*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Man of Honour
Friend of mine who runs his own smoker tells me that smoked cheddar tastes far better if you let it mature for a month or so after the smoking!

Can you point me in the right direction for a recipe, it looks amazing!!!

I've heard similar - it's best to wrap it in clingfilm or stick it in tupperware and let it reach equilibrium in the fridge for at least a week.

Re the salmon..it has been a while since I made it but it's essentially this:

Cure the salmon for 24-48 hours in 2.5% salt and 2.5% brown sugar. Rinse, baste in maple syrup then stick in to hot smoke at ~110C. Every 20 minutes baste in more maple syrup. It'll take about 2-3 hours in total.

Soldato
I've heard similar - it's best to wrap it in clingfilm or stick it in tupperware and let it reach equilibrium in the fridge for at least a week.

Yep, that's pretty much what he says, and his smoked cheese is amazing!!

Re the salmon..it has been a while since I made it but it's essentially this:

Cure the salmon for 24-48 hours in 2.5% salt and 2.5% brown sugar. Rinse, baste in maple