Air con potential issue

Man of Honour
Hi folks,

Think my air con isn't running quite well as it should. What comes out of it isn't really all that cold, even on max. I know it's not because of the ambient temps because it was quite warm this morning :/

I'm not convinced it just needs a re-gas as it was working fine midweek, but now it just doesn't seem to be there. I also wouldn't really want to risk paying for one only for it to do nothing or to leak away.

When I google it, all I get is a million pages on re-gas and conditioning. Can I just nip to any garage and ask them to see if there is a fault anywhere with it or is this more a specialized part? I'm clueless on car maint.

Soldato
take it somewhere for a re-gas, the first thing the machine does is suck out any remaining gas and then it does a vacuum test, that'll tell you straight away if there's an issue as the machine won't let it put any gas into a system that has any leaks. They usually won't charge or charge very little as they can't actually re-gas the car if there's an issue.

Associate
Have a quick look at the condenser, especially the lower part that is more exposed than the rest. Mine did that, one day it was fine then came to use it and nothing, revs dipped and rose when I turned it on/off. Had a golf ball sized hole at the bottom of the condenser.

SP

Soldato
I'd the compressor is engaging with a golf ball size hole in the condenser, there's something else wrong too. The system should never engage with no or low gas in it

Associate
The system should never engage with no or low gas in it
That would presumably depend on the make of car and whether they fitted the required detection/control system.

MooMoo444, if the air doesn't come out cold turn the AC off! Most AC compressors will be damaged when run dry due them relying on lubricant mixed with the gas.

I had similar symptoms to you. Fine one day, not working the next (as in compressor operating but no cold air). Turned out to be a perforated condenser.

Man of Honour
OP
It's in the garage this afternoon, they're going to diagnose and get back to me. I turned the AC off once it started making the noises. It was like a mix between a faint whistle/blow and metal on metal. Not good in any case.

Expecting a big bill but AC is one of the things I really appreciate the most in my car.

Soldato
That would presumably depend on the make of car and whether they fitted the required detection/control system.

MooMoo444, if the air doesn't come out cold turn the AC off! Most AC compressors will be damaged when run dry due them relying on lubricant mixed with the gas.

I had similar symptoms to you. Fine one day, not working the next (as in compressor operating but no cold air). Turned out to be a perforated condenser.

I've never encountered a car without a pressure switch - it is possible for these to fail (normally resulting in the AC not working at all) or be bypassed. Hence saying there's be something else wrong in the system

Back
Top Bottom