Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I have done very well out of Barc over the years, its a good safe place to invest which can still have some quite big gains if you get in at the right price. I sold out not long ago but would consider getting back in at around 225p if they fall to that level again

Caporegime
Naked traders's sell at 10% loss is quite a nice rule really. Sounds crazy but at the end of the day you buy shares cause you think they are going up.

If they are down 10% then sell as you obviously made the wrong call rather than 'oh its just a blip and they will recover' justification which only ends up with the losses increasing.

If only I could apply that rule now to AIMs :(

Soldato
10% wouldnt work on commodity shares, they swing more strongly then that. He is quite an aggressive short term trader and uses leverage so I think he has no choice with his rule. Also he re enters after selling, that might be much smarter really as you dont need to suffer the whole drop

BT are great shares to own. Mine have almost quadrupled over the last few years.

I used to work at BT. I'd say they are fair value now though all big companies are in a golden age for cheap money to do their take overs and such like.

Telefonica just sold the old BT mobile division, I think they made a decent amount on it. This helps finance hopefully greater growth in South America.

Where as BT is going back to mobile here?
I might be silly to say this but I think we'll move on from mobile being as profitable as it has been. Refinement and progress competitively just like land lines were so expensive in the past but now its just part of a package

Anyhow a bigger BT runs a risk of regulation especially with Labour looming as they are over Centricia for example

The actual BT shares are strong, at some point I'll do the paperwork for a sale. Cant say I bought on the lows, they were given to me at IPO

I think BP is a sale today but I might be stupid to do so as they pass 450. Panic in Yemen might allow them to rise generally, indexes are pulling back some and might continue
470/480 would be nicer, div in May ? I'll hold some to 550 as I have done before

share price was hit in a Over the top way
This always happens. Swings and roundabouts. a lot of share moves are from hot money, which is traders or people who buy but cant hold. So if you come from a safer place, can see a longer view thats the real secret to making money but its hard not to catch on whatever strife is occurring.
Yemen rebels are operating an airforce :eek: Al Qaeda operatives are also in the mix, that area affects shipping lanes for the Saudis I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quindell (qpp) on the verge of agreeing terms with Slater & Gordon for them to ourhase part of Quindells division, big talk on LSE and over 8% rise today, got in at 37p it's now at 127p! Going to throw a little more in tomorrow and hold for a while until they hit 400-600p again then bail.

Gfinity (gfin) shares purchased at around 30p hovering around 26-27p at the moment but these will hit the roof eventually I'm certain about it. They've just opened the first UK esports arena in Fulham (Sunday just gone) with VUE cinemas and have plans to open more Nationwide. Definitely going places, UK high street retailer Game bought out one of the biggest esports companies recently with many people wondering why they didn't consider GFIN as they're looking more attractive to investors at the moment. In for the long term with these!

Soldato
Gfinity just did a CSGO tournament. Some hitches but mostly ok after that I thought http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Gfinity

QPP could use the finance from that sale, nice turn around. Are they selling the family silver to pay the bills though

Share strength looks ok 170 a possible limit

Fund performance is a lot easier then guessing shares yourself - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/in...est-performing-investment-trusts-century.html

OIL price still up, a bit of outperformance by BP would be good but its lost 450 for now. Thats a barrier but the share looks strong, probably a hold by that measure unless theres something else not yet in the price
RDSB by comparison looks to have 2200 a barrier and maybe 2270 a good target past that

Malcy the legend, unfortunately he prob correct on GPX especially risk wise
1.7 was a good limit for QPP short term. Unsure of the deal effects longer term on price, more a tech company now?

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice cheque in the post today from Standard Life for the return of 73p per share from the sale of their Canadian business. Probably put it towards a new bike!

Shares consolidated now as well from 11 old to 9 new. Still going along great, 6 monthly dividends and great capital appreciation. I know it's techinically not a dividend cheque as the shares are now consolidated but still nice to have some money!

Associate
TUNG nicely recovering 215p and rising. 9% shorts still need covering at some point. As this is a five year investment this short term momentum means little to me however it is very exciting nonetheless.

Soldato
QPP trading suspended pending something (for those still following).

Saw the RNS today — wonder what that's about. I'm no longer in so it's more out of curiosity than anything else.

I have shares in them, didn't know that had happened, going to look into it now :)

Edit: Nothing major.

Quindell Plc (LON:QPP) requested earlier today that the London Stock Exchange (LSE) suspend trading of its shares after it had discovered a ‘small mistake in the circular’ relating to the sale of the company’s professional service division.
Quindell’s shares had closed at 135.00p yesterday, completely reversing the 20 percent jump since Monday.
Quindell, the AIM-listed insurance outsourcer, had the LSE suspend trading of its shares and revert 126 operations made between 9.40am and 9.42am, equating to a volume of 403,512 and value of about £0.5m. The company said a ‘small mistake in the circular’ on the sale of Quindell’s professional service division had warranted the suspension of trade. The company said the problem constituted a ‘technical issue’, and is to make a statement on the matter later today with a view to correcting the error.

Idc I'm up 200%

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah pretty big deal and has took the BP + Shell merger idea away.

BP also up to 470 today. I sold a load more

Now waiting for the next opportunity to get back in, hopefully before 7th May (Ex div).

Caporegime
in laws will be happy - they have loads of shares from when my father in law worked for British gas/Centria/transco etc over the year:p

BG Group isn't British Gas anymore

British Gas are owned by Centrica now but I guess there must be a good amount of old British gas ones that moved to BG group? or did they all move to centrica?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom