Does this company policy discriminate against men?

Caporegime
Well, depends how you look at it.

Personally, given the choice I would prefer for me to be making a short unaccompanied walk in the dark to my car than my female colleagues. I don't feel unsafe when I do so, whereas I know many of them may do.

And I understand that. As a man, I know that most people I bump into aren't usually a particular threat in any individual sense. For most women, at least 50% of people (i.e. every man they see) are going to be physically stronger. That changes a lot of the dynamic of how you see potential threats - something that's not necessarily easy for men to understand.

Yet you're assuming for a woman most men are a threat. Another classic example of sexism.

Soldato
And 50% of the people i bump into have the ability to become pregnant but that doesn't mean i go round with a condom on :o

Just because they are stronger doesn't mean that they will have the urge to overpower them. If an area is not well lit, a complaint to the council normally sorts that out and when it comes to these matters, they are pretty prompt with resolutions.

Yet you're assuming for a woman most men are a threat. Another classic example of sexism.
You're both assuming I'm suggesting that the threat is a real risk. I'm not

I'm saying that the feeling of fear (however big or small, and however well founded or otherwise) is real. It's a stress for, in this case, female workers that their male colleagues would not experience.

Soldato
I would be annoyed full stop, if your workplace hasn't got enough car parking spots for their staff, they should be sorting out alternative parking or paying for your parking at the alternative carpark (imo). They shouldn't pick or choose who takes a financial hit based on anything like gender, colour or who has biggest ears. Either all should pay or none should.

I know this isn't how it works irl, but I would be annoyed if I was paying money to park when people doing the same job around me were getting it for free.

I worked for a company in Cambridge that stupidly bought an office with a small carpark, then decided to take up 3-4 more spaces with a damn cycle shed. So people would park anywhere their car would fit (including IN the cycle shed lol) and the company would moan constantly. No one listened so it was kind of an organised chaos :p

Last edited:
Caporegime

I'm saying that the feeling of fear (however big or small, and however well founded or otherwise) is real. It's a stress for, in this case, female workers that their male colleagues would not experience.

Whoa, you're now assuming women feel threatened just crossing a road?! What kind of dump do you live in?
Again though, how do you know a man therefore doesn't fear being assaulted crossing that same road.

Soldato
Whoa, you're now assuming women feel threatened just crossing a road?! What kind of dump do you live in?
Again though, how do you know a man therefore doesn't fear being assaulted crossing that same road.

A man might. Most don't.

I know plenty of women who get nervous about walking at night on their own. I don't know any men who feel the same.

I live in a lovely village on the edge of the Cotswolds and work in the beautiful spa town of Cheltenham. As I said, it's not so much about the likelyhood of a problem, simply the perception difference between men and women on the fear of the problem.

Caporegime
A man might. Most don't.

I know plenty of women who get nervous about walking at night on their own. I don't know any men who feel the same.

I live in a lovely village on the edge of the Cotswolds and work in the beautiful spa town of Cheltenham. As I said, it's not so much about the likelyhood of a problem, simply the perception difference between men and women on the fear of the problem.

How do you know most don't? How do you know most women do? You're assuming based upon no facts at all. Also screw perception, we're talking about reality. More men are assaulted than women are raped. So let's deal with the real threat here!

Soldato

Of course men have concerns when walking around in the dark, what the hell. I have to walk through Leeds at 6:45 am on a Saturday morning in back streets and it's a real concern that I could get mugged or attacked. Jeez, come join us on planet Earth

Soldato
Of course men have concerns when walking around in the dark, what the hell. I have to walk through Leeds at 6:45 am on a Saturday morning in back streets and it's a real concern that I could get mugged or attacked. Jeez, come join us on planet Earth

Really?

Can't say I felt the same during my time living in either Coventry or Bristol and walking around some of the less salubrious areas of either.

Have you actually ever been mugged?

Soldato
Well, depends how you look at it.

Is this one of those alternative facts we've been hearing about? The facts are clear: Men are several orders of magnitude more likely to be the victim of assault than a woman.

Personally, given the choice I would prefer for me to be making a short unaccompanied walk in the dark to my car than my female colleagues. I don't feel unsafe when I do so, whereas I know many of them may do.

Maybe they feel unsafe because we've created a culture of fear for them?

And I understand that. As a man, I know that most people I bump into aren't usually a particular threat in any individual sense. For most women, at least 50% of people (i.e. every man they see) are going to be physically stronger. That changes a lot of the dynamic of how you see potential threats - something that's not necessarily easy for men to understand.

I generally walk around with a sense of impunity, not because I think I can beat the crap out of anyone who tries anything, but because people don't try anything. But the truth is I am far more likely to be assaulted than a woman.

Soldato
How do you know most don't? How do you know most women do? You're assuming based upon no facts at all. Also screw perception, we're talking about reality. More men are assaulted than women are raped. So let's deal with the real threat here!

Why? The chances of either happening, in a case where the difference is crossing one road, are so low that the 'real threat' is barely a threat at all.

Soldato
Isn't that irrelevant to the point?

You said yourself that the fear of something is irrelevant to the risk...

I'm trying to understand why he's a big scaredy cat. I can understand why women are fearful, due to their smaller size and strength (meaning they don't feel confident in the idea that they can defend themselves, and also that they know that they present an easier target). I don't so much understand why men would be particularly nervous.

So, perhaps he has had such an experience in the past. I could understand then being nervous.

Soldato
He has stated that he is far more likely to be successfully assaulted as a man than a women is to be sexually assaulted. The statistics speak for themselves. Regardless of how big a person is, statistically he is at greater risk so sees himself under greater threat.

Man of Honour
I'm trying to understand why he's a big scaredy cat. I can understand why women are fearful, due to their smaller size and strength (meaning they don't feel confident in the idea that they can defend themselves, and also that they know that they present an easier target). I don't so much understand why men would be particularly nervous.

Because it's rare that the people that do the assaulting are little weedy unarmed manchildren.

There's always someone bigger and less bothered about risk than the next person.

Soldato
Because it's rare that the people that do the assaulting are little weedy unarmed manchildren.
But therein lies what I've been saying: that feeling like you're going to be at a disadvantage to any would-be attacker is where the fear lies.

And it's not just actual attacks which are to be feared. Intimidating behaviour is stressful too, particularly when you are physically outmatched by the perpetrator, and is much more common than actual assaults for women.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
He has stated that he is far more likely to be successfully assaulted as a man than a women is to be sexually assaulted. The statistics speak for themselves. Regardless of how big a person is, statistically he is at greater risk so sees himself under greater threat.

The following is not targeted at you Avenged7Fold it's just a question in general.

Why is it ok to state the facts about the differences between Men and Woman if it be physical or other when it is to bolster a negative towards men but never woman?

What I mean is, it appears to be ok to say what the above poster has said about Woman being effectively weaker than men (again not wishing to single you out Avenged7Fold) when its aimed at showing they are supposedly more likely to be attacked in the street but when you point it out in any other situation (sports choice of work and so on) it suddenly becomes debatable and sexist when it is on both cases just a fact.

EDIT: oops wrong quite sorry chap, questions still stand though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom