OcUK forums and https

Soldato
I'm not trying to argue, I was just pointing out something that was wrong (and quite misleading to those who don't know how HTTPS works). Anyway - no excuse nowadays for no HTTPS. Get it sorted!

Soldato
i work in computer, The S in HTTPS stand for "Super Not good".

It is recommended that you use HTTPRG which means Hypertext transfer protocol Rate Good.

Soldato
I'm glad they don't.
Why? Only reason I don't browse OcUK on my phone is because of 0 mobile support. I don't care if it's an app, or mobile friendly theme! Having to pinch to zoom to see/post anything is annoying. Not sure why there's so much resistance to upgrade these forums. I guess nobody wants to pay for for it or spend the time on it. I did hear they are upgrading vbulletin at some point though, maybe they'll give us a mobile theme then.

Also, PLEASE SOMEONE CHANGE THE COPYRIGHT AT THE BOTTOM FROM Ocuk to OcUK!

Last edited:
Soldato
When you create a password it is hashed on the server, but you have to send it as plain text first.

maybe it has JavaScript to hash the password client side? Never actually looked at it but I assume that's how it would be done. Obviously without JavaScript it might not work or it'd send it in plain-text.

Soldato
Why do people have this sense of entitlement about these forums? Hands up who's paying for membership?

OK....and hands up who's fed up of all the revenue generating ads? Hang on.....

If your tinfoil hat wearing sensibilities dont like it, go elsewhere. Or volunteer to pony up the costs yourself to host and run the forums instead?

Nobody is forcing you to use the forums, nobody is expecting you to use them and OcUK don't require that you use them for anything to do with their business. The web store is properly secured and configured with HTTPS of course

Man of Honour
Why do people have this sense of entitlement about these forums? Hands up who's paying for membership?

If your tinfoil hat wearing sensibilities dont like it, go elsewhere. Or volunteer to pony up the costs yourself to host and run the forums instead?

Providing something for free isn't an excuse not to maintain it. There have been lots of discussions about migrations and upgrades and I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sure it'll happen....eventually.

Soldato
maybe it has JavaScript to hash the password client side? Never actually looked at it but I assume that's how it would be done. Obviously without JavaScript it might not work or it'd send it in plain-text.
The post to login passes it through a javascript md5 hash before posting. Still, not great not having HTTPS. But, honestly, it doesn't really matter for a forum like this. We don't store anything in our accounts.

Nobody is forcing you to use the forums, nobody is expecting you to use them and OcUK don't require that you use them for anything to do with their business. The web store is properly secured and configured with HTTPS of course

I'm sure it easily pays for itself in the business it brings in and the shop advertising :)

Soldato
Providing something for free isn't an excuse not to maintain it. There have been lots of discussions about migrations and upgrades and I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sure it'll happen....eventually.

No, quite - but receiving something for free should be an excuse to not complain about it!

Soldato
My bad, i automatically go into thinking about tapatalk. With the frustrating pop ups etc.

I may not browse as much as you guys but i don't really use the mobile to browse the forums so it doesn't really bother me either way. Granted if you guys OCUK instead of other social media when you're out and about i can understand.

Soldato
My bad, i automatically go into thinking about tapatalk. With the frustrating pop ups etc.

I may not browse as much as you guys but i don't really use the mobile to browse the forums so it doesn't really bother me either way. Granted if you guys OCUK instead of other social media when you're out and about i can understand.

Browse this forum on your computer, then load the same site on your phone. Tell me the mobile theme doesn't make browsing a million times better on the phone screen.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

A good mobile theme is a massive improvement over a desktop theme on a phone.

OcUK is fine on a tablet, you don't have to zoom around really on my iPad, but on my phone it's just plain frustrating, having to constantly zoom and move the page around to see the posts. A good mobile theme would solve this.

Associate
The post to login passes it through a javascript md5 hash before posting. Still, not great not having HTTPS. But, honestly, it doesn't really matter for a forum like this. We don't store anything in our accounts.

I'm sure it easily pays for itself in the business it brings in and the shop advertising :)

While we don't store anything in our accounts, think of the mess someone with access to an admin account could do.

Back
Top Bottom