What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
soooo tacky - i wouldn't wear that. i would sell it, but i wouldn't wear it ;)

That's just one of many styles, as with anything, one mans caviar is another mans salty goop!

When you buy a Patek, it's for the artisanship, the painstaking craftsmanship, and the tradition... that's what the video shows!

Soldato
Anyone have much experience of Steinhart vs Chris Ward? Namely the Ocean vs Trident range.

People seem to consider them more or less equals, despite the Ward's costing significantly more (especially in Automatic form)?

CW have recently (ish) hiked their prices without an equally large rise in quality, so VFM-wise Steinharts are probably now a better deal.

I have a mk1 trident gmt and am very happy with it, though!

Last edited:
Associate
Tried on a Breitling Superocean Heritage in black while out doing some shopping today. Had seen it online and quite liked the look of it. Sadly I was really quite unimpressed. It just didn't feel special at all when it was on my wrist. It was on a shark mesh bracelet, which I must say was quite comfortable, but aside from that and the way the metal was polished, I could barely tell it apart quality-wise from my Steiny Ocean One. In some respects the Breitling almost felt more tinny than the Steinhart.
To be fair I doubt I would have dumped £3k on a Breitling but now I'm certain I won't. In fact, I'm gonna have a hard time ever spending four figures on a watch, considering how much value for money you can get out of steinhart and similiar brands. That is unless I ever have enough money for a PP/JLC/Grand Seiko *********. Instead I'll be looking at another Steinhart, possibly a Nav B or more likely, an Aviation Vintage or Automatic.

Do post a review of your Squale if you get one, Robbo. Looked into them a few times and they sound good :)

Last edited:
Associate
@RossG -- I also love my Steinhart (I got the Ocean Premium Blue) but what I regret is the clasp on the bracelet -- I think it's quite 'cheap' as it pressed steel. I have a Rolex replica that has a FAR superior bracelet.

The watch is lovely tho -- however, I also have the 45mm Planet Ocean, and there's /no/
comparison in terms of 'feel' of quality; just the antireflection on the PO is /vastly/ better, and not even mentioning the bracelet.

However, I do wear the Steiny a lot more than the PO, simply because it's that much smaller and at this season when you have jackets and stuff the PO can feel a bit bulky.

Never tried a Brietling...

Associate
Where did you get your Rolex replica bracelet from? I must admit that is it the weak point of the Ocean One and I wouldn't mind changing the bracelet. I've worn Omegas before and yeah the quality is better. Anti reflection as you say is much better, the lume is stunning and just a consistent quality package all round. The problem I have is that in no way are any of these watches worth ten times what a Steiny costs. The movement in the ocean one could probably hold it's own against most £2-5k watches even though it isn't COSC. That and the relatively small boost in quality I can no find no way in justifying many thousands of pounds for. I'd rather support a smaller watch company making great products than empty my wallet to a big swiss brand to pay for their massive marketing budgets. For me it it's that and the fact that I wear all my watches as daily wearers. I don't keep any aside for special occasions so I'd just be forever worried about bashing and dinging something so expensive. My steinhart has picked up a few scratches, mostly on the bracelet and bezel, but I was thinking of replacing it with a ceramic one anyway :o.
Got any pics of the premium blue by the way? I feel like the ones on the website won't do it justice.

Associate
Where did you get your Rolex replica bracelet from? I must admit that is it the weak point of the Ocean One and I wouldn't mind changing the bracelet. I've worn Omegas before and yeah the quality is better. Anti reflection as you say is much better, the lume is stunning and just a consistent quality package all round. The problem I have is that in no way are any of these watches worth ten times what a Steiny costs. The movement in the ocean one could probably hold it's own against most £2-5k watches even though it isn't COSC. That and the relatively small boost in quality I can no find no way in justifying many thousands of pounds for. I'd rather support a smaller watch company making great products than empty my wallet to a big swiss brand to pay for their massive marketing budgets. For me it it's that and the fact that I wear all my watches as daily wearers. I don't keep any aside for special occasions so I'd just be forever worried about bashing and dinging something so expensive. My steinhart has picked up a few scratches, mostly on the bracelet and bezel, but I was thinking of replacing it with a ceramic one anyway :o.
Got any pics of the premium blue by the way? I feel like the ones on the website won't do it justice.

The Rep is a deepsea from AliExpress, bought it to try the size/weight, and didn't like it too much in the end; it is pretty spectacularly made tho, and if it had better AR it'd be quite a good copy I think. I'm not sure /that/ bracelet would fit the Steiny tho, I'll have a try later... who knows...

Here's the Premium Blue. It's very, very impressive -- the Lume is as strong as the Omega -- but the Omega is bicolor, for extra bling :)

_1000478.jpg

_1000482.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

Back
Top Bottom