• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
@N19 - ahh I see - would you not have a punt and see what they can both do ;)

I'm curious but inside my H440 chassis the two cards already run at 84 degrees with a max sustained boost of 1290Mhz.

Happy enough with their performance, and I'd likely get a 3rd card over overclocking. Reason I went for the superclocked ones.
Might be stable in benchmarks and gaming at an OC but if it's sitting at full pelt in Adobe rendering for a few hours I want stability.

mof

mof

Associate
I just got the G1 gaming card and I can't get windows or the nvidea control panel to change the desktop to 3840x2160 60hz. Only 30hz is an option. I've made sure that my monitor (Philips bdm 4065) is set to display port 1.2.

I've had this problem before and I solved it by choosing 3840x2160 PC resolution in the control panel but it always reverts to the 3840x2160 4k 2k UHD setting.
When I chose the 3840x2160 PC resolution and 60hz the screen went blank and had to revert back to the previous settings.

Anyone know how to solve this?

Associate
I am still disappointed with the coil whine noise of my G1 980TI. I wonder if I would have been better off with the MSI G6 instead. I saw earlier in the thread someone with similar complaints about the G1, who said the MSI is a lot quieter.

Associate
Ah been there, done that. I swap parts too much to bother with draining loops and buying new blocks.
Slot em in, make em cry with work and replace them. :D

Lucky u :p ive been down the multi gpu route but prefer single now that ive been there done that - water cooling is the next one on my hit list (got my list of parts ek g1 cover due in 2 months if ive got my info right, then imma prob go all in)

Caporegime
I am still disappointed with the coil whine noise of my G1 980TI. I wonder if I would have been better off with the MSI G6 instead. I saw earlier in the thread someone with similar complaints about the G1, who said the MSI is a lot quieter.

No idea what a coil whine free G1 is like for noise. But got the msi here and its exceptionally quiet. But seen some reports of people getting a bit if coil whine on it too, along with various other ti's. Thankfully I've not experienced any on mine.

Caporegime
I just got the G1 gaming card and I can't get windows or the nvidea control panel to change the desktop to 3840x2160 60hz. Only 30hz is an option. I've made sure that my monitor (Philips bdm 4065) is set to display port 1.2.

I've had this problem before and I solved it by choosing 3840x2160 PC resolution in the control panel but it always reverts to the 3840x2160 4k 2k UHD setting.
When I chose the 3840x2160 PC resolution and 60hz the screen went blank and had to revert back to the previous settings.

Anyone know how to solve this?

maybe add a custom res?
reinstall your monitor driver

Associate
The coil whine on my 2x G1 980 Ti's were quite bad, but my 2x replacement MSI 980 Ti Gaming does have a extremely small whine, so small you have to put your ear next to the card to hear it. When the side panel is on its silent, so a big improvement over G1's.

Associate

Yikes, I have the same monitor and am experiencing the same issue (AMD card) and have been pulling my hair out over it all day. Got another DP cable coming tomorrow to hopefully fix it. Hope its not the monitor! :eek:

mof

mof

Associate
Yikes, I have the same monitor and am experiencing the same issue (AMD card) and have been pulling my hair out over it all day. Got another DP cable coming tomorrow to hopefully fix it. Hope its not the monitor! :eek:

I don't think it's the monitor or the cable. I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and fixed it but now it's happening again with a new graphics card. I'm going to try reinstalling the monitor drivers.

Also would anyone recommending using the gigabyte OC guru over afterburner for oc'ing?

Associate
@ Mof

Just found this about the Phillips monitor from another PC forum.
Will let you know if my new cable fixes it or not tomorrow - would appreciate the same :)

I did have a couple of minor hiccups I don't mind sharing. First I couldn't get it to sync at 60Hz. I set the OSD to 1.2, re-checked that the GPU was compatible, and even the driver listed it as a supported rate, but if I chose it the resolution got lowered to compensate. Every indication was that it was a bandwidth problem. I was using an old DP cable from monoprice made before the 1.2 spec existed, and it was either 12' or 15' long. I ordered a new 6' "premium" DP 1.2 cable from monoprice and it just arrived this morning. Synced right up at 60Hz no problem!

mof

mof

Associate
@ Mof

Just found this about the Phillips monitor from another PC forum.
Will let you know if my new cable fixes it or not tomorrow - would appreciate the same :)

Thanks. Will do.

EDIT: I bought a new cable and it worked too! Still don't understand why a cable would work one day and not the next like that.
EDIT2: 26/07/15 The problem keeps coming back with the new cable. Unplugging it from the graphics card and or monitor and reconnecting the cable seems to reset the problem and allow you to choose the right resolution and refresh rate.
If anyone else gets this problem try this before getting a new cable because it might be a waste of money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom