FX-8350 Overclock

Soldato
What is the safe temp for a FX-8350?
I remember the Phenom IIs used to be 65ºC didn't they? Although I heard the 95W ones were 75ºC or something.

Anyway, I've got a FX-8350 clocked to 4.5GHz using a CoolerMaster 212+.
I'll admit I've not run IBT, but I just do the normal things I do including Video Encoding. seems stable for what I do and temps seem to top out around 60ºC I think.

Associate
OP
This is how the case looks. one fan at the front and one at the back. Then another one that sits over the graphics card. The PC has no side panels on it and its in a very cold room with no heating

Soldato
Rev 3 is a broken board both on the fxa and xa, Gigabyte screwed people and refused to admit they were faulty, then released a rev 4. I can't confirm if 3.1 fixed the vrm overheating issue. But it looks to me like the board is doing the same that the rev3 was famous for.

In the bios do you have an apm mode that can be disabled?

Apm is disable which i saw in the other thread, the temps have nothing to do with the vrm's.

The op just has a real hot chip or air flow is not right, is your cooler fan facing the the gpu.

What temp is it getting to with 1.3 volts.

Edit was thinking of HPC, look if your board has the latest bios.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apm is disable which i saw in the other thread, the temps have nothing to do with the vrm's.

The op just has a real hot chip or air flow is not right, is your cooler fan facing the the gpu.

No the board is hitting ocp the rev 3 had serious issues,
Apm is not disabled as he doesn't have it in the bios.
There's no cure for the classic throttling to 3.5ghz on his board when tmp1 hits 60c.

Associate
OP

Edit was thinking of HPC, look if your board has the latest bios.

At 1.3 i stopped it as it hit 70c. The bios is the last one they made for the board which was FD. This is how the fan is setup with it blowing on to the heatsink

No the board is hitting ocp the rev 3 had serious issues,
Apm is not disabled as he doesn't have it in the bios.
There's no cure for the classic throttling to 3.5ghz on his board when tmp1 hits 60c.

Tmp1 has never hit 60c as thats the motherboard, do you mean tmp2 if thats the case, he has to put a fan over the vrm's.

I did tell the op to get the ud3p as i know its a better board.

Soldato
Tmp1 has never hit 60c as thats the motherboard, do you mean tmp2 if thats the case, he has to put a fan over the vrm's.

I did tell the op to get the ud3p as i know its a better board.

Yeah sorry tmp2, whilst the cooler isn't the greatest he will still have throttling issues as the bios doesn't have the apm mode, so either a modded bios or some fan installations will be needed. I can't find the link but i remember a guy on overclock.net having a brilliant thread on his faulty ud3 rev 3 and Gigabyte mugging him off. I'm not sure 100% that rev 3.1 on the xa fixed the vrm issue as they didn't make a rev 4 like they did with the fxa.
Agreed theres a good 970a ud3p with a stronger phase and vrm circuit.
I used a 78lmt usb3 and a fx 8320 and that was really strong for a 4+1 phase too.

I think i see that thread aswell, i will have a look for it aswell.

I have the ud3p with my 8350 @4.8ghz but i had to put a fan on the front and back on the vrms as i never liked them going pass 80c.

With that 78lmt, there someone on ocn who hit 5ghz stable without throttling.

Back
Top Bottom