Candy Crush to be taken over by Blizzard!

BBC news link.

This one surprised me! The Bejeweled-like game, made by King will soon be part of Blizzard. I remember Bejeweled itself was one an app/mod playable from inside the World of Warcraft game, so guess that mod will soon be replaced with Candy Crush!

How will this affect Frozen Freefall? That was just a clone of Candy Crush right down to the power-ups. Combining the power-ups did the same too. So I presume King leased the game, or at least the game engine to Disney? Cinderella Freefall, while similar to Frozen Freefall (i.e. a match-3 game) has the same game engine but isn't a clone of Candy Crush.

Soldato
Lol, ive never tried Candy Crush, but i did give Tetris a go once, didnt think much of that. I dont understand all these mini-games inside WoW, some of my friends are so busy doing them they dont actually raid or PVP anymore.

Soldato
Seems an insane amount of money to pay for the company, especially when you compare it to something like Minecraft, which was a "mere" $2.5billion.

Saw somewhere that King was making $2million a year, though. Incredible.

Soldato
OP
Lol, ive never tried Candy Crush, but i did give Tetris a go once, didnt think much of that. I dont understand all these mini-games inside WoW, some of my friends are so busy doing them they dont actually raid or PVP anymore.

Yeah I never did the mini-games thing back in my WoW days either.

Have you ever played Sega Colums? Bejeweled is very similar in that it falls in the "match-3" genre. 4 or 5 matches (instead of 3) in a row created various power-ups. Candy Crush is the same type of game, just elaborating on power-ups further. I've only played Disney's Frozen Freefall but I know it's a clone, like as if King has leased the game engine out.

P.S. Zuma is also classified as match-3 genre, but is very different to Bejeweled / Candy Crush / Frozen. Think of Space Invaders / Asteroids... but with marbles :D

Soldato
I played WoW mainly 2005-9 era but yeah some mini-games got added after I left. Apparently the games (Bejeweled etc) got added to Facebook too. Guess they played as browser games e.g. Flash inside the browser?

What? Where did you get that from? nothing even close to that in wow.

Associate
Candy Crush will generate far more revenue than WoW ever could so no surprise. The brand name is worth that alone. It's the no.1 Bookface gambling app that even your granny plays.

Soldato
OP
More Activision side than Blizzard,

It's bizarre that they've paid more for candy crush than Disney paid for Star Wars.

o.. m.. g.. just googled it myself, and yes Star Wars was only acquired for $4bn, and Candy Crush for $5.9bn! Certainly an eye-opener O.o

Surely King's revenue cannot be greater than Blizzard's? I thought that WoW would be near the top of the bestsellers list, alongside Sims, Mario, Sonic, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, GTA and some of the FPS games like Halo?

Soldato
o.. m.. g.. just googled it myself, and yes Star Wars was only acquired for $4bn, and Candy Crush for $5.9bn! Certainly an eye-opener O.o

Surely King's revenue cannot be greater than Blizzard's? I thought that WoW would be near the top of the bestsellers list, alongside Sims, Mario, Sonic, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, GTA and some of the FPS games like Halo?

It's the monthly subs that make WoW so profitable, there's still currently 5.5 million players paying.

Back
Top Bottom