• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
Makes me kind of sad in a way, after all the hype, if that is the case as in non DX12 stuff it won't be much faster than my 780 maybe not even faster. Though obviously is likely to crush it in next gen stuff.

GTX780 is a product of its times in that it is geared almost totally towards DX11. As more and more DX12 games are released the gap between older Maxwell GPUs and newer GCN GPUs will widen. So it's tad myopic to only focus on the DX11 performance compared to your 780, have a look at DX12 and your 780 will be vastly inferior.

Soldato
is there any potential future proofing with taking 8gb for 1440p do you think? or is it completely pointless?

Some, but not necessarily fifty quid's worth of future proofing. The two concerns are that much higher quality textures will start to be used. That shows (sadly) little sign of happening and I don't think is much of a concern. The other is that if 8GB becomes the norm, then lazy console ports that are badly optimized might feel less pressure to improve them to use memory better. Again, a low-ish concern, I think.

I certainly would prefer to buy a card with 8GB over 4GB today, all else being equal, and I might pay the premium for it. But I'm an overly-cautious person by nature and if you have something else to spend £50 on, I don't think you should be put off by the cheaper card's 4GB. Not if you're staying at 1440p or below.

Back
Top Bottom