My Golf R Estate has arrived

Soldato
I've been waiting over 6 months but finally today my perfect car arrived and it is every bit as good as I hoped it would be; very quick, a plush auto box, traction everywhere and loads of space.

22792765231_50550edd5d_o.jpg

The interior seems to be of higher quality than my 1 Series (F20). Sport R seats, gloss black fascia, carbon door trims and felt lined door bins :)

22688821996_4b8f33376c_o.jpg

22701258042_c9604c817a_o.jpg

The reason I went for the estate version; the boot has over 600 litres of space, it's larger than a 5 Series Touring and Audi A6 Avant. There is also a handy load through middle section which saves dropping the seats for longer items.

22714822185_6a2c166f12_o.jpg

Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) - The Eco, Normal and Race driving modes determine when it auto shifts and there are paddle shifters for manual changing behind the steering wheel.
Four wheel drive was another reason I wanted a Golf R. Hopefully no more embarrassing, getting stuck moments, when the grass is damp or there is a light frost, which happens to render my road impassable in my BMW.

22714821235_42fe162af3_o.jpg

Standard kit is pretty good – adaptive cruise, power fold door mirrors with puddle lights, auto lights/wipers, dual climate, DAB, F & R visual parking sensors, xenon lights with unique to the R double U-shaped DRL’s and ambient blue lighting. Most of this list are options on the other considered cars listed below.

22093673893_ea7a979f91_o.jpg

Quad exhausts – the only obvious visual separating it from a standard TDi Golf. In Race Mode flaps in the outer pipes open up for more noise.

22688823436_68e7192a56_o.jpg

The engine – not much to see. Just a 2 litre, 4 cylinder petrol turbo delivering 300 PS (296bhp) and 280 ft/lb torque @ 1,800rpm.

22714821805_78a6e4663c_o.jpg

For a Golf the price is quite high (RRP £33.5k, discounted £27.2k), but there is no other car on the market which offers similar levels of performance, traction and luggage capacity in one package any cheaper. Also, the amazing lease deal offered on the R made the final decision very easy.

The other options I considered:
  • Seat Leon Cupra Estate DSG: £31k, (no AWD and less power)
  • Focus ST3: £27k (much smaller boot, no AWD, no auto and slower)
  • BMW 3 Touring 335D X-Drive: £42k, (much smaller boot)
  • Audi S4 Avant: £45k (much smaller boot)
  • Audi S6 Avant: £58k (smaller boot)
  • Mercedes-AMG CLA 45 4MATIC: £43k (much smaller boot)
  • Jaguar F-Pace 3.0 S: £52k (pretty much identical package but not available until April 2016)

Lease vs Purchase Cost comparison (2 years, 10k miles pa)
To buy the car would have cost me £800+ more and I would have had the hassle and cost of selling it on.
  • Lease : £4.2k per year. Total rental cost £8.4k
  • Purchase: Finance at 6%, £13.6k per year. Total purchase cost £27.2k. GFV after 2 years: £18k. Total ownership cost: £9.2k

Some arty photos

22726008021_1b7af1f169_o.jpg

22688823036_de1f8020b4_o.jpg

22092068384_305ddd6887_o.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks folks :)
Something which impresses - the cornering headlight function, it really does make a difference.

Any reason you didn't opt for leather seats though? I guess it doesn't matter on a lease car but if you have bought it that would surely have affected the resale value?

Very nice, would have finished it off nicely with leather seats though, how come you didn't spec those?
I've had leather seats on a previous car and didn't like them - freezing in the winter (until heated kicks in) and sticky in the summer. They also cost £1.5k+ which makes a big difference to ownership cost over 2 years.

[TW]Fox;28760734 said:
Bizarre to quote the list price of the 'considered cars' though, especially given that the Golf is leased. Whats the purpose behind that?
I added the cost for comparison. Most people laugh at the price for a Golf but when compared to the other cars it's good value.

That boot is gigantic, but the only way it's bigger than the Passat, A6, 5 Series, etc is because the rear passengers have much less legroom. The other cars must have a larger load capacity with the seats down though.
The back is quite roomy - more space than my 1 Series
Seats folded flat
Golf Estate : 1620
A6 Avant : 1680

Not much difference especially considering the A6 is 2 cars up in the range. Golf/A3, Passat/A4, A6

Last edited:
Sure, the 1 M Sport has more roll but is also less compliant over bumps and ultimately less comfortable than the R.

These are the options I will be looking at...

