**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
What's the best place to buy the Xiaomi Mi 5?

I know you can load custom ROM but I heard they come locked now, is this still true?

Do you only need to unlock for Global ROM?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro and I want to root to use xposed mods, block ads and potentially install a custom ROM.

But I haven't rooted or done anything like that for years so I'm really out of the loop, I had a look on XDA but everything is really daunting. Can anyone point me in the right direction pretty please? ;)

Soldato
Decisions decisions, might wait for the Huawei P10 Lite / P10

I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro and I want to root to use xposed mods, block ads and potentially install a custom ROM.

But I haven't rooted or done anything like that for years so I'm really out of the loop, I had a look on XDA but everything is really daunting. Can anyone point me in the right direction pretty please? ;)

Found the following from a quick google ;)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/redmi-note3-prokenzo-guiderom-global-t3341102

Associate
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/len...n-820-2-15ghz-quad-core-4g-smartphone-2605293

Just grabbed the ZUK Z2 for £131 from banggood (inc 6.9% TCB).

Crazy value for a 5", SD 820, 4gb ram, 64gb, 3500mAh battery phone. I was considering a OP3T, but this is exactly a third of the price :D :D :D

It'll be replacing my long standing LeTV Le 1s which also cost about £130.
I happened to buy the same as you at the same time due to the HUKD ad. Mine shipped roughly 21:00 Monday. Will be interesting to compare certain functions I'm rather particular about to the Oneplus 3 I bought last summer.

maj

maj

Soldato
where is the best place to buy a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro ,don't want to get stung for import fees, cheers.

I bought my Xiaomi from Geekbuy and paid no custom charge. You'll just have to be confident about flashing the rom as the one they provide isn't an official one, at least not on my Mi5. Takes a few weeks to arrive but other than that I had no problems buying from them.

Soldato
Soldato
I think all Xiaomi phones have a locked boot loader now. It is something Google forced on them when they wanted Google services on the global roms. It can be a pain but it does work. http://en.miui.com/unlock/

Decisions decisions, might wait for the Huawei P10 Lite / P10

Found the following from a quick google ;)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/redmi-note3-prokenzo-guiderom-global-t3341102

Thanks, I have requested an unlock. That thread is pretty good but the link for bootloader unlock is broken. But I have done it the official way now so just have to wait :p

Associate
Not sure if it will work with other Xiaomi phones but my Mi5S came with a shop rom too, to install the official rom i just downloaded it from MIUI to the phone and used the updater app to change it.

maj

maj

Soldato
Not sure if it will work with other Xiaomi phones but my Mi5S came with a shop rom too, to install the official rom i just downloaded it from MIUI to the phone and used the updater app to change it.

Wish that way worked for me. I can't remember the specific error but it just wouldn't work. In the end I had to use the MIUI flash tool to wipe the phone and flash it manually. That was with an unlocked bootloader too iirc.

maj

maj

Soldato
I know the OS tells you which apps are using the most battery, but is there a way of finding out which app is consuming the most memory? Even when I just have one app open and then close it, it says I have less than 1gb free out of 3gb. Sometimes it can be below 500mb free.

Associate
I found on my note 3 it does go down quite low sometimes leaving me about 750 left. I found found once the apps have been cleared then it will go up to 1.5gb available most times. If it stays lower then I reset the phone and all is good again. It has been much better since I got official China ROM instead of the fake ROM. Plus I went from miui 7 to 8 when official ROM went on.

Soldato
I happened to buy the same as you at the same time due to the HUKD ad. Mine shipped roughly 21:00 Monday. Will be interesting to compare certain functions I'm rather particular about to the Oneplus 3 I bought last summer.

Would be good to hear. I was all set on the 3T, but didn't like the £100 price increase for a slightly better SD821 and larger battery.

This for £133 is ridiculous for the price.

Since its from Hong Kong did you have to pay import duty?

Shouldn't have to going by other info I've read on the web, but it wouldn't be much if I did get hit.

Just ordered x2 more for a guy at work who has killed his iphone 5 thing :p

maj

maj

Soldato
Maj, there is not way it should be like that, the lowest I have seen my note 3 pro go is 1.4GB free, have a look ate this video and give it a try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCVvH8Gw04Y

Thanks will take a look now.

I found on my note 3 it does go down quite low sometimes leaving me about 750 left. I found found once the apps have been cleared then it will go up to 1.5gb available most times. If it stays lower then I reset the phone and all is good again. It has been much better since I got official China ROM instead of the fake ROM. Plus I went from miui 7 to 8 when official ROM went on.

I was on a dodgey MIUI 7 but am now on an offical 8 global one. I tend to leave my phone on all the time (even when charging) so will try a reboot thanks.

Soldato
Finally, with a lot of time and trial and error, finished with my Redmi Note 3 Pro.

Unlocked bootloader by contacting them, installed TWRP recovery, rooted, installed Resurrection Remix ROM, blocked ads with AdAway, flashed a custom google "splash" image and Android N boot animation, flashed Google Assistant (which is meant to be exclusive to Pixel phones). I had to use Magisk to hide root to be able to login to Pokemon Go. :p

Now I have Android 7.1, with no ads, rooted, and with Google Assistant. Nova Launcher Prime and Resurrection Remix ROM coupled together have awesome customisation options :)

The only thing missing is Xposed with youtube adblock but unfortunately Xposed doesn't support android 7+ yet.

This phone has gone from being very good to amazing now! Best £150 I've spent in a long time.

Back
Top Bottom