Proprietary Linux Video drivers 346.96

PDW

PDW

Associate
I would have thought using the 346.96 drivers would depend on the card you had. It used to be that using older drivers was better for the older cards and only use newer drivers for the newer cards.

I must admit I'm lazy when it comes to testing driver specific versions, I only change if I read somewhere that a specific driver is better or if what I'm getting doesn't match what others with similar hardware are achieving.

I only really test whether Windows or linux (ubuntu) is faster for cpu/gpu projects.

I do know that getting a video card to work (crunch) with Ubuntu can be 'fun'. [For 'fun' read 'I'm going to smash this into pieces if it doesn't work soon']. In the same vein, upgrading a ubuntu system is also likely to cause 'fun' trying to get it to work again so I avoid doing that.

I have found many sites saying, just do this and it will work, only to find it doesn't. The original link you gave looks like it should be straightforward, it even offers to let you choose the version of ubuntu and provide specific commands.

Is it the install you want to know about or those specific drivers for GPUGrid ?
I can't help with the latter.

JTG

JTG

Associate
OP
well this is what i did ...

open Boinc manager in advanced View
go to FILE, pull down menu/
exit Boinc manager & stop all work units

open a terminal window

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo service FAHClient stop

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*

reboot

open Boinc manager in advanced View
go to file / exit Boinc manager & stop all work units

open a terminal window

sudo service FAHClient stop

sudo apt-get install nvidia-346 nvidia-settings

sudo apt-get install nvidia-346-updates nvidia-settings

reboot

if necessary (if Boinc doesnt see the GPU any Longer/ F@H is not connecting ... this would be necessary)

sudo service boinc-client stop
sudo service FAHClient restart
sudo service boinc-client start

(NOTE: F@H with the white list of GPUs installed *GPUs.txt* will initialize the cuda drivers for the Boinc client/GPUGrid)

Yeah kinda both ... specifics of how to do it (see above)
and will it help?

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
I don't have FAH to worry about but I note you used xorg-edgers/ppa rather than the graphics-drivers/ppa you listed above.

Also, did you do that on a box with onboard graphics ?
I find that I need to uninstall the iGPU drivers and disable it and also add nomodeset to grub as follows...

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

I usually do get it to work but it's a pain.

Have you noticed an increase in PPD for GPUGrid (or FAH) with that version ?

JTG

JTG

Associate
OP
I don't have FAH to worry about but I note you used xorg-edgers/ppa rather than the graphics-drivers/ppa you listed above.

Also, did you do that on a box with onboard graphics ?
I find that I need to uninstall the iGPU drivers and disable it and also add nomodeset to grub as follows...

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

I usually do get it to work but it's a pain.

Have you noticed an increase in PPD for GPUGrid (or FAH) with that version ?

if i understand you ... you use the on board graphics chip for your display and the off board gpu to crunch ...

i cant live with that ... 10 seconds for a mouse click to respond ... nope .. dont got the patients for that

and i accomplish this by setting the BIOS to use off board Video ... so on board is "disabled" b4 i install the OS

i didnt use the drivers in the link because ...
i dont know how to install them ... so ... used what i could get running ... still ver 346.96

if someone wants to paste an "exactly" how to
use the link i posted ... im all ears

as far as performance ... im still messing with my builds ... so im not getting clean 24 hr runs ... before i downgraded to 346 ... i got a few days in a row of 2.2m PPD @ GPUGrid ... i did have the vast majority of one day of crunching yield 2.5m after the downgrade ... but ... im not going to say its an improvement until i have a few days of uninterrupted crunching and the PPD settle down into a decent average so i can judge

PDW

PDW

Associate
if i understand you ... you use the on board graphics chip for your display and the off board gpu to crunch ...

No, I don't use the onboard iGPU if I have a card added but the machines are usually initially set up without a gpu card fitted. I have to disable it in BIOS and OS if I later put a card into the box. Bits come and go :D

if someone wants to paste an "exactly" how to
use the link i posted ... im all ears
The instructions given are specific to the version of Ubuntu used, what version do you have ?

Back
Top Bottom