Special metallic - Lapiz blue £610
Winter pack - Golf (when ordered with Bi-Xenon headlights and leather upholstery) - £250.0
Dynamic chassis control - £830.0
19" Pretoria alloy wheels - £895.0
Dynaudio sound pack - Golf SE/GT/Match/R-Line - £545.0
Vienna leather - Black + 12 way electric adjustable driver seat + heated front sport seats + lumbar support - £2395.0

Anyway, would love to be kept updated with ongoing views on the car, and, heaven forbid, fuel economy, lol.
Nice spec - I do like the 19" Pretoria wheels

Fuel economy - I'm expecting to get around 32-35 mpg overall average which is about 12-9mpg less than my petrol 1 Series. This equates to an approx extra £400 per year on fuel (10k miles) which isn't a significant increase (also factoring in the higher cost of 99RON vs 95RON fuel)

I'm impressed by the amount of storage areas in the front.

In the 1 Series I had to pay extra for a small storage area by the steering wheel and some crappy nets behind the front seats - that was it.

In the Golf, as standard there are loads more places to put things:
  • A pull out tray under each front seat
  • sunglasses storage in the roof
  • press out cover storage under the climate controls
  • much deeper arm rest storage
  • under steering wheel storage
  • massive door bins with angled drinks bottle space
  • proper seat pockets
  • cup holders which actually hold drinks securely and don't get in the way of the gear stick

.....and they are all felt lined :D

Last edited:
Is there any turbo lag or is it pretty much torquey all the way through?
I'm no expert in turbo lag vs no lag so can't answer that one myself.
However, a recent RS4 vs Golf R Estate Autocar article can

There is no lag and its sound is so clean and cultured that you’d think there was nothing interrupting the flow of its gases from combustion chamber to outside world.............the wall of torque maintains thrust regardless
Source : http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vw-golf-r-vs-audi-rs4-comparison

The Octavia is slower, doesn't have four wheel drive and boot space is the same.
Similar performance 4x4's are LOL prices and heavy.
MPV's - nothing comes close.

[TW]Fox;28769876 said:
Can you explain how you considered the F-Pace when it didn't even exist when you placed your order?

Come on, you threw it in the list so everyone would go 'Wow, look at those amazing cars he considered' didn't you :p

The F-Pace wasn't a consideration when I ordered it. I checked it out when info was available and found the 3 litre petrol S model to have identical performance, space and drive. The extra £20k gets you a Jag badge and a better quality interior. Plus a family member works for JLR so a potential discount could make it a viable option in 2 years.

Last edited:
I also like the very bright led's when you open the doors at night

done any launches yet ?

No launches yet. I did a 20-60mph flat out which scared my partner :D.

260 driven delivery miles !?!? Usually above 100 miles they truck it to the customer.

Although no one buys this car for fuel economy there are times when you are forced to drive eco slowly and that time was this morning.
On my trip to work I put the car in Eco mode too see what mpg I could achieve. The outcome was 40mpg (through morning town traffic, cold start with the engine on about 200 miles).

VW quote 40.4mpg on the Combined Cycle so it's in line with their data.

22531388639_7037ee8a73_o.jpg

[TW]Fox;28797658 said:
I sense the 1 Series saga all over again - nobody else could ever get close to your claimed figures on that, either. How did you manage to cover 15 miles in just 28 minutes through morning town traffic? I suspect claiming it's 'morning town traffic' which for most people is stop start paints an unfair picture of just how easy the drive was...
I'm just reporting what the car did. The traffic wasn't that heavy but it was through Henley In Arden and Warwick, which are towns, in the morning ;).

Sure on board computers aren't 100% accurate but my guess it's within 1-3% +/-. My current cumulative average is about 24mpg.

Last edited:
Eco mode on this takes some getting used to. It goes into a coast mode which it means it gathers speed very quickly when going downhill.

You guys are tough. What are you going to do when the engine loosens up and I get 47+ on a longer run with no stops :p

34mph average is firmly in the 'extra urban' category. 40mpg not impressive for a gently driven 2litre, sorry.
Really, show me another 300bhp 4WD petrol car which does better mpg?

[TW]Fox;28797864 said:
'I considered the F Pace but the Golf is so amazing I picked it instead' = 'I did not consider the F Pace as it didn't even exist when I ordered my Golf
You read my first post right? I did say it was unavailable until 2016.
Just like you considered a petrol 530i but none were available.

Last edited:
I also was also considering a Porsche Macan but the wait was over 8 months.

The Golf came at just the right time but I recognise for money there are better cars.

Back
Top Bottom