Buying Dollars

Associate
So it's now only 4 weeks until I go to the US for the first time, so excited to be going to PAX. I've got most things sorted out now. Have a Monzo card topped up which I will mainly be using for spending as there's no currency conversion fees but I want to take some cash with me but most places I see have a minimum £300-£400 order. What would be the best place to order dollars from and are there any places which do smaller amounts?

Soldato
Withdraw using the Monzo - no fees there either. Don't bother doing any currency conversion as the rate you get will be worse than the MasterCard conversion rate.

Caporegime
Why not just use a cash machine at the airport? I don't understand this need to take cash to developed countries? There was another thread recently where someone wanted to get some HUF in advance and people were giving bad advice like try Debenhams or go to the post office instead of simply using a card to withdraw cash when you get there.

Soldato
Burn the Monzo card, get either a Halifax Clarity or Nationwide Select CC (or both).

Change up about £50 into dollars at whatever local high street place is closest so you have a bit of cash for tips.

Associate
Burn the Monzo card, get either a Halifax Clarity or Nationwide Select CC (or both).

Change up about £50 into dollars at whatever local high street place is closest so you have a bit of cash for tips.

Why?

I've been using monzo in monthly trips abroad for almost a year now and its by far been the best FX expeirence i've had

Associate
OP
Withdraw using the Monzo - no fees there either. Don't bother doing any currency conversion as the rate you get will be worse than the MasterCard conversion rate.

Not all cash machines offer free withdrawals, although i'm not sure if this is because of the cash machine owners or something. I just thought it best to have some cash on me on arrival.

I'm not interested in getting a credit card either from another bank.

Soldato
Not all cash machines offer free withdrawals, although i'm not sure if this is because of the cash machine owners or something. I just thought it best to have some cash on me on arrival.

I can only speak from using it in the US (NY) and Poland myself. Didn't have any hassle finding free withdrawal machines. If you want cash before hand, then just pop to somewhere local that does currency and get a small amount to get you going.

Btw, having another CC as backup if something goes wrong is a wise move if at all possible.

Associate
Zero - I'm off to Florida in 58 days (Not I'm not counting :)) and am using Revolut the currency card.

I cannot speak highly enough of this card so far - The exchange rates are incredibly close to that of the bank rates, so the XE is generally better than in cash.

The app that comes with the card gives you total control to change currency back, block a card and unlock it at will, and transactions appear instantly in the app (I've tried using it in the UK).

It's a MasterCard so transactions on the card cost nothing, you can withdraw up to £300 per month before you get charged, but if you are like me, most transactions will be carried out by card anyway.....

I'd recommend having a look :)

/Edit, should have read the OP properly ! John Lewis have a competitive rate for exchanging cash..

Last edited:
Caporegime

But you're not going to get free currency exchange either. Might as well get cash out at the airport.

Permabanned
Get a Revolut card for pre pay debit and clarity card for credit.

Or...you could get a card like the new curve card, which acts as a wrapper around your current cards and does the same thing.

Soldato
Zero - I'm off to Florida in 58 days (Not I'm not counting :)) and am using Revolut the currency card.

I cannot speak highly enough of this card so far - The exchange rates are incredibly close to that of the bank rates, so the XE is generally better than in cash.

The app that comes with the card gives you total control to change currency back, block a card and unlock it at will, and transactions appear instantly in the app (I've tried using it in the UK).

It's a MasterCard so transactions on the card cost nothing, you can withdraw up to £300 per month before you get charged, but if you are like me, most transactions will be carried out by card anyway.....

I'd recommend having a look :)

/Edit, should have read the OP properly ! John Lewis have a competitive rate for exchanging cash..

I will never not recommend Revolut, brilliant app and super exchange rates.

Associate
Agreed Bennie.

I've not used it properly yet, but I've got a few thousands dollars loaded onto mine I preparation for our trip - So far, I'm really really impressed. The rates, as you say are excellent and the support is too....

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom