'user.config' in your BF4/PvZ GW/Dragon Age Inquisition DIR and add:

OSD:

PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1
PerfOverlay.DrawGraph 1
PerfOverlay.Enable 1
Render.DrawScreenInfo 1

Depending what patch is live, other variables may help gameplay:.
(If you are unsure leave it alone)

RenderDevice.FramePacingMethod 0/1/2
Frame Pacing Method 0
Frame Pacing Method 1
Frame Pacing Method 2

RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0/1

0=Disabled/1=Enabled

500 FPS cap

GameTime.MaxVariableFps 500

Mirillis Action! Mantle(Boarderless mode) video capture tool

D3DGear OSD FPS support only

D3DGear now supports Mantle enabled game title, only FPS feature is enabled for now.

August 8, 2014 Version 4.88.1888

D3DGear now supports Mantle enabled game title, only FPS feature is enabled for now.

Unfortunately it isn't free, it's a capture/broadcast app, there is a trial available so you can try it out.

Steam Overlay

Thraks@twitter

Steam Overlay now supported in Mantle games with the October 22 client update. :) Spread the word! Mantle support rolls on!

Steam OSD FPS counter

You need to enable Steam Beta:

Eyyn0mx.png

Then select:

3DWggGB.png

AfterBurner OSD- Unfortunately AfterBurner currently has no Mantle support, however you can install and run AfterBurner remote server and you can get almost all your OSD info displayed on your phone/tablet minus FPS and Vram usage.

Video instructions I found on how to set it up:

Last edited:
Caporegime
DirectX vs Mantle performance comparison.

Some DirectX vs Mantle performance comparisons.

All Game Graphics settings and CPU / GPU clocks are what i run everyday.

A Side by Side video run of DirectX 11.1 vs Mantle on BF4 Shanghai, settings used: Ultra IQ with 2x MSAA, CPU FX-8350 @ 4.5Ghz, GPU: Powercolor PCS+ R9 290 @ 1125/1400.

Some parts in all BF4 Maps i find there are huge CPU bottleneck, i find that my FPS can be up and down erratically, Mantle keeps a far higher Minimum FPS resulting in a more consistent experience, i actually lock my Frame Rates to 90 FPS, it almost invariably sticks solid to exactly that.
The Shanghai main road is one of the worst for CPU Bottlenecking in DirectX.

I used Mirillis Action to record this as its the only thing that will record Mantle (Boarderless mode) unfortunately there is at least a 20% drop off in performance with it.

The actual performance difference in BF4 Shanghai, this benchmark uses the same methodology you see in the video.

Sniper Elite III

It doesn't make a huge difference, but again the frame rates are more consistent with higher Minimums, its a much smoother experience.

Thief

This uses Nvidia CPU PhysX, some parts can really tank the FPS in DirectX, its horrid, Mantle just powers through that and keeps nice high FPS.

Last edited:
Associate
Any news on when DICE are going to get Mantle working for BF4? BF4 stutters like mad on my 7990 uses all my system ram and then crashes. As this was the launch game for Mantle and the reason I bought my 7990 add in it's the only game I play I'm not that impressed.

Caporegime
Any news on when DICE are going to get Mantle working for BF4? BF4 stutters like mad on my 7990 uses all my system ram and then crashes. As this was the launch game for Mantle and the reason I bought my 7990 add in it's the only game I play I'm not that impressed.

Typical bloody Dice, the whole release of bf4 was a fiasco. took virtually a year to get it into proper playable state and they're still working on things that should have been fixed long ago. There was an update the other day saying they managed to replicate the memory leak and are working on a fix for it, many months after everyone was swinging from the rafters shouting about it. :mad:

Soldato
Some Mantle BF4 recordings.

Mantle - Xfire MSI R9 290 Gaming - BF4 Ultra

MANTLE - Crossfire MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition - BF4 Ultra

MANTLE - Crossfire MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition - BF4 Ultra

Soldato
Nice thread :D
This a Good watch also. He explains about how multi-GPUs when running Mantle can each do there own work loads. I remember reading a while back, Mantle could combined the Vram on GPU's or you could have one GPU rendering a scene while another GPU is doing something more demanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_6CAneoW-0&feature=youtu.be&t=23m43s

With this in mind, could (in the future) mantle offer cross architecture crossfire support or running of a 'slave' card? As each card would do its own work perhaps the requirement for architecture specific multi card setups could be a thing of the past.

Think of it like running a dedicated physx card, only useful in more then a handful of situations.

You could say, run a 290 as a main rendering card with a 270x running as a slave to it.

Just a thought :)

Associate
Without sounding stupid, is Mantle working correctly at the moment? It seemed like in BF 4 using Mantle would make me stutter more than DX11 would. Also I couldn't monitor my temps/clock speeds with Mantle like I could in DX11 using MSI Afterburner, is there another way or different program I can use to do this?

Caporegime
Without sounding stupid, is Mantle working correctly at the moment? It seemed like in BF 4 using Mantle would make me stutter more than DX11 would. Also I couldn't monitor my temps/clock speeds with Mantle like I could in DX11 using MSI Afterburner, is there another way or different program I can use to do this?

I'd recommend using DirectX for now in Battlefield 4. Work is ongoing to address the memory leak issue with Mantle. Don't worry, I'm absolutely doing everything within my power to ensure this bug gets fixed. :)

Caporegime
^^

No osd monitoring programs via Mantle yet, but you could use AB remote server on your phone/tablet for everything outwith fps/vram usage for info.

On that note it's possible to get an fps overlay working with Mantle games. D3DGear (free trial 15 days) currently has basic (fps counter only) on screen display support for Mantle. Check out my Sniper Elite V3 screenshot. (fps counter top left) :)

It8PIY0.jpg

Soldato
With this in mind, could (in the future) mantle offer cross architecture crossfire support or running of a 'slave' card? As each card would do its own work perhaps the requirement for architecture specific multi card setups could be a thing of the past.

Think of it like running a dedicated physx card, only useful in more then a handful of situations.

You could say, run a 290 as a main rendering card with a 270x running as a slave to it.

Just a thought :)

Yeah that's the thought. Very interesting idea when you start to think of the possibility of the things you could do.

I use hwinfo64 it runs in the background. Bf4 and mantle has worked very well for me.

Back
Top Bottom