Free Paint

Caporegime
What about their "Once" stuff?
Garbage, it's a sales gimmick. Their trade stuff which is sold to us as professional painters and decorators is rubbish. And we get a good discount on it as tradesmen, the stuff sold in the likes of screwfix, b&q is terrible. As a qualified painter id reccomend leyland/johnstones any day. Theyre the same company, (kalon). But their products are excellent. And a large uk network of outlets. They are very good too at mixing colours from other companies ranges.

Soldato
DULUX may not be the best paint but there's much worse out there.

I got 2 tubs of sandtex masonry paint from b&q and no exaggeration it was like water. It was see through and would have taken 7 coats.

I took it back and the guy asked if id stured it up (which I had.....) Then he put it in the paint mixing shaker thingy for a minute. When it was done he opened it and said "yeah thats fain, it's running off the lid" is said are you serious? It was running off like water.

Id used 50L of DULUX weather shield on a was the day before and that was like sludge.

Soldato
/\/\/\/\/\ This. Having spent the best part of 10 years in DIY retail (prior to my stint as a telly salesman :p ) Dulux has not been the same since Akzo bought them (and the other brands such as Polycell, Cuprinol & Sadolin etc) a few years ago. Akzo did own Crown paints too at one time but were forced to sell that company due to having the majority of the UK paint market when it bought Dulux.

I agree with Setter on his choice of paint. Kalon makes very good paint & I'd recommend it over Crown/Dulux anytime.

Soldato
Johnstones paint can be found in any B&M store and I can confirm it is good stuff.

Also most Dulux paint is now made in my town after Akzo opened a new factory. :p

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Garbage, it's a sales gimmick. Their trade stuff which is sold to us as professional painters and decorators is rubbish. And we get a good discount on it as tradesmen, the stuff sold in the likes of screwfix, b&q is terrible. As a qualified painter id reccomend leyland/johnstones any day. Theyre the same company, (kalon). But their products are excellent. And a large uk network of outlets. They are very good too at mixing colours from other companies ranges.

Interesting. I'm in no way a professional but I've been helping do up a friend's house recently, we've been using three coats of Screwfix's no-nonsense bare plaster paint on all walls and ceilings (it's just been plastered and that paint got good reviews) and Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt for the top coats - I didn't decide on using Dulux but the finish has come out looking flawless so far - though there's three rooms to go still - we're spending a huge amount of time on prep work to make sure it's perfect beforehand though.

I'm looking to do my own house at some point in the future, would you say Leyland/Johnsons are the best "quality for money" to go for? I basically want the best paint I can use for the least amount if that makes sense. I see no point spending £300 on brand X paint when I can get the exact same quality finish with £150 of brand Y paint, but I also don't want to use £10 brand Z paint that chips off as soon as you look at it. I'm after the happy-medium :).

Soldato
I used the Dulux Endurance and the kitchen stuff as they were on offer at B&Q and all I can say is be prepared for any colour you choose to be various shades of lilac. Chose 3 different colours for 3 rooms, a light mocha brown, one called cookie dough or cookie crumble which was supposed to be a light brown and one called hessian or calico which was supposed to be a cremy off white. All looked almost lilac and absolutely nothing like the label or in any way resembled the description. I have never seen a lilac cookie...

Associate
Johnstones paint can be found in any B&M store and I can confirm it is good stuff.

Also most Dulux paint is now made in my town after Akzo opened a new factory. :p

All good but it's old paint. We bought some red johnstones paint and went on easily enough. After a day or 2 the room smelt of pee and we couldn't work out why. Turns out it was the paint or more the bacteria in the paint because it was old. Quite a rare thing but really annoying. Had to repaint with a neutraliser undercoat and then painted with some valspar paint. Won't get any from b and m and just in case!

Soldato
All good but it's old paint. We bought some red johnstones paint and went on easily enough. After a day or 2 the room smelt of pee and we couldn't work out why. Turns out it was the paint or more the bacteria in the paint because it was old. Quite a rare thing but really annoying. Had to repaint with a neutraliser undercoat and then painted with some valspar paint. Won't get any from b and m and just in case!

Not had that problem but I'll keep that in mind for the future. There is also an independent paint shop near me who is a Johnstone/Leyland stockist and the tins are exactly the same as B&M.

I'm going to be going right through my house with white soon and I'm thinking of the Leyland trade which has been touted.

Associate
Tell a lie, it was actually Crown and I repainted in Johnstone paint (wife corrected me). It was still from b and m though and it was due to it being old stock (that's how b and m can get some stuff so cheap apparently)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Leyland paint from Screwfix 10lts for £15 and its superb especially if your just going for white or magnolia.

This is what I always use and recommend. Seems very good to me compared with many other paints, seems to always cover in 2 coats.

The only weird side effect that I have found with this paint specifically is that it smells nasty while its drying for some reason :p

Back
Top Bottom