What was your first (PC) computer, 286,386?

Soldato
Dell OPTIPLEX1 pentium 166mhz i think
T56wtMa.jpg

Literally thousands of them around at the time all dirt cheap.
That was my first proper pc with tinterweb through aol lol
With lots of slow pron, damn i had a good time :)

I remember having a Dell GX1 at one point in the early 2000s cheap second hand, as well as a GX110 SFF. Running Windows 2000. Good times.

Soldato
All this talk of PC's less powerful than the phone in my pocket is making me all nostalgic. I remember the days when all my games suddenly wouldn't fit on my 2.1GB HDD and i had to upgrade to a 4.6GB one. It was amazing having *all* that extra space. :o Not to mention Voodoo/Voodoo2 graphics cards and the screech of a modem connecting. Those were the days.

Soldato
My PC history went something like: 286 (Wolfenstein, Commander Keen!) > Olivetti somethingorother (Leisure Suit Larry!) > P75 (Doom, Duke Nukem 3D!)

Then I started building my own, starting with an AMD K6-II 300

I fondly remember getting this bad boy (6MB was a big deal - seeing as most 3dfx cards had 4MB at the time, unless you were loaded and went for the SLI option!) and then being amazed how sexy Quake looked.

732_1.jpg

If memory serves.. I think I ended up returning it because the GeForce 256 came out... not too long after?!

Man of Honour
Unreal tournament, CTF facing world's. That was the map.

I was blown away first time I played Lava Giant with the ST3C texture pack that and The Edge from Quake 2 are probably my most memorable multiplayer maps from that period. Followed by playing the overlord assault map at 3am into the following morning after launch day (which seems rather quaint now).

Associate
In terms of the first IBM compatible PC my family (dad) owned - it was a 386sx 16 Mhz and I think it had 1 or 2 megabytes of RAM and 20 megabyte hard drive. These were truly the dark ages. Nonetheless, I still feel warm and fuzzy when I recall playing Doom, X-Wing and Monkey Island on it.

The first PC that belonged to me personally was a Pentium II 350, with 32 megabytes of RAM and a Riva TNT graphics chip. Ah, I loved that thing, but it didn't take me long to start upgrading the hell out of it.

Associate
486-DX2
8mb ram
80mb hdd
CD-ROM drive
14" CRT monitor

It was amazing, apart from having just 1 PCI slot and 5 horrid ISA slots

Later upgraded to an intel pentium 233 MMX with a boost to 266

Associate
I used Amiga's for years so I was a little late on the scene, but it was using a Pentium 2 350Mhz and ATI Rage 3D card.

I forget how much memory and other specs

Soldato
Anyone remember Escom? Our first computer was an Escom, I'm just looking through some images of the catalogues. 486 DX2 66mhz. I think it played Geoff Crammond GP1, Desert Strike and Jungle Strike perfectly!

EDIT: Oh and Lotus the Ultimate Challenge, although we may have upgraded for that.

Soldato
My first IBM compatible PC was a Tiny Computers Ltd machine I bought in 1999 because i was doing an HNC in Aerospace Engineering and the college only used PC's with Office etc.

TBH, I learnt more about PC upgrading by the time I finished my HNC.... :)

Before that I had:

ZX81

AMSTRAD 464

AMIGA 500

AMIGA 600

AMIGA 1200

lots of time spent playing games on all of them, especially the 3 Amigo's.

Back
Top Bottom