• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980 Ti vs 1080 - WHAT???

Associate
I bought a 1080 today and compared it against my old 980 Ti.

screenshot_90.png
screenshot_91.png

Dissapointed!?

Memory clock on 1080 1251 stoc? hmmm

somethings wrong ?

Associate
OP
i've been overclocking it added +140 core (2076mhz) and +600 mem (5603)

screenshot_92.png

Considering the graphics score only the 1080 OC is now 15% faster than the 980 Ti OC - to be fair the 980 Ti OC was a very good one! - Panic over.

Associate
OP
his physx score is always 3% or more less on his 1080 build so his combined wont be as good and hence his overall score.

Looking at just gfx scores he's now 15.6% faster. Still doesnt quite seem enough though.

Remember my 980 Ti was HEAVILY overclocked which added +1000 to the graphics score vs a reference model. The reference 1080 is ~22% faster than a reference 980 Ti.

Associate
OP
Its running exactly as it should...

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2839/geforce-gtx-1080

GDDR5 uses two separate differential clocks (unlike its precursor DDR3 which uses only a single clock).

The first clock is used for command and address operations. The second clock is for reads and writes. The second clock is twice the frequency of the first. Data on the IO bus is transferred on the rising and falling edge of the read/write clock.

The GTX 1080 has a memory transfer rate of 10 gigabits per second. Multiply this by the width of the memory bus which is 256 to get the bandwidth in gigabits per second, and divide it by 8 to get the bandwidth in gigabytes per second which is 320 gigabytes per second.

The 1251 Mhz is the command operations clock the read/write clock is double this speed and is 'quad pumped' with some trickery involving using the rising and falling cycles of the clock...

so 1251*2 = 2502 and quadrupled again gives you your 10 Ghz or so effective memory speed clock (with one bit being transferred on every clock cycle to give a 10 gigabit per second data transfer rate)

Thanks for that, that solves the memory speed difference reported in 3dmark.

Back
Top Bottom