Help Home Network Issues

Associate
Hi folks wonder if anyone can help me tracking down this issue.

I'm on BT infinity 2, I'm on an exchange only line so I assume the cabinet is installed next to the exchange however I'm still relatively close ~250m. My router is a Asus DSL-AC68U

After fibre was installed my speeds were fine ~60Mbps down and 19Mbps up. However recently I'm lucky if I get 2Mbps down, my upload speed is largely unaffected and stays around 19Mbps. This goes for wired or wireless connections all other devices are fine phone tablet etc its just my desktop. I've tried with BT's new smart hub and its the same so the problem must be on my desktop.

Any ideas?

Soldato
Boot the PC into 'Safe Mode with Networking'. Does the problem go away?

I'd guess you've either go some misconfigured security software, or a Killer NIC that's playing up.

Associate
OP
OK booted into safe mode with networking and the problem was gone. Booted back into normal mode and the problem has yet to reoccur. I'll keep an eye on it and see what it does of the next few days. Thanks for your help!

Associate
OP
and its back the problem is also persisting in safe mode over wired and wireless connections it appears when I reboot I can some times get reasonable speeds back for a short period of time.
At this point I think we can say the problem is with my desktop and isn't hardware related. I've tried scanning for malware/virus and I cant find anything. Any more help is appreciated.

Soldato
Any information about the hardware/software?

Try booting into a Linux live environment (Ubuntu for example).

If you have a spare HDD try installing a clean version of Windows for testing.

Associate
OP
Windows 10 (upto date)
Mobo is a ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z using the onboard NIC
also tested with a wireless usb ASUS AC56

This is a pretty fresh install of windows did a clean install ~ 2 weeks ago. I'll stick ubuntu on a usb drive and see what happens. let me know if you need anymore details.

Associate
No firewall/QoS rules on the router that are linked to your MAC/IP address (a shot in the dark!)

Seems more likely a software issue, but as its effecting both wired and wireless its unlikely a driver. I have a feeling that Linux will be fine..

Associate
OP
Nope I've been using it for 3+ years without issue and I generally always keep driver installs to a minimum and uncheck all the bloatware.

Associate
OP
No firewall/QoS rules on the router that are linked to your MAC/IP address (a shot in the dark!)

Seems more likely a software issue, but as its effecting both wired and wireless its unlikely a driver. I have a feeling that Linux will be fine..

it does but its all disabled

Associate
OP
After a painfully slow download of Ubuntu it is yielding the same poor results although I was running it off a usb stick I didn't actually install it.

Soldato
Simplify things as much as possible.

Reset and reconfigure the router from scratch. Temporarily disable the wireless.

Connect the PC to the router with a direct physical wired connection (e.g. no Powerline or similar).

Try more than one network cable.

Test with Windows and Linux.

Associate
OP
Reset and reconfigure the router from scratch. Temporarily disable the wireless.

Reset to factory defaults and started fresh. No effect, same with disabling the WiFi

Connect the PC to the router with a direct physical wired connection (e.g. no Powerline or similar).

Ok some success here, connected directly to the router speeds were close to the max I should be getting. However WiFi is still cack even when my phone or tablet can get near max speeds my desktop still gets 2Mbps

Try more than one network cable.

Replaced all network cables with new unused ones.

Test with Windows and Linux.

A quick test with Linux gave the same results but I'll try be more thorough tomorrow.

Tested the powerline adapters right next to each other and in the same room as router and they were fine. I've also tried different powerline adapters. As soon as I move the desktop back I'll get maybe 30 mins of reasonable speeds via powerline adapters then it drops again. Wifi on my desktop just seems to be cack regardless even when it was right next to the router it was getting 2Mbps but in all cases the upload speed is always near max.

Soldato
It sounds like you've got two options:

1. Run a network cable (preferred; and almost certainly possible, even if not easy).
  2. Find out what's knocking out the Powerline adapters.
Powerline adapters are easily upset. Chances are there's something connected to your mains wiring that's injecting noise. It could be something as simple as a new low energy bulb or mobile phone charger.

Associate
OP
Doesn't explain the WiFi or why everything was fine ~7 days ago no bulbs have been changed. I turned off the boiler to run tests and unplugged the fridge/freezer to run some test all of them were the same. Its a rented flat so cant really go drilling holes to route a cable. I'll try unplugging everything possible tomorrow see if it makes a difference.

Soldato
Did you set your own encryption keys to make your Powerline connection private, usually just a matter of using the little buttons? If not you could be cross connecting with a neighbour's Powerline network (much more likely in a block of flats).

Don
Ditch the powerline.

To improve your wifi, use a wifi analysis tool on your phone to scan for neighboring wifi. You want yours set to either channel.. 1, 6 or 11. Whichever has the least interference from neighbors.

I've added network wiring to every rented flat I've had :o

Associate
OP
Did you set your own encryption keys to make your Powerline connection private, usually just a matter of using the little buttons? If not you could be cross connecting with a neighbour's Powerline network (much more likely in a block of flats).

This looks promising, speeds were fine during the day while everyone was out and from 1530 on wards when people started arriving home the speeds started to drop off. Tried re-pairing and fiddling with Tp's software but to no avail. I have noticed though it seems to forget any changes I make when I reboot.

Ditch the powerline.

To improve your wifi, use a wifi analysis tool on your phone to scan for neighboring wifi. You want yours set to either channel.. 1, 6 or 11. Whichever has the least interference from neighbors.

I've added network wiring to every rented flat I've had :o

Currently have 2.4G working fine 5G is still poor going to put it down to a driver issue as phones tablets etc are all fine. Theres just no way I can route a network cable, if I could it would have been my first choice.

Back
Top Bottom