New Build - Can't Browse Internet While Downloading

Soldato
Just finished a new build (yay!) but I've got a really strange issue whereby I cannot seem to use the internet at all when I'm downloading.

It doesn't appear to effect any other machines on the network (e.g. phones, iPad's, MacBook's etc still have internet) but when I download a game via Steam or a large file via Chrome it totally canes my internet and my machine can't "multitask" and all websites via Chrome stop loading.

edit: I also seem to lose access to the internet entirely, nothing via Firefox either and cannot even get a response from Google via ping.

I've updated the drivers for the LAN to the latest version and the same for the motherboard chip-set drivers.

Anyone have any ideas what may cause this?

I'm using a rather crappy bog-standard old Plusnet router (doesn't have Gigabit ports) would this be part of the problem?

Motherboard is a ASUS Maximus IX Code if that's any relevance.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just a quick update.

I went and purchased a new router, Netgear R7000, and it seems to have solved the issue.

It looks like the poor old bog-standard Plusnet one had given up the ghost.

I'm also getting 75 Mbps down and 18 Mbps up throughout the house on Wi-Fi now even in places where the previous Wi-Fi wouldn't reach so overall worth the £130 or so for the new Router :)

Back
Top Bottom