New Camera

Associate
Hi,

I'm wanting a new camra to take on both of my holidays this year !! And was wondering if anybody could recommend me and link me some decent ones please ? My budget his £500

Soldato
Most here highly rate the Sony RX100 as a general point and shoot. Have you looked at that? Do you just want something simple such as the above or something a bit more advanced?

uv

uv

Soldato
More advanced if possible want some really nice photos of my holidays this year

A better/bigger/pricier camera won't automatically give you better pictures. I can guarantee if you stick me in a porsche, I'm still not gonna win any car races.

Do you have any requirements or preferences?

Eg Wifi, tilty-screen, weather sealed, OVF/EVF, big vs small, interchangeable lenses or fixed lens, touch screen, is weight a concern etc.

Associate
OP
A better/bigger/pricier camera won't automatically give you better pictures. I can guarantee if you stick me in a porsche, I'm still not gonna win any car races.

Do you have any requirements or preferences?

Eg Wifi, tilty-screen, weather sealed, OVF/EVF, big vs small, interchangeable lenses or fixed lens, touch screen, is weight a concern etc.

No weight his not a issue but don't want it too heavy. Just fancied a good camara too take a very good picture just need some advice has I don't really no too much. Sorry for sound dumb.

Soldato
More advanced if possible want some really nice photos of my holidays this year

You are underestimating that camera. It is a power little rocket :p

Photography is in the eye, you see a good moment/caption and the photo will be there. As said a £500 won't necessarily take a better photo than £100, same for £5k to £1k.

Soldato
More advanced ?

Do you know how to go manual on a camera ?

That is what advanced means,the little sony Rx100 is an amazing little camera for the money,you will be hard pushed to find a better camera at this price.

Associate
OP
More advanced ?

Do you know how to go manual on a camera ?

That is what advanced means,the little sony Rx100 is an amazing little camera for the money,you will be hard pushed to find a better camera at this price.

No im sorry I don't know how to go manual on the camara!! But I'm willing to learn. Just need some good advice for a novice reallly!

Associate
I would second the RX100, fantastic camera with a 1" sensor, don't be fooled thinking physical size will mean a better camera as unless you then get an SLR or Bridge which also has a 1" sensor then you will actually end up getting something worse.

Perfect camera to start with and can put it into manual mode to start taking control of your settings should you wish to.

Soldato
I would go for the RX100 as well, and i have an A7R. Rx100 is without a doubt the best camera i have ever had, so capable for its size.

Soldato
No im sorry I don't know how to go manual on the camara!! But I'm willing to learn. Just need some good advice for a novice reallly!

Money or features does equal great photo's or photography. Some sensible suggestions have already been made and you have to consider if you buy a big bulky camera to lug around what your mindset will be when it actually comes to taking it with you anywhere.

Starting with something small and pocketable but which offers superb image quality is good place to begin and thats why the Sony RX100 has been mentioned a lot as it fits that exact criteria.

Associate
As the famous quote says "The best camera is the one you have with you."

I have both an all singing and dancing SLR and a decent compact and have found as time goes on that I use the compact more and more as it's easy to put in my pocket so goes with me far more often than the SLR.

I don't have a RX100 but from reading reviews of it if I was in the market for a new camera that would definitely be the one I would get.

Caporegime
You need to think about what you want to shoot, how you want to shoot, what gear you are willing to travel with and lug around, whether you want to be able to change lenses for specific photos, whether you see yourself taking tripods, flashes and extra else with you, or you want something that fits in a pocket etc. Are you going to spend time editing the photos when you get home or do you need good out of camera photos? Is your budget rigid or are you able to spend another 300-700 a year on new lenses, filters and accessories?

Camera size is really not important in determining image quality. However, your 500quid will go much further buying a 2nd hand DSLR and lens, but you will want to spend significantly more down the road on new lenses. There is also an important mindset, will you want to go out with 2-3 lenses and swap them over regularly depending on what you are shooting? Do you see yourself carrying a tripod around (if you really care about IQ then a tripod is a necessity for any static scene).

If you just want to take good photos without hassle or extra costs then something like the Panasonic LX7 is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom