How much debt are you in and what for?

Soldato
Under £200k (mortgage).

Don't care what I'm worth if I peg it, the mortgage gets automatically paid and the wife will be set financially for life.

Saying that I do check my brakes before leaving for work each morning though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Too much. Expecting a £1x,xxx cheque from my motorbike accident soon, which should clear off my credit card debt though, so that'll give me breathing room for paying down other debts and saving for a house deposit.

Soldato
I owe $16.55 on my credit card. That's around £8. Reason for this mess I'm in is that I got my new credit card today and wanted to see if it works online. I bought a PC game. Seems to work just fine. Will clear the balance tomorrow and be debt free once more.

Soldato
Aged 23, I had 200% of my salary in unsecured credit card debt. Why they let me have so much is beyond me. I paid it all back though after getting them to agree to freeze the interest. My 20's were such a hassle due to the weight of debt.

I now have about 15% of my salary in unsecured debt.

Associate
I had to pay for my wedding with 2 months notice in 2014 after the in-laws said they'd pay for it, but couldn't, which killed my finances just as I was getting in an OK position, so..

£2k OD, £8K loan, £5k CC.

Needless to say, there's still some tension between us and them, as they've showed little remorse, and now they've got themselves sorted, they're living it up and buying crap, like at Christmas, they all bought themselves Apple watches, and my wife an expensive Wacom tablet... And they have the cheek to ask us as to when we're going to have kids, go visit them (they live in the US), get our own house.

Soldato
Mortgage: 168k
Loan: 5k
CC (interest free): 5.7k

Loan and CC are a combination of new boiler/new car/new windows for the house, all practical stuff that's required/added value/saved costs elsewhere.

Mortgage is heavily overpaid, loan and CC should be cleared in 2 years.

Man of Honour
Mortgage which is large (but so is my equity I guess). And presently a few thousand on cards related to work travel, but non-permanent.

Associate
Mortgage 170.1k (works out 67% LTV at current valuation)
Loan 1 3.3k
Loan 2 6.4k
Loan 3 1.4k (dfs sofa 0%)
CC 1 0.4k
CC 2 1.3k

Loans were car and home improvement. I have good income but no saving for large purchases. So stupidly low interest loans are good for me. 1.8% on car 4.9% on the home improvement. The car should be gone this year (or sooner if change it) solar panels sub 18 months.

CC 1 is general shopping. Gets paid off every month. Cashback on it.
CC2 was a emergency. Need a couple of months to pay that but it is 0% interest until July.

I am 33 tomorrow and still planning to retire at 58 (target can move)

Last edited:
Soldato
about 120k on the mortgage and about 2k on a cc but that will be mostly paid off by end of march I certainly expect it to be halved

Ive got 8200 in savings and a couple of k coming in bonus next month so i dont feel that things are too bad

Don
Nothing. I made a decision - after I nearly went bankrupt in 2009 due to my PPI not paying out when I lost my job - to never owe money again.
It's a bit of a bummer but I have a medical condition that can cause me to be unable to work at a moment's notice. You can't insure against that.

Soldato
Unsecured from when I was a silly teenager was 30k now down to 7k and will be done shortly. could have taken the easy way out many years ago with LILA bankruptcy but well pride got in the way :D

Back
Top Bottom