Midlife Crisis, am I having one?...

LzR

LzR

Associate
OP
Had a Raleigh Super Tuff Burner then a PK Ripper in the 80s. Wish I had kept it, they cost a small fortune now.
See this is it, i had a super tuff burner in all its golden 'skyway' glory, i want it again, badly :eek:
I got to mid 30's and started to buy stuff I wanted, it's what us blokes do. BMX, home computers from the early 80's, Big Tracks, Crossfire, Vectrex. Rights of passage.
Oh my, Big Track, you got me going now...

If you intend to ride it, yes. If you want a minter for show in your man cave, not so much.

Remember - you won't bounce as well now as you did then.
I didn't bounce well back then, but i kinda liked that? ...

If you want something fun to ride, get a mistress instead.
Oh i have ridden way too many of those, i'm thinkin break neck speeds on retro hardware is safer?

Jay

LzR

LzR

Associate
OP
Do it.

And post some videos of you wheelying for 6" and bunnyhopping a fraction of an inch before collapsing and laying on your back panting exhausted in the playground whilst the youfs circle you and your bike before removing your wallet, watch, phone. For some inexplicable reason they leave your trainers.
Just brilliant, i think i might just do that :)

Jay

LzR

LzR

Associate
OP
Don't worry about it and just buy one ;)
Looking :)

If you're getting one to ride at a bike track/ramps or to do stunts on then that's fine.

If I saw a 40 year old riding to work on a BMX though I would chuckle to myself. :D
There's a guy that rides past mine every day on his way to work and yes he does look like a tool.

Do downhill mountain biking instead.
I already do, i was stopping and having a break (trail riding) when two guys came flying past on BMX's, they were the coolest dudes I have ever seen.

I had one of these, never really did any BMXing.

I had a women's fur coat collar wrapped around the rear seat upright bars. My chums would sit on the back and hold on for a seater. Classy I know.

ChopperScan25.jpg
Had one too, but in addition i had a long 70's style fibreglass car aerial attached to the seat upright, with a flag on top, how cool was I... ;)

Jay

LzR

LzR

Associate
OP
I loved my BMX when I was a kid. I was raised in a relatively poor family and always made do with cheap stuff. Then one day a local rich kid's BMX got stolen and his dad bought him a brand new one. A couple of months later the stolen one was found again and was dismantled and put in a box in the attic. I eventually offered him R150 for it (roughly £50 in today's money I would guess) and he agreed, but it came in bits, so as a teeny tiny tot I built it all by myself and it was my baby. I'll never forget it.

Mongoose frame, Redline bars, GT forks, all chrome. I even had my own little bottle of Silvo for it. That thing was bad ass.

I'd love it back again, but sadly it's disappeared into the memory banks.
Nothing like building your own. After having my 'factory' Super Tuff Burner I wanted something more bespoke. Minerva freestyle frame, skyways, redline bars, all white and blue, lovely :)

Jay

Back
Top Bottom