Plex device

Soldato
Hi all,

Which device is best to run plex? I've got a laptop connected and it works fine, but would really like to get a remote and the windows version doesn't seem to be optimised for that.

Also I have access to a friends plex via pin, and my own plex server is separate to that - so ideally need a box which allows me to access both if that's possible?

Cheers

Man of Honour
There's all sorts of different answers for this, all depends on what you currently have in terms of home AV and what you want to achieve?

Rasplex on a Pi would get my vote. I don't like the UI of the new Plex app and Rasplex keeps the classic PHT look and feel.

Soldato
OP
Using Flirc you can use any remote as your remote for Plex using a laptop.

A cheap option if your remote as "DVD" or anything unused.
Looks cool thanks. Just not sure on the UI of the windows Plex client :(

You can install Plex on a NowTV box around £15.

I think you can only have one app sideloaded on the nowtv box? So unless I can access a plex pin and have another account loaded on it then it won't be usable.

There's all sorts of different answers for this, all depends on what you currently have in terms of home AV and what you want to achieve?

Rasplex on a Pi would get my vote. I don't like the UI of the new Plex app and Rasplex keeps the classic PHT look and feel.

No av equipment attached, just the tv. Will look at rasplex, thanks

Man of Honour
Do you have Amazon Prime and a Prime stick or Fire box? As you can run Plex on them, but again (this is me personally) I don't like the UI that much.

A cool thing about Rasplex on a Pi is that with a CEC compatible TV you can control Rasplex using your TV remote.

Some smart TVs can actually have the Plex app on them as well.

Man of Honour
If you have Prime then the best option IMO would be to get a stick or fire box so you can watch prime video, then install Plex onto that.

Associate
A[L]C;30186279 said:
Looks cool thanks. Just not sure on the UI of the windows Plex client :(

I think you can only have one app sideloaded on the nowtv box? So unless I can access a plex pin and have another account loaded on it then it won't be usable.

You can choose whatever servers your connected too in the settings.
If your logged into Plex the first time you choose your friends server it will auto log you in.

Associate
I have been looking also for a good plex media server to plug into my 4k tv.

2 have stood out

Nvidia shield tv

Zidoo X9S

I have no idea if this applies to you though as im looking for 4k ultra hd delivery. And from the reading of many forums and reviews those 2 seem to be the best at the respective price lvls. which the shield being slightly better.

If anyone else can throw in boxes id also be interested before i buy one.

Soldato

2 have stood out

Nvidia shield tv

Zidoo X9S

I have no idea if this applies to you though as im looking for 4k ultra hd delivery. And from the reading of many forums and reviews those 2 seem to be the best at the respective price lvls. which the shield being slightly better.

For the record, Plex struggles to deal with 4K video. I'm not quite sure why but I recall something being said about problems implementing the necessary codecs. Forget transcoding 4K too unless you've got a seriously heavy duty server.

Soldato
I use Plex Android on my main Sony set.

For the Samsung in the bedroom I use a Pi3 with RasPlex. Works very well with proper 24p playback and, if the set supports CEC, you can use the TV's own remote.

Soldato

2 have stood out

Nvidia shield tv

Zidoo X9S

Plex on Shield has just been updated so now supports DTS HD / True HD / Atmos passthrough. Can't talk about 4k performance as I don't have a 4k tv but I've read complaints about refresh rate switching in HDMI chains that aren't all the latest spec.

Its power as a plex server has surprised me but they are still working out some issues (mainly network based for me)

Before the Shield I used a celeron based NUC which was fine as server / player for direct play but couldn't really handle transcoding.

To the OP i'd second the Prime TV stick, its fine as a basic player and will get you better use of your prime sub. Wait til Black Friday though as they always go on offer.

Soldato
I use RasPlex on an RPi3 fitted with a RemotePi board so I can control it via my Harmony remote. Works perfectly. I do occasionally fall back to using the Plex App on my Samsung TV because it the only solution to allow the playing of Full Frame, Frame Packed, 3D Films.

Back
Top Bottom