• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980 Ti vs 1080 - WHAT???

Soldato
Seems about right and one of the reasons I stuck with my 980Ti. I'll hold until 1080 Ti is released and see what the prices are.

Soldato
The amount of time on 28nm kind of skews that a bit.

The whole focus and approach with Volta is different to what people generally think. Volta is not what people think it is.

Why is volta not what people think it is?

It will be another graphics card with some new features and ~ 30% more performance at lower TDP and all that.

Last edited:
Soldato
You still have not answered.. what exactly do you know about Volta that other people do not? You make these cryptic posts "it will not be what you expect" but do not say anything more than that.

Soldato
You still have not answered.. what exactly do you know about Volta that other people do not? You make these cryptic posts "it will not be what you expect" but do not say anything more than that.

From what I have gathered it looks to be a bigger redesign - Pascal is more a stopgap uarch it appears whereas Volta is probably more a Maxwell or Kepler level change.

Remember,the earlier roadmaps said Maxwell to Volta. It also looks like Polaris is more of the same on the AMD side.

Associate
The 1080 is out my price range so had been looking at the 1070's but Im still considering a 2nd hand 980ti.

Ive currently got a shot of my mates 780ti while my 970 is away under RMA for the 2nd time and the 780ti benchmarks better than the 970 and is faster in GTA V also.
Being honest after using my mates 780ti Im really disappointed with my 970..

Soldato
From what I have gathered it looks to be a bigger redesign - Pascal is more a stopgap uarch it appears whereas Volta is probably more a Maxwell or Kepler level change.

Remember,the earlier roadmaps said Maxwell to Volta. It also looks like Polaris is more of the same on the AMD side.

Yes but he was saying it as if Volta will not be any good for gaming or something.

Soldato
Yes but he was saying it as if Volta will not be any good for gaming or something.

It depends what the focus is on though - there was a lot of noise on mixed precision,etc. Remember,Nvidia has competition in the compute market from Intel and so on too.

Whatever it is,it must be a major change of Pascal was released as a stop-gap. In which direction,I really couldn't tell you!!

It could be Rroff has some more information we don't(think he is a dev??).

Associate
my friend has offered me his 980ti hydro copper & £200 for my 1080 watercooled

this thread has made me think a little .. hmmm :p

Man of Honour
It could be Rroff has some more information we don't(think he is a dev??).

Not these days.

I don't know substantially more than anyone else but the people I know that do know are having a right laugh at the current rumours/speculation and hinting that people are so wrong on what they are assuming with Volta.

The 1080 is out my price range so had been looking at the 1070's but Im still considering a 2nd hand 980ti.

Ive currently got a shot of my mates 780ti while my 970 is away under RMA for the 2nd time and the 780ti benchmarks better than the 970 and is faster in GTA V also.
Being honest after using my mates 780ti Im really disappointed with my 970..

That is what I've found - I had/have a 780GHZ that out the box boost was basically 780ti performance and a 970 and despite what some benchmarks might suggest the 780 was often as fast or the faster card for many of the games I play (plus a lot of my gaming if competitive FPS with "lowpro" configs where the 780 is just faster at shovelling primitive graphics, etc.).

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Not these days.

I don't know substantially more than anyone else but the people I know that do know are having a right laugh at the current rumours/speculation and hinting that people are so wrong on what they are assuming with Volta.

I can imagine.

Soldato
Not these days.

You might be right I do not know, but from what I have read it will be a gaming card that will be better than the previous ones.. eg. the same as every other gaming card ever released, about ~30% better than previous (pascal), some new features, and the same as usual where the current titan is equalled by the next midrange etc. Also they will have the usual quadro and all that stuff... I am not sure what is wrong about that? Could be that they will still not have the same hardware async compute as AMD etc. is that what people are having a right laugh about? I honestly do not know.

Soldato
Not these days.

Ah,OK. The only thing we have seen about Volta,is that it might be quite compute focussed since ORNL are using them.

I do wonder if Volta will be a separate compute focussed line for commerical usage and Nvidia will stick with Pascal for the time-being and improve on that??

Speculation is fun!!:D

Soldato
Ah,OK. The only thing we have seen about Volta,is that it might be quite compute focussed since ORNL are using them.

I do wonder if Volta will be a separate compute focussed line for commerical usage and Nvidia will stick with Pascal for the time-being and improve on that??

Speculation is fun!!:D

But there is a lot of speculation that volta will be a gaming card and they have to release something at some point, but maybe because the competition from AMD is so poor at the moment that they will just release this pascal refresh on 14nm.

Soldato
But there is a lot of speculation that volta will be a gaming card and they have to release something at some point, but maybe because the competition from AMD is so poor at the moment that they will just release this pascal refresh on 14nm.

Well we don't know what AMD has up their sleave though,so we need to wait and see!:p

Plus,these things take time,so any refresh would have been in motion even before the current launches IMHO.

If Nvidia is using 14NM,I expect its either down to cost or supply issues as they would need to spend money redesigning parts of the chip for a new process.

I suspect Samsung has more spare capacity after loosing the Apple contracts so that is why they are probably trying to find more customers.

Soldato
4 pages of arguing :
GTX980Ti or GTX1080
Maxwell vs Pascal
What should be called mid range what high end.
Many of you in here, even talk about power consumption which I find irrelevant when we spend £300+ for a graphic card and overclock them on top.....

Is all relative to what people want, how much they want to spend, and what pleases them. To significant majority of the people on this planet, spending £300 let alone £600 on a graphic card is bordering to insanity.

I bought a GTX1080 on a wimp, and I really like it. Overclocked to 2114 without fiddling with it much and makes it ~24% faster than a very heavily overclocked GTX980Ti @ 1550. (which are rare to get that speed)

If someone says 24% is not fast enough to justify the £600 of the GTX1080 over the 980Ti, should go and delete all his posts in this forum arguing that the GTX980Ti is faster than the FuryX justifying the price of the 980Ti, because hypocrisy is not a good trait...

Because the difference between those cards was a meagre 10% on DX11, when the price difference was significant greater (+20%, +40% on the similar AIO watercooled models).

Soldato
Well we don't know what AMD has up their sleave though,so we need to wait and see!:p

Plus,these things take time,so any refresh would have been in motion even before the current launches IMHO.

If Nvidia is using 14NM,I expect its either down to cost or supply issues as they would need to spend money redesigning parts of the chip for a new process.

I suspect Samsung has more spare capacity after loosing the Apple contracts so that is why they are probably trying to find more customers.

I have really lost all hope of AMD releasing very competitive or fast cards / CPU's recently or in the next year. I think they are simply behind Nvidia and intel and will not be releasing anything great, probably Vega will be a bit faster than 1080 and slower than TXP, while having same TDP as TXP.

Last edited:
Soldato
4 pages of arguing :
GTX980Ti or GTX1080
Maxwell vs Pascal
What should be called mid range what high end.
Many of you in here, even talk about power consumption which I find irrelevant when we spend £300+ for a graphic card and overclock them on top.....

With TDP, it is not so much the power bills (although that is a bonus), but the heat and noise, so lower TDP = less heat and noise, which is definitely good, look at the TXP for example the cooler is not good enough at all, even a custom cooler would struggle with that card to keep the temps and noise low.

Soldato
so lower TDP = less heat and noise
Less heat certainly, but less noise isn't a guarantee as cards with higher TDPs tend to have much better coolers attached to them. Having owned a couple of 1070s (MSI Gaming X and EVGA FTW) and a Sapphire Fury Nitro recently, the latter was every bit as quiet as the 1070s, despite consuming a good 70W or so more under load. Of course, that extra heat still has to go somewhere, but with an exceptionally-designed cooler like the one on the Nitro it won't cost you anything in terms of acoustics.

Soldato
With TDP, it is not so much the power bills (although that is a bonus), but the heat and noise, so lower TDP = less heat and noise, which is definitely good, look at the TXP for example the cooler is not good enough at all, even a custom cooler would struggle with that card to keep the temps and noise low.

Could be true, but eg the MSI Armor heatsink is absolutely superb on the overclocked 1080. Decided to play Crysis 3 the last hour, and while was working at 99% (2150 clock), with fan speed at 92% at 65C, the card was silent. I could year the Predator 360 @ 70% fan speed, but not the 2 fans on the Armor which were doing great job.

And I will agree with Aretak, Sapphire Fury Nitro is dead silent card considering the amount of energy it converts to heat....

Back
Top Bottom