AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Soldato
Anyone seen a comparison of sound quality compared to PowerBeats2? I love my PB2 but the charge case of the Airpods looks great, I'm always forgetting to charge them up pre-gym or losing the cable.

Soldato
I wouldn't say they're a game changer, but I do find them to be more convenient in use than other bluetooth headphones.

For example the case is small enough that I can fit it in my pocket without noticing it (same as I would do for wired headphones or standard wireless buds). This means that when I'm done listening I can pop the earpods back in the case and have them fully charged for when I want to listen next. With the Jaybirds I had, I would have needed to go back to my desk and put them on charge, then go and get them when I wanted to use them next. For me, this means that their actual normal battery life is far longer than what I was getting with the jaybirds. In the same usage pattern, I've not had the airpods run out, whereas my Jaybirds would routinely go flat, leaving them unusable.

There's also the benefit when wearing just one (which I often do when running, or at work, etc) that you don't have the other side dangling around. Again, small convenience, but something nonetheless.

The only downside I've seen so far is the lack of isolation, as they're not tipped earbuds. But that's personal preference, and isn't going to ruin them for me. I'd absolutely prefer them to be tipped style buds, but it's not essential.

I was looking at a pair of Jaybird X3s whenever they become available, how do they compare to your Jaybirds?

Soldato
I was looking at a pair of Jaybird X3s whenever they become available, how do they compare to your Jaybirds?

I had a pair of the X2s, which are pretty similar to the X3 but not identical.

I ended up sending them back pretty swiftly. The sound was good, personally I wouldn't say they sound outright better than the airpods, however as they're the silicone-tip in ear style ones they have good sound isolation, while the airpods don't. Personal preference, doesn't make a huge deal to me but may be important to some.

The problem I had with them was the battery life. While they have longer single run battery life than the airpods (up to 8 hours, while I got more like 6 or 7 vs the airpods up to 5), they often ran out during a work day for me. The airpods get around this as whenever I'm not using them, they're in the case charging, so as soon as I need them next they're fully charged again. I couldn't do that with the Jaybirds, so as soon as the battery was depleted they were a paperweight until I could get back to my desk/home to charge them.

I also prefer the airpods for the lack of wires. Originally I slated the importance of this, saying it wouldn't make a difference. My thoughts on that have definitely changed. Being able to pop one in, or both, with nothing else to worry about is lovely. It's definitely a quality of life improvement, rather than something outright game changing, but it's very nice.

Hope that helps! Any other questions?

Soldato
My main issue was sound quality. Some reviews suggested they sound the same as standard pods.

Have you used them?

I can't stand the normal earpods, they sound and fit terribly. The airpods fit far better and the sound is surprisingly good, definitely noticeably better than the earpods.

Soldato
I think all the reviews I've seen have commented that the sound quality is much better than the normal earpods.

Yeah/most, most of the reviews I had seen have said the same. As have everyone I know who has used them.

I was genuinely concerned that the sound quality would be poor, but it's been great, very pleasant to listen to.

Soldato
How long ago did you order them?

If you're waiting on a long delay, keep an eye on Apple shops as well as other high street electronics shops. I ordered mine last year and was supposed to get them mid February, I found a pair available in Currys online for next day delivery and got them 30th December.

Definitely useful to keep an eye out.

Associate
£169.

Wow. Folk do realise that these sound pretty much like the Apple standard wired earpods ...that are often replaced (by music lovers) with better sounding £30 third party headphones ?

Commissario
£169.

Wow. Folk do realise that these sound pretty much like the Apple standard wired earpods ...that are often replaced (by music lovers) with better sounding £30 third party headphones ?

I'm not defending the price because I think it's far too expensive but if you read back through the thread and read reviews, the sound quality is widely reported as being a lot better than the Apple standard wired earpods.

Associate
Well I guess they may use better components but I can't see the whole bluetooth compression/decompression doing anything for sound quality.

Remember, apple moved from an internal DAC to a cheap one in the lightning cable with the IP7. So even the bundled wired Earpod headphones are starting from a worse position on the IP7.

Not many audiophiles would choose the Airpod.

Still if they are convenient, cool or whatever then why not. It's your money...

Associate
Well I guess they may use better components but I can't see the whole bluetooth compression/decompression doing anything for sound quality.

Remember, apple moved from an internal DAC to a cheap one in the lightning cable with the IP7. So even the bundled wired Earpod headphones are starting from a worse position on the IP7.

Have you tried using them for a day yet?

I am 95% sure you will love them after that.

Soldato

They are 100% not targeted at audiophiles, that's not what the product is supposed to be. They're portable, decent sounding, convenient ear pods.

If you want audiophile sound get some decent IEMs or over eat headset.

Back
Top Bottom