• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

DPB

DPB

Associate
Expect the 470 to match exiting 370 price but give current 380X level performance. So about 30% better prformance in most games.

That's not a bad increase in price/perf.

Previous Pro cards have usually only been about 10-15% slower than the XT versions (380 vs 380X, 290 vs 290X etc). If the 470 is only equivalent to a 380X then it's the worst Pro card ever, and the most heavily cut down. In the absolute worst case scenario that the 480 is only as fast a 290, it'd still be 30% ahead of a 380X. I don't see it myself, neither will be that slow.

Soldato
Gibbo do you know if the reference 480 comes with a displayport cable,or will i need to buy one seperate,as my monitor has dvi and displayport ?

I remember back in the AMD 5xxx days you would sometimes get adapters included with GPUs (DVI to HDMI, DVI to VGA, etc) and some of the 7xxx series came with mDP to DP adapters, but I've never seen a GPU come with a cable, so I would anticipate buying a cable in your position mate.

EDIT: Wow! I'm so slow at typing half a page of replys have happened while I was writing! :)

Soldato
Thanks,does seem stupid that a budget card wont come with dvi connection.

I think its because of the advent of cheap monitors now with hdmi and they use DP for Freesync, so it does not suprise me they kinda drop VGA and DVI off their ref boards.

Also AMD can deliver Freesync over HDMI, there are a few monitors coming out shortly with this feature, so probably another reason they are only putting HDMI and DP on the cards, its kinda forcing people down the route of HDMI or DP monitors and either of which AMD will deliver Freesync over for you.

Associate
Not having DVI is a bit of a dealbreaker as I wont be able to use 120hz on my on monitor without spending a large amount on an active adapter.

Hoping AIBs have a version with DVI

Soldato
Tear down of the cooler, nothing amazing but it works.

AMD-Radeon-RX-480-PCB-Polaris-10-4.jpg

AMD-Radeon-RX-480-PCB-Polaris-10-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom