Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Ugh... this is still causing grief. Remainers in my social group getting very shouty tonight after drinks at anyone who dared vote leave. I hate politics in my social circles.I thought we were all grown up and respected each others' opinions. It's not like any of us in the group who voted to leave were voting for nefarious reasons.

Bloody annoyed. Especially as this hobby group is one I use to get away from the daily grind and other crap. :(

I think this could possibly be the most divisive, socially destructive thing we've ever done. I can't even be bothered trying to explain myself anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ugh... this is still causing grief. Remainers in my social group getting very shouty tonight after drinks at anyone who dared vote leave. I hate politics in my social circles.I thought we were all grown up and respected each others' opinions. It's not like any of us in the group who voted to leave were voting for nefarious reasons.

Bloody annoyed. Especially as this hobby group is one I use to get away from the daily grind and other crap. :(

I think this could possibly be the most divisive, socially destructive thing we've ever done. I can't even be bothered trying to explain myself anymore.

What's the hobby?:o

Soldato

It's been massively socially divisive. No real reason to lose friends over yet I know some of the Mrs. friends have given her abuse over her decision (for the record it was opposite of mine and I was quite firmly set in my views, my response was '**** it, you did what you felt was right', as did I.

We've had arguments at work, although that only lasted a couple of days before we started using it as a joke. Something goes wrong? First one to shout 'Brexit' wins.

One of the juniors makes a mistake? 'Send em all back!!'

Management make a decision? 'We want our sovereignty back!!'

Probably get another couple of years worth of jokes out of this situation...

Soldato
It's been massively socially divisive. No real reason to lose friends over yet I know some of the Mrs. friends have given her abuse over her decision (for the record it was opposite of mine and I was quite firmly set in my views, my response was '**** it, you did what you felt was right', as did I.

We've had arguments at work, although that only lasted a couple of days before we started using it as a joke. Something goes wrong? First one to shout 'Brexit' wins.

One of the juniors makes a mistake? 'Send em all back!!'

Management make a decision? 'We want our sovereignty back!!'

Probably get another couple of years worth of jokes out of this situation...

Like me and my uncle then -- remain and leave respectivelly -- the banter's still glorious, really. Out of sheer frustration with how the whole thing panned out and the uncertainty hanging over us all. We give each other no quarter regardless. :p

Associate
For a country like Ireland that is the exact same thing. Nearly all the money going through Ireland wasn't generated there. Although tax rate harmonisation is certainly on the agenda again now the UK is leaving.

England and Wales want to leave but i think you'll find Scotland will stay in the EU even if it means we have to do another referendum to do so ... the EU ain't perfect and neither is Westminster by a long shot ... they promised us federalism/Devo Max and what we have offered doesn't come close to Pepsi Max it proves the point that Westminster is not prepared to reform and UK has a 816 member unelected chamber that has power and has used that to remove power from devolved parliaments ... they used those powers to remove the control in green energy (renewables) in Holyrood

Soldato
Like me and my uncle then -- remain and leave respectivelly -- the banter's still glorious, really. Out of sheer frustration with how the whole thing panned out and the uncertainty hanging over us all. We give each other no quarter regardless. :p

I totally get people being disappointed and even upset because I was torn myself. What is surprising is how in some, it's actually a seething rage bubbling under the surface. Thankfully the majority of my lot agree to disagree because they are lovely people. :)

I'm guessing plenty more are going to get just as angry when the government don't fill the channel tunnel with cement or whatever it is that some people seem to be expecting. :p

Soldato
England and Wales want to leave but i think you'll find Scotland will stay in the EU even if it means we have to do another referendum to do so ... the EU ain't perfect and neither is Westminster by a long shot ... they promised us federalism/Devo Max and what we have offered doesn't come close to Pepsi Max it proves the point that Westminster is not prepared to reform and UK has a 816 member unelected chamber that has power and has used that to remove power from devolved parliaments ... they used those powers to remove the control in green energy (renewables) in Holyrood

The majority of Scots want to stay in the UK. This vote won't happen for another 25 years if it does. It isn't a once a year thing until we get the "right" answer. You really don't want to leave and rejoin the EU it will be the worst position for Scotland to be in.

Soldato
Well if we're allowed to make a "stupid" decision then perhaps the Scots should be allowed to vote on their own potentially silly one too. Seems fair to me but I doubt there's the appetite for it.

It'd be worth doing to shut the SNP up either way. Maybe they're playing it the wrong way and should be asking for the rest of the UK to vote on Scottish independence instead. Sturgeon could easily put enough people's backs up to ensure a departure. :eek:

Caporegime

But the EU doesn't want scotland.

They've been quite vocal on that point

Associate
Recent polls are showing that Scotland would likely vote to stay in the UK now following Brexit.

wrong 1 set of polls out of 10 showing a lead to remain that poll was for Scotland in the Union and they were heavily weighted

Over half were over 50 years old, no 16/17 year old polled.

The poll was heavily weighted – 414 Yes voters, 506 no voters.

The birthplace of the people polled.
Scotland: 748
Rest of the UK: 200
Outside UK: 58

Looks like they got the result they wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom