• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7990 Custom Bios - Remove Throttling

Caporegime
OP
Might have a 7990'on the way to replace my 290.

Matt I assume the 7990 is compatible with the 7900 series BIOS editing tools that I once used on my 7950/7970's?

Yep that's what i used to create the bios. Some 7990's became voltage locked (mine did, an XFX) when you tried to change the stock voltage so when i created the bios i left the voltage alone so that everyone could change it. However other 7990's work fine with a change to the stock voltage. YMMV.

Associate
Hi Matt

Just put a 7990 in my PC, I assume your bios etc is still worth adding with the new drivers etc?

Also, quick question, sometimes on games like arma 3 when I start the game I will get a noise kinda like a fan but the fans are already spinning an it sounds slightly different to a fan. It seems to stop when I get ingame on a server but wondering what it could be.

thanks

Caporegime
OP
Hi Matt

Just put a 7990 in my PC, I assume your bios etc is still worth adding with the new drivers etc?

Also, quick question, sometimes on games like arma 3 when I start the game I will get a noise kinda like a fan but the fans are already spinning an it sounds slightly different to a fan. It seems to stop when I get ingame on a server but wondering what it could be.

thanks

Hi Danny,

Should work fine.

What you're describing sounds like coil whine to me?

Associate
Hmm i wouldnt say its a whine it is hard to describe but maybe it is.

Just tried in skyrim and it seems to react to what i do, if i turn fast the noise lowers then goes back normal

Caporegime
Slapped this bios on my 7990's GPUs but can't push the clocks as far without crashing. Previously I could run 1.2ghz/1600mhz (watercooled).

I wonder if my PSU isn't upto it - its a 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M. May be maxing it out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't get it to work. I can get the USB stick done ok.

I can get it to boot from usb drive until it gets to the DOS prompt c:\

Any time I try to enter the bit

"12. You should be at dos prompt. Type atiflash -i to get the adapter number for both your gpu's. Typically it will be 0 and 1, unless you have a gpu in a third pci-e slot. You need the adapter number to tell it which gpu to flash."

atiflash -i

it says bad command. Nothing works :( atiflash all in lower case...then a single space...then hyphen and small lower case letter "i"

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Associate
For air cooling i recommend voltage no higher than 1.225v. For water cooling you should be ok up to 1.3v and beyond.
Hi Matt! :)
I know my question may a by offtopic, but you seem to know the answer.
What is the recommended max voltage under water for 295X2 ?

I'm getting pretty low temps (40-42C) with +100mV under full load.
Voltages on my cores vary, ΔV is about 40mV, GPU1 being the higher one.

I tried to go +200 or 250mV, not sure now, and my screen gone black. After that one of the GPUs was missing. Reinstalling the drivers didnt help. Had to turn off the PC, leave it be and then it suddenly started to work.Weird....:confused:

Associate
hi Matt!
i tried to upgrade my card bios and after upgrade it's not any display signal so I tried Change switch from 1 to 2 but i don't get result so i did 2 bios program by "TNM ELECTRONICS 5000+ Universal Programmer" the BIOS files I downloaded from this site:www.techpowerup.com
the file name is:"XFX.HD7990.3072.131128.rom"
but still problem
so please please please help me what can i do to fix it
thank you

Associate
Hi Matt

Thanks for posting your BIOS.

I have a fully functional Asus 7990 reference card. But when I flash the master GPU with Malta1 and slave with Malta2, I don't get any display after I restart and I have to revert to secondary BIOS. Card was working fine on first BIOS.

It's super bewildering. Could anyone shed some light on this? I don't see why it wouldn't work. :S

Back
Top Bottom