My Golf R Estate has arrived

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;28760734 said:
Looks nice. You've sold me on the felt lined door bins - too many cars don't have those!

Bizarre to quote the list price of the 'considered cars' though, especially given that the Golf is leased. Whats the purpose behind that?

Not to mention it will likely be worth a decent amount more than the GFV as well.

Soldato
I really like that. So much so that I have been speccing one up of late as a replacement for the 5 series now the Seat can take over on kid shuffling duties.

To be fair though, I wasn't going to get a standard one either though. These are the options I will be looking at...

Special metallic - Lapiz blue £610
Winter pack - Golf (when ordered with Bi-Xenon headlights and leather upholstery) - £250.0
Dynamic chassis control - £830.0
19" Pretoria alloy wheels - £895.0
Dynaudio sound pack - Golf SE/GT/Match/R-Line - £545.0
Vienna leather - Black + 12 way electric adjustable driver seat + heated front sport seats + lumbar support - £2395.0

But I haven't had time to go to my local dealer yet to price it up locally. Only have the Carwow quote so far. Of course, in that spec, it's almost a £40k golf...

For all those who asked about not speccing up the leather, it's because it's a lease. So any options are basically paid for, in their entirety, over the term of the lease. So the leather would have added another £2395 to the total ownership cost. At least when you buy it rather than lease it, your residual value increases to some degree.

Anyway, would love to be kept updated with ongoing views on the car, and, heaven forbid, fuel economy, lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice motor! Didn't even realise an estate version was coming in the R.

I've driven my mates R, it's the hatch though and in white. I don't like the silver mirrors and trim on the front. I typically dislike VW's, they just don't interest me at all but I love how subtle the "R" actually is and what you get from it. Build quality is superb, everything about it feels solid and planted. The AWD system on it is outstanding and I had immediate confidence and feel for it. It's not insanely quick, low down it punches well but for only being a little baby engine it sure is punchy!

Happy tinkering with your profiles! I had a cycle through the eco/sport etc and his custom profile. The steering feel for around town and then on back roads between the eco and sport is very good and not just a gimmick, actually useful. And in full sport loud exhaust mode it does sound pretty good ;)

So yeah, not a VW fan but even I would own one. Very nice car all round. My mate said typically getting 35mpg's which is a mix of his Mrs pottering about town in it and driving B roads in between.

nam

nam

Soldato
very nice , looks like my R except it is not an Estate :) did you get the MIB II as an option, interested in seeing how the android auto or apple equivalent works..

Soldato
Lovely motor and definitely something I'd consider should I ever need the space - Golf GTI (Mk7) is currently fine in that respect.

The one thing I absolutely detest about the R's? Those mirrors. Horrible horrible decision to not colour match them to the car. Apart from that, lovely jubbly.

nam

nam

Soldato
you can get the mirror's in a different finish but at extra cost. I have seen them in Carbon Black on a few member R's in the forums. We do get the best spec on the R's in the UK with the Adaptive Cruise and LED tail lights as standard. The EU, Asia, US model's have these and a few other features missing.

Soldato
OP
Thanks folks :)
Something which impresses - the cornering headlight function, it really does make a difference.

Any reason you didn't opt for leather seats though? I guess it doesn't matter on a lease car but if you have bought it that would surely have affected the resale value?

Very nice, would have finished it off nicely with leather seats though, how come you didn't spec those?
I've had leather seats on a previous car and didn't like them - freezing in the winter (until heated kicks in) and sticky in the summer. They also cost £1.5k+ which makes a big difference to ownership cost over 2 years.

[TW]Fox;28760734 said:
Bizarre to quote the list price of the 'considered cars' though, especially given that the Golf is leased. Whats the purpose behind that?
I added the cost for comparison. Most people laugh at the price for a Golf but when compared to the other cars it's good value.

That boot is gigantic, but the only way it's bigger than the Passat, A6, 5 Series, etc is because the rear passengers have much less legroom. The other cars must have a larger load capacity with the seats down though.
The back is quite roomy - more space than my 1 Series
Seats folded flat
Golf Estate : 1620
A6 Avant : 1680

Not much difference especially considering the A6 is 2 cars up in the range. Golf/A3, Passat/A4, A6

Last edited:
Man of Honour
For me it doesn't work style wise, not that this should bother you at all. Golf's since the Mk5 have been cracking cars, sure this will be the same.

Soldato
I have a soft sport for fast estates, it looks great! How big is the turbo to get 300hp out of a 2 litre or am I just behind the times like usual!?

But Do I detect only two actual exhausts hiding behind the quad tail pipes?

Back
Top Bottom