Housing crisis solutions

Soldato
I am one of the very unfortunate people in their thirties struggling to get onto the property ladder. Where I live, properties are a minimum of 180-250 with deposits necessary in excess of 20k.

I have noticed a trend that I think it part of the cause and my idea of a solution.
Having brothers in their 40s and 50s, they were lucky enough to buy properties for 50 to 100k. Having met women who then sold or rented out their properties, they were soon able to remortgage and buy more.

This is causing imo, house price rises through housing shortages. I believe without any actual evidence but my own experiences , that the upper middle class are the cause.

My idea is a ban on property allowances. 2 homes max without a good reason.
I appreciate being forced to sell properties would crash the market and destroy the whole system, so a ten year timescale or something along that lines.
I only see it allowing those with excess to still have money from the sale, but not cause others to be unfortunate from the shortage.

Around my area they keep building houses. None of them go on the market for less that 200k and they are poorly built, wood and brick skin buildings with small gardens. Worst thing is they all get rented out by people who remortgage and buy them. No one who is trying to get on the ladder can afford them.
/rant

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You could say that's a solution. True I could move North, but it's a problem regardless. Your saying that, their allowed too, so I should buck up and deal with it, lose my whole life/family to buy no where near them or anyone I know. Screw me?

Soldato
If your not willing to move then you just have to suck it up. Try and earn more, rent or if you insist on buying then look at small flats. I agree its not ideal but its not going to change.

Caporegime
You could say that's a solution. True I could move North, but it's a problem regardless. Your saying that, their allowed too, so I should buck up and deal with it, lose my whole life/family to buy no where near them or anyone I know. Screw me?

It potentially is a solution. If everyone wants to live in the same place at once then of course there will be an issue. See London for example!
There's also the argument over what gives everyone the expectation to own their own property?

Soldato
OP
But would my solution not solve the problem. I really don't think I'm being ungrateful to think that I should have the opportunities to buy with the wage I do make. Instead I struggle to save as I have to rent. I could afford the mortgage if the deposit wasn't so large due to the excess house prices from a shortage.

Caporegime
But would my solution not solve the problem. I really don't think I'm being ungrateful to think that I should have the opportunities to buy with the wage I do make. Instead I struggle to save as I have to rent. I could afford the mortgage if the deposit wasn't so large due to the excess house prices from a shortage.

Shortages are localised though.

If people are buying the properties to rent out then there's clearly demand for them to do so.

I do get your points however, and I'm not sure I entirely disagree.

Caporegime
Find someone to share a property with,making it half the cost? Every every single individual owning a property to themselves is impossible.

Caporegime
I agree with the OP to an extent. When you have a vital resource and demand constantly exceeds supply causing the price to rise then you implement rationing. It's the only viable solution.

Soldato
I agree with the OP to an extent. When you have a vital resource and demand constantly exceeds supply causing the price to rise then you implement rationing. It's the only viable solution.

But the resource is still there, and available, you just rent instead of buy. It still serves its purpose.

Soldato
OP
I personally dont see why people that have the money should be stopped from buying as many properties as they like.

Because they are forcing the prices up and thus cause the first time buyers from buying. Which in instead leads to them being richer and families and people like me from being unable to buy.

Would you be happy if there was lots of food but the rich bought it all, stored it and allowed you to buy it at huge prices?

Last edited:
Soldato
I personally dont see why people that have the money should be stopped from buying as many properties as they like.

Because this is homes, not Haribo. People need places to live. Renting just isn't viable long term as it stands, rent rises faster than wages and pensions. At least when you buy, once the mortgage is paid you always have a roof over your head.

Soldato
We live in a capitalist society.

Leave your morals at the door, screw people over, make a lot of unjust money, buy an expensive house.

Or just knock someone up, go on Jeremy Kyle because they will give you a house for free then.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom