*** Rogue One: A Star Wars Story *** (NOW WITH SPOILERS)

v0n

v0n

Soldato
With Tarkin it was the plasticky movements, smiggol-like dated weirdness, lagged like game animation, skin texture looked badly graded vs surroundings when they decided to show it in full light. Leia was just grotesque though - eyes too big, too close together, looked freaky, then IT smiled and it was frightening.

They did pan camera around both, so clearly were very proud of the achievement, cause otherwise a lot could be done to make those scenes perfect - show reflection of Tarkin, don't let him step out of the shadow by more than a nose length, show Leia from the side then from far away in that classic inserting the cartridge into R2 pose etc.

It has to be the same inept studio that did that awful young Jeff Bridges animation for Tron Legacy and of course the flipping Snoke in TFA.

Associate
Regardless of how "bad" people thought the CGI Tarkin was, it was still better than the Tarkin in EpIII

0x0aq6a.jpg

:p

maybe it's just me, but that's really not that bad.. It's definitely not human but it's up there with wax works in terms of "uncanny valley" realism. From distance i'd find it hard to distinguish from extras.

Soldato
Maybe its not comparable for several reasons why, but I was thinking about Face/Off after Rogue One......

Now dont get me wrong, obviously for the main part it is actually Travolta / Cage playing the "wrong" charachter, but there are a few scenes where they are actually ripping off the latex faces and showing the "real" face underneath and even the top layer imo all those years ago still looks convincing 1/2 ripped off - more than RO with Tarkin and Leia

Maybe its because its so relatively quickly done that my eyes arent picking up

Caporegime
Maybe its not comparable for several reasons why, but I was thinking about Face/Off after Rogue One......

Now dont get me wrong, obviously for the main part it is actually Travolta / Cage playing the "wrong" charachter, but there are a few scenes where they are actually ripping off the latex faces and showing the "real" face underneath and even the top layer imo all those years ago still looks convincing 1/2 ripped off - more than RO with Tarkin and Leia

Maybe its because its so relatively quickly done that my eyes arent picking up

Would they have not just used latex masks? You know like Mission Impossible?

Soldato
I found Tarkin and Leia simultaneously impressive and a bit weird. Definitely uncanny valley territory. A hint of game avatar about them both. Really close but no cigar.

Soldato
I would say its not really suitable at all for under seven year old's and would not have taken him if we didn't have too.

I went with a view to deciding if it's suitable for my kids. My oldest is 7 and I think it's a bit brutal for him really. No way I'd even consider taking the 4yo.

Feels like a 12A that deserves a straight 12 IMO.

Soldato
I think people are conflating issues with the Tarkin scenes, with technical issues of CGI.
Some of the work on CGI Tarkin is technically pretty good, the problem's I have is Tarkin as a Character shouldn't be arguing with some lowly Krenic. This is the Character who has Vader on a leash and end's conversations with the Entire Imperial top brass.
He simply wouldn't have been seen squabbling with a wannabe. Also whichever actor was used to mo cap Tarkin's expressions/mannerisms had no clue, or more likely was required to emphasise emotional scenes that Cushing himself would have probably nixed on the basis that he's too important to be seen smirking at getting one over on the Krenic's of the Empire.

I'd love to have seen what they could do with Tarkin and perhaps if they'd had one of his underlings argue details with Krenic and Tarkin swoop in occasionally (perhaps using the effective, at the start, reflections only) to remind Krenic who is Boss!

Also I'd have cut all Leia's visible face and mimic her not quite seen, time early in a new hope.

Soldato
They are from the Rebels TV show. Jedi who are now canon, were involved with the birth of the rebellion and have had encounters with Vader prior to the events of R1.

Ah ok, thanks for explaining.

Tried watching the show, the animation is so poor that I can't get immersed into it at all :(

Back
Top Bottom