All the Eggs + The Wrong Basket

Caporegime
http://forum.thecontrarianinvestor....-technologies-inc-gtat.69/page-501#post-25008

Looking Up said:
I have just lost all of my retirement and all of my son's savings. My son has special needs and I have failed him in the biggest way, sorry for posting this but I am totally devastated!!

Looking Up said:
I am totally numb. Just got home after working. I saved this money for over 25 years and it is gone in a day.

I haven’t sold my shares because I just don’t know if the shares will be worthless soon or any chance that they may come back.

I bought at $18 and 18.25 and have about 4700 shares. This is everything. My retirement and my savings for my son and me. This is so hard for me to take in because my son has special needs and this was for him and his future, especially when I’m not here any longer. He is getting of the bus soon so I need to dry my tears and put on a smile. He is the best son a mother could ever wish for. I just feel and know that I have failed him and trying to figure out what to do. Should I sell now and at least have a couple thousand for us to at least have a few weeks to figure out what to do. I feel for everyone on here who lost.

I was advised by someone who I trusted dearly not to sell. My instincts told me otherwise but I put my trust in this individual because I just felt so inept at trading and believed he knew much more than me. I will more than likely have to sell our home and struggle with this only because change is so difficult for my son.

I apologize for venting but I am too ashamed to share this with my family or friends. I shared this with the person who advised me to hold and my messages go unanswered.

stevens54 said:
Same here I have lost my entire retirement fund! Something should be done about this.

stevens54 said:
I’m not coping well at all. I’m watching 25 years of savings going down the drain. I was stupid enough to have my entire retirement fund invested in this. All I can hope for is to eventually break even if it should ever get back to $5. This was like a punch right in the gut.

Danxxx7777 said:
I think a good portion of people here lost everything. Myself included. So very sorry to hear about the family, but remember it's just paper. God loves you (whether you believe or not). Your family loves you.

JoefromCranston said:
ok well I am done, done managing my own retirement, done with everything. i just hope my wife does not leave me. my parents are not going to be happy, this is not good. sold it all, i am DONE

Bond007 said:
I am dead meat. All my money is in GTAT and on my stocks I was doing margin. Since I owe way more than what's in there, I don't know what will happen to margin. Some people were smart, I believed so much in GTAT potential and lost all my savings including my 401K, IRA. At this point, I don't know what to do. I told my wife about this and she was upset and angry at my stupid move. But she still loves me.

Bond007 said:
This would be my last post on this forum. I am officially signing off. Thanks for all the contributions. I am still in shock and all the money is gone and I owe $107K in margin accounts. I have prepared my profit and loss for filing a case and here the final numbers…Basically my net loss is around $750K in stocks and $140K in options. All my earnings for the past 15 years are gone in one night.

All I can wish is, all of family members of TG and the crooked directors face some grueling death. Yesterday I was in the verge of committing suicide myself and with a loving family, I didn’t have the courage. Good bye to all. Time to start Life 2.0

Ocelot said:
I heard the news after getting off a plane yesterday. Ouch. I lost a lot of money. Probably the equivalent of me saving diligently for the next 12-15 years. Well, only myself to blame.

And one of the favourites...

Wisconsincheese said:
Don't hate the player, hate the game. Anyway, I earned those shares, I bought most of them at around 3 before anybody even heard of sapphire screens, because I did my DD and understood their R&D efforts and that 2014-15 would likely lead to huge things and their technology would have value over time even if solar was in the tank. To invest basically all your net worth in GTAT at 3 when the stock is cratering and people are talking bankruptcies took some serious cojones but I knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would kick myself forever if I didn't go all in. Might have been slightly reckless and against all known investment strategies but with big risks, comes big rewards.

Anyway, it is not me you should be jealous of but my mom whose account I manage and has around 415k shares and probably doesn't know GTAT is on the Nasdaq. I have to set up separate accounts for her GTAT holdings so she doesn't see all her positions at once as she has been telling me to sell for it for more than a year and I have to keep telling her to wait and hide exactly how much of her portfolio is GTAT so she doesn't flip out about it.

Wisconsincheese said:
I am still here, I got some out on the way down but still had a lot on 10/6 and lost most of my fortune, but still have enough to live comfortably and a wife who loves and understands and knows I can make it back in time which is all that matters. As you can imagine I don't really want to talk about it and will be joining the class action suit which will probably lead to almost nothing.

Telling your Mum you've lost her ~$4m ... :eek:

Plenty of posts in that thread including some from people early on who've gone long and not posted since the announcement was made.

Don't be stupid!

Permabanned
Idiots! This is the risk you take when investing in shares, they have nothing to complain about its always a risk you will lose everything! If you can't afford to lose it put it in the bank! People get greedy when the going is good and fail

Soldato
This is the company that was rumoured to be providing Apple with its sapphire glass, right? Everything to do with that company in the past six months has sounded very shady. Apple pulled a very large payment at the last minute.

Man of Honour
Why would you invest in just one?
I just start investing, albeit it in funds going to invest in three different ones, before dabbling in some shares.
But even then I'm putting stuff in a big standard saving account as well. And its certainly not the amounts in the op,

Associate
Imagine the feeling of losing all your savings for you and your family and the prospect of having to sell your home and possessions! Doesn't bear thinking about.

I do feel sorry for them, but ultimately they knew the risks.

Soldato
Sigh.......

I know it's peoples faults, but whose fault is it also for putting ideas of riches in their heads and selling them this idea they can invest and make a nice return.

Blame lies everywhere....

I hate this kind of ****, I really REALLY do. It reminds me of gambling addicts and how people blame the gambler yet you have 10 betting shops in the high street all offering cut throat offers to bait you in and get you to gamble.

The problem with this society there is **** that is just CONSTANTLY baiting you in..... Look at fast food, HERE EAT THIS HAMBURGER THAT SCREWS UP YOUR HEALTH! quick take it! you don't see them shoving broccoli in your face telling you how eating it will give you mental clarity and a well functioning body.....

Idiots! This is the risk you take when investing in shares, they have nothing to complain about its always a risk you will lose everything! If you can't afford to lose it put it in the bank! People get greedy when the going is good and fail

This is also true... I agree, I went on a side tangent. They really need to do their research also not get too greedy, but in the case of the woman with the disabled son she just followed some advice from someone which turned out to be really really bad, I sympathise with her.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've lost a fair amount of money over the past few years, admittedly not as much as some of those posters. I could have cashed in for a 400% profit but thought I knew best and got sucked in to rumours. My investment is now down about 75% on my purchase price. I got greedy, it's as simple as that.

Don
And people are giving our government grief over employee pension enrollments. This is exactly the reason why they've done it, to protect idiots from their own actions!

This is the company that was rumoured to be providing Apple with its sapphire glass, right? Everything to do with that company in the past six months has sounded very shady. Apple pulled a very large payment at the last minute.
Sounds possibly more like that Apple screwed them over with their contract, but it remains to be seen what the actual facts are.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/gt-advanced-apple-unsealed-court-document-2014-11?r=US

Man of Honour
And people are giving our government grief over employee pension enrollments. This is exactly the reason why they've done it, to protect idiots from their own actions!

Sounds possibly more like that Apple screwed them over with their contract, but it remains to be seen what the actual facts are.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/gt-advanced-apple-unsealed-court-document-2014-11?r=US

Yep, just a shame it's not compulsory. Even if it's it's only like 1% + employer minimum.

Also a shame they aren't doing anything deceive with all the civil servent pensions. they really need to make a commitment to move away from the next generation pays, to actually investing their pensions. It would take many many decades to transition fully, but things have to start somewhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom