does the past still exist ?

Soldato
Do you see the light or the object?

Did you know there are still radio waves from WW2 bouncing around in some atmosphere?

People and materials grow old and die and new life forms are created to take their places.

Man of Honour
According to Prof. Brian Cox (and I tend to agree with him), yes it does. Everything that has ever happened at some point still exists somewhere in spacetime.

Yeah I saw him say that but it didnt make sense to me, seemed like he was contradicting himself, earlier in the program he had said we cannot go back to events in the past, however if he is saying that the events of the past still exist somewhere then logically we can go back to them (not with our current know how but if something exists then it can be gone to, just beyond our abilities at the moment), which seems a contradiction to his earlier statement

No, the Langoliers eat it.

That was a couple of hours I will never get back again. What a dreadful film. I watched that in the past and I'm pretty sure I did. I could just be a brain in a jar being programmed by a mad genius though and everything I experience could be part of his or her deranged imagination.

Man of Honour
errr... in my peasant mind I think we all know time exists but it is not a 'thing' that can be altered by man or the universe (unless black holes do? Or do they just affect light, light which shows us the 'stuff' that was happening at a moment in time). It's kind of a constant. Maybe the only constant in the universe?

Time is linear. We cannot affect the past but can affect the future. If I rub grass all over myself, in the near future I will break out in hayfever symptoms. If I order something online today then in a couple of days or so I will have caused something to happen, when it gets delivered. If I don't learn my new job then in the future I will get fired.

These things wouldn't have happened had I not done something in the present to alter the future.

Soldato
Time is linear. We cannot affect the past but can affect the future. If I rub grass all over myself, in the near future I will break out in hayfever symptoms. If I order something online today then in a couple of days or so I will have caused something to happen, when it gets delivered. If I don't learn my new job then in the future I will get fired.

These things wouldn't have happened had I not done something in the present to alter the future.

Yeah I agree I'm saying that time itself cannot be changed by any one or anything. Think of it as a relentless conveyor belt. I think we agree what time is but disagree on what 'exist' means!

edit- when I said constant, I meant it never changes in response to anything, it just keeps plodding along... relatively constant I guess that is??? :s

Associate
The Big Bang exists in all locations in space-time, in every frame of reference - a lot of people have the misconception that the Big Bang "exploded" outwards into "space" but in reality it was an expansion of the entire universe itself, everywhere was the Big Bang.

Don't forget the caveat: *as far as our tiny, potentially paltry and simple human minds can conceive.

Man of Honour
Yeah I agree I'm saying that time itself cannot be changed by any one or anything. Think of it as a relentless conveyor belt. I think we agree what time is but disagree on what 'exist' means!

edit- when I said constant, I meant it never changes in response to anything, it just keeps plodding along... relatively constant I guess that is??? :s

Gotcha, I agree. We can't speed it up and we cannot slow it down. We can alter its effects but that is all.

Relativity certainly plays a part though.

Soldato
Well the past exists because when you look up at stars, your seeing light from thousands of years ago as it takes that long to reach us so your seeing the past when you see the stars. If that helps.

Associate
Time is linear.

That's not entirely accurate. Due to Special Relativity time is inherently non-linear and the measurement of time is dependent upon your frame of reference (see time dilation and, thus, the Lorentz Factor). Of course, one can argue that measuring time is not equal to time itself but then you get into semantics and philosophy rather than hard Physics.

Soldato
OP
Well the past exists because when you look up at stars, your seeing light from thousands of years ago as it takes that long to reach us so your seeing the past when you see the stars. If that helps.

im thinking does the actual earth 5 minutes ago exist somewhere as a solid object and how long is the present before its no more , nano second and everythings just gone i cant grasp it

Man of Honour
That's not entirely accurate. Due to Special Relativity time is inherently non-linear and the measurement of time is dependent upon your frame of reference (see time dilation and, thus, the Lorentz Factor). Of course, one can argue that measuring time is not equal to time itself but then you get into semantics and philosophy rather than hard Physics.

I was going to write 'if we accept the pretext that time is linear...' but it sounded too stuffy :)

I'm certainly no expert on it.

Man of Honour
It has to, or at least to my feeble brain. Otherwise how does time dilation work.

Travel near speed of light and you might only experience a few hours while people here on earth experience 25,000 years. But can only experience the universe in your time frame.

Either way its mind boggaling and confusing.

Nerd to catch up on that Brian cox series.

Back
Top Bottom