Old MSN 'winks'

V F

V F

Soldato
Lol! Some peoples memories. watch?v=ma6Dmq3HCps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klXpGybSi3A

What is wrong with the forums spitting up errors on a lot of videos?

Scary hearing the new message sound. Feels like 2000/01.

Yeah pretty much. A few of us were still using MSN on the cross-platform client 'Pidgin'. Then M$ finally pulled the plug on us before Christmas, about 6 months ago. Still, that was a good long while after they said they'd pull it. We then moved over to Jabber.

To be honest when the rise of iPhones in 2008/9 and Facebook/Twitter, at times I'm pretty sure at least from 2010 MSN fell off the cliff.

Once everyone and their friends knew about Facebook and Twitter, game over. They weren't interested in instant messaging anymore. Whether that is good or not, I don't know anymore. At least with forums they aren't used as a narcissistic tool. Or it isn't as obvious.

Soldato
It makes me wonder however if these things will make a comeback at some point. I have very find memories as a kid of chatting and flirting on msn, I don't know if kids experience that any more.

I'm sure that's what the previous generation thought of us, missing out on whatever they did.

Associate
Yeah. I find it quite sad to be honest. I was trying to describe the MSN Gaming Zone to some teenage guy on Steam the other week and after a while I realised that I sound like my dad explaining some boring thing from his era.

Once everyone and their friends knew about Facebook and Twitter, game over. They weren't interested in instant messaging anymore. Whether that is good or not, I don't know anymore. At least with forums they aren't used as a narcissistic tool. Or it isn't as obvious.

Maybe we're just old farts, but we found it more a personal experience sticking to emails and IMs. Status updates about what we ate for supper last night comes across as less personal.

Soldato
It was more to do with Microsoft being so slow to bring out mobile apps it died imo.

Who on earth wants to go on a laptop or computer just to talk to someone.

Facebook took over the computer space at the same time I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest when the rise of iPhones in 2008/9 and Facebook/Twitter, at times I'm pretty sure at least from 2010 MSN fell off the cliff.

Those things didn't cause the demise of MSN, Microsoft did, they just profited from it.

Back when Microsoft bought Skype everyone thought they were about to monopolise IM. Windows Live Messenger as it was now known had killed off Yahoo/AOL/ICQ and was the last IM standing, it had built in Facebook chat letting you talk to MSN/FB contacts, and with Skypes video chat intergrated it would be unstoppable.

And it would have, had microsoft integrated Skypes video chat into WLM and then advanced with mobile apps then today the would be no Facebook messenger app or WhatsApp, it would just be the Microsoft messenger app and it would be more popular than SMS.

Sadly we know the route Microsoft took, they had a brain fart and decided instead to drop messenger and focus on Skype, then when that failed they killed off messenger with the expectation it's users would move to Skype, which failed spectacularly as most moved to other platforms.

When all was said and done it was arguably the biggest mistake in the history of computing, in part because the customers made them aware of it ahead fo time, a luxury Xerox/IBM never had.

Soldato
Those things didn't cause the demise of MSN, Microsoft did, they just profited from it.

Back when Microsoft bought Skype everyone thought they were about to monopolise IM. Windows Live Messenger as it was now known had killed off Yahoo/AOL/ICQ and was the last IM standing, it had built in Facebook chat letting you talk to MSN/FB contacts, and with Skypes video chat intergrated it would be unstoppable.

And it would have, had microsoft integrated Skypes video chat into WLM and then advanced with mobile apps then today the would be no Facebook messenger app or WhatsApp, it would just be the Microsoft messenger app and it would be more popular than SMS.

Sadly we know the route Microsoft took, they had a brain fart and decided instead to drop messenger and focus on Skype, then when that failed they killed off messenger with the expectation it's users would move to Skype, which failed spectacularly as most moved to other platforms.

When all was said and done it was arguably the biggest mistake in the history of computing, in part because the customers made them aware of it ahead fo time, a luxury Xerox/IBM never had.

MSN did video chat just fine, Skype was irrelevant to this. I stopped using MSN when Facebook (and then WhatsApp) happened. Suspect most others did the same.

Soldato
So is it all about Whatsapp? Can it be intergrated into Skype? Does Whatsapp have a windows client?

It has a web client that works in google chrome as long as you have an android/winmo phone. web.whatsapp.com

I miss ICQ :<<

"uh oh!"

Loved ICQ and msn at the time!

The pings/nudges, dear god!

I remember connecting to the internet before BB just to talk to my mates which i'd left 10 mins prior haha :D

Bet plenty of us were guilty of that one :)

Back
Top Bottom