Disable Your Antivirus Software (Except Microsoft's)

Soldato
You would not always know if a virus got in or not, not if you were browsing the web and one of the sites you visited was hacked. No, it's would not have to be a dodgy site. Script-blockers would help to prevent an issue here yes, but that is one example.

Indeed, except that it would have to be a dodgy site. Why would a legitimate site try and exploit your browser? :p

I just browsed back through some Firefox security vulnerabilities for example, and the most recent one that mentions "remote code execution" is

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2016-92/ (Nov 16)

Digging into the tracker notes it required a specially crafted SVG animation, but would then run arbitrary code. The browser would then crash. This is pretty typical for a browser exploit - it requires a specific, crafted element on a site, i.e. a dodgy site.

Very scary all the same though - keep your browsers up to date people!

You can do what you like, but essentially if you are running no antivirus AND push family members away from an Antivirus who may not be technically savy, then you are asking for trouble.

I totally agree. It's very easy for even fairly competent PC users to run bad executables when trying to install something, for example.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
It makes me laugh when I read that someone has not had an antivirus and has never had a virus, how would you know?

By knowing how infection is most likely to occur in the first place. You tell me how you think something will infect my machine, and then I'll tell you how I mitigate the threat.

UAC in either case should remain on (mine is left as default).

It's disturbing how many people deliberate weaken their system by disabling UAC and other security features. Have a read of the UAC thread created the other day. Some of these people work in enterprise IT!

Man of Honour
I know my own system isn't weakened thanks very much. In a corporate environment where users are concerned it's a different matter of course. Nobody is going round disabling UAC on their work networks, for example.

Some of us do have common sense and the knowledge to not ever be affected by our personal preferences with our systems.

Instead of teaching how to suck eggs to such people, perhaps the more logical approach is to accept their decisions? :p

Soldato
I've never bothered with dedicated anti-virus on PCs since Windows XP.
UAC left on for home PCs and leave Windows 10 patching to do its thing. I know the patch/restart thing is an issue for many people, but I understand why they do it.

Absolutely could never imagine recommending no AV for the likes of non-tech friends/family though.

Soldato
only used an antivirus when i was made to by work whenever I needed to VPN.

But I agree with most of the above, a bit of competence, use your brain and windows defender is fine, no need for third party.

Also, a good way I check is periodically install avg / something and do a sweep (along with general maintenance / disk management etc) , 99% of the time no issues.

Caporegime
If you are not going to have an antivirus, you had better be dam sure that you know what you are doing and what to look out for. It makes me laugh when I read that someone has not had an antivirus and has never had a virus, how would you know?

I'm pretty confident in my surfing abilities tbh.

Rule 1. Don't download anything stupid.
Rule 2. If you are going to download something stupid read reviews and from a decent source.
Rule 3. Don't give access to other users to be able to install software.
Rule 4. Get a legit looking but suspicious email with a zip file. Delete it.

You have to be a moron to install a virus on your computer tbh, especially if your on a forum like this with more technically advanced users.

I don't even run a firewall on my home router, who would want to hack me and for what gain?

Same goes for virus software. I don't run any. Only had 1 virus in about 20 years and that was because I ordered a package and got an email about a package from parcelforce, it looked legit and it was only until I had downloaded the attachment and clicked on it I had realised parcelforce would never send an attachment unless it was a pdf and not use the dodgy one I had been sent. They would send you a link to their site where you input your tracking number to then deal with said parcel. it's common sense however I was in a rush and never thought about it. If I had it would have stared me in the face it was a bogus email. That was a long long time ago.

After that 1 mistake I formatted and learnt from it.

Caporegime
I really don't understand the need to get rid of it? Its better to have it surely... Even if you think you are the king of the internet. :p

I do it to improve performance. I also don't want to hear my hard drive being hammered when it scans the full drive looking for viruses. Can't be doing your drives any good.

Associate
It's disturbing how many people deliberate weaken their system by disabling UAC and other security features. Have a read of the UAC thread created the other day. Some of these people work in enterprise IT!

Never used it and never will, it has ALWAYS caused me more problems than it is worth. People will just click yes to everything to get on with things if it mithers them so it might as well not be there in the first freaking place.

Stoner81.

Caporegime
Its like taking the airbags out of your car and saying "its OK, I'm a careful driver" :D

not really as someone else can crash into your car.

Nobody else can infect your computer apart from you. Unless you let someone else use it but then if they infect it then they would also crash your car. your analogy is terrible.

Soldato
not really as someone else can crash into your car.

Nobody else can infect your computer apart from you. Unless you let someone else use it but then if they infect it then they would also crash your car. your analogy is terrible.

More security is always better then less security, I leave UAC on (not a big deal at all) with my Bitdefender 2017 Total Security, plus my hardware firewall on router etc...

I'm the only one that uses my PC, but still use careful habits regardless, better safe then sorry, having less security is asking for trouble down the road.
There are some very clever worms/viruses out there that have surprised more then a few careful users.

My rule is simple, don't make it easy for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom