*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S6/Edge Thread ***

Soldato
Great phone. Super poor battery

I disagree. Firstly, and admittedly weakly, coming from a 2 year old S4 with the original battery my S6 is miles better. With my S4 by the time I got back from work at 6 I'd be on 30% and the "low battery" warning would come on just before bed. With my S6 I still have around 70% charge left when I get back from work and have only seen it drop below 50% once so far before putting back on charge before bed.

Secondly, and more objectively people only seem to rate batteries on how long they hold a charge when in fact speed of charging is just as important and more so in some cases.

It's all very well having a battery that last 3 days but if it takes 4 hours to charge then you're screwed when you realise your battery is nearly dead an hour before going out. I can now use my phone as a GPS to get to my friend's house in London and put it on a half hour charge before going out when I get there and viola, full battery again.

Where do you get Nova from? This will be my first Andriod phone. Is there a nice list of recommended apps, settings, hints and tips I can look at?

Play Store....

Transmission breaker
Don
I have a fast charger for my Note 4 edge both at home, and in my car. That with a standard charger on my desk at work, I have never run out of battery! I am rarely below 50% mostly it never drops below 80% during the week :)

I dont know about the S6, but provided it can last more than a day with heavy use, its not an issue.

Soldato
What do define as "mediocre" battery life? As I said my S6 still has half the power left at the end of the day, is that considered poor now?

I didn't say poor did i? It's average.

4hrs average SOT is mediorce. That is what many reviewers achieved.

As long as your happy with it, that's all that matters.

ARS Technica:

QvBaZk4.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I disagree there IMO. You won't always have access to a fast charger. Proper stamina always wins. There's no excuse for mediocre battery life now.

I agree, thats why I didn't get an Nexus 6. The Samsung S6 out performers the N6 on the battery stakes.

I easily get 12 hrs standby and 4hrs on screen with heavy usage.

Soldato
Just got off the phone with EE as it's upgrade time... S6 coming tomorrow for free, £33.50/m with 10gb extra data. Couldn't be bothered haggling more so just went with it, not too bad I guess.

Now to buy some accessories! What's a good screen protector?

Soldato
Honestly, I can't see the point in spending all this money on a really fancy phone, and then being heavily restricted in data. A decent 4G signal could burn through that 4GB very quickly.
@dbmzk1
That's not a bad deal at all, although still happier without a data cap! :)

Soldato
sod that!

I use about 3-4gb most months, so should be fine. EE support WiFi calling which is useful as I get naff signal at home on all networks.

Honestly, I can't see the point in spending all this money on a really fancy phone, and then being heavily restricted in data. A decent 4G signal could burn through that 4GB very quickly.

Depends on usage, I don't watch anything other than the occasional YouTube video when out and about - so not really an issue for me. Most other things don't burn through that much data, so it's really an issue (for me).

Last edited:
Associate
Just got off the phone with EE as it's upgrade time... S6 coming tomorrow for free, £33.50/m with 10gb extra data. Couldn't be bothered haggling more so just went with it, not too bad I guess.

Now to buy some accessories! What's a good screen protector?

i'd be looking at something along the lines of that tomorrow when I can upgrade with EE!

wouldn't they go lower??

Soldato
My black wireless charger turned up from Amazon today. Now I'm just waiting for the phone - which will hopefully be defect free, arrived at the end of this week as scheduled and won't fall from my hands to the ground.

You can start from this thread (not a nice list but it works): http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18571592

Nova Launcher is available via the Play Store - there are free and paid versions. This is the web link to the free version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en_GB

Thanks for your advice. What would be your top 5 apps?

Soldato
Finally fixed my battery drain issue due to rooting. There's an issue with cf-root which means the phone never enters deep sleep. Fix: flash stock recovery and hey presto! Goes to sleep like a baby!

Back
Top Bottom