Midlife Crisis, am I having one?...

Soldato
It's only because we live in a dreary climate. If you lived in Venice beach or some trendy costal town with hot weather nobody would bat an eyelid you riding one.

Soldato
I am in my 6's and recently bought myself a PS! which I spent many happy hours gaming on. I still enjoy the games. Doom, Tomb Raider, Alien Trilogy, Dino Crisis ETC ETC. Great fun.

Man of Honour
Do what you like. I'm 40 and still skate a bit (although I am completely **** compared to how I was in the past, in part due to fear of breaking).

Soldato
8wa73l.jpg

Permabanned
^^^ Skyway mags. That guy knows what's up.

I know guys in their 40s that still ride BMX. I used to ride BMX with them like 10-15+ years ago and they were all in their mid 20s and early 30s then. There's only two of them still ride BMX trails. One moved to America and the other to Canada, because the BMXing scene is better there (at least compared to how Northern Ireland was at the time). One of them actually works for a company that builds indoor wood and outdoor concrete skate / bmx parks.

Caporegime
Synthesisers are another one with me.

When I was in my teens, I used to read Future Music dreaming of the awesome £1500+ synths advertised in them like the Roland JP-8000 and Korg Prophecy that the Prodigy fella used.

However, when I was 24, I actually bought a prophecy off of eBay. Was sadly very underwhelmed. I think we've come so far with affordable technology that most things vintage seem underwhelming now. I could never get why some people paid absolute thousands for synths like Moogs and Oberheims compared to buying a modern day workstation for cheaper.

Caporegime
I loved my BMX when I was a kid. I was raised in a relatively poor family and always made do with cheap stuff. Then one day a local rich kid's BMX got stolen and his dad bought him a brand new one. A couple of months later the stolen one was found again and was dismantled and put in a box in the attic. I eventually offered him R150 for it (roughly £50 in today's money I would guess) and he agreed, but it came in bits, so as a teeny tiny tot I built it all by myself and it was my baby. I'll never forget it.

Mongoose frame, Redline bars, GT forks, all chrome. I even had my own little bottle of Silvo for it. That thing was bad ass.

I'd love it back again, but sadly it's disappeared into the memory banks.

Permabanned
Flat land apparently isn't really a thing anymore too.

It was always a niche of BMX anyway. I just didn't have the co-ordination for it and it didn't excite me as much as trail riding. Only remember the names of two fellas from here that made any kind of impact on the flatland scene. Peter Hollinger and Dino Jeffers. And Jeffers spent more time abroad than here in Ireland. Although I think he moved back a few years ago.

Soldato
Soldato
It was always a niche of BMX anyway. I just didn't have the co-ordination for it and it didn't excite me as much as trail riding. Only remember the names of two fellas from here that made any kind of impact on the flatland scene. Peter Hollinger and Dino Jeffers. And Jeffers spent more time abroad than here in Ireland. Although I think he moved back a few years ago.

It wasn't so much for me, at least with the guys I used to ride with. Probably largely as there were no skate parks around me and the nearest was a train ride away. Even that only had a bowl and basic stuff.

I always remember Chase Gouin, Kevin Jones for flatland and spent hours watching old VHS tapes of them.

The red bull channel occasionally has some good stuff too.

http://youtu.be/5l7GN7bI9as

Back
Top Bottom