1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Camera

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by baz178, Jan 25, 2017.

1. baz178

Gangster

Thanks for replying!!

Don't really think I'll be carting around a tripod but I'll probably get lenses for which ever camara I pick if that helps.

2. D.P.

Caporegime

If you don't want to use a tripod due to weight then I think the Sony RX100 or Panasonic LX7 type camera would probably be appropriate, you then also don't have to cart around lenses.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  3. Gungnir

Gangster

Search through Flickr etc with model names of cameras suggested along with keywords such as 'travel'.

4. Mark M

Mobster

Ive recently bought a Fuji XT-10 and really enjoying using it. Its a mirroless camera so is smaller than a traditional DSLR and has most of the features you need.

As mentioned above though, shooting in manual or semi auto with Aperture Priority is very challenging for a beginner and you will get more duff shots then good to start with. Its really all about practice and getting to know the camera settings so you can change them quickly.

Whatever camera you go for make sure you get it with plenty of time before the holiday so you can get familiar with it.

You will need a tripod (or something to rest the camera on at least) if you are wanting to take good landscape or night time shots though.

5. The_Abyss

Capodecina

I bought an RX100 Mk 2 last year as a more compact option than my D750 and lenses to take around on motorbike trips. Fantastic little camera - I've used it far more than my DSLR since I got it.

6. kingo15

Hitman

Dont under estimate the power of the rx100 i have the mk3, more than capable of taking very good holiday pictures.

7. rogan

Wise Guy

I dropped and smashed my rx100 mark3, will be buying a new one if sony cant repair it for a reasonable price

8. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

There is much to be said about a decent compact - the advantage of something pocketable is the fact you will you tend to take it out more often with you and I have taken some of my favourite pictures with a compact.

However,the price of prosumer compacts is now coming to dSLR and mirrorless camera level. Last month and the month before you could get a Olympus OM-D E-M10 II or Fuji XT10 for under £400 and these have fantastic image quality and are very easy to use. They are also quite compact and lightweight too for an interchangeable lens camera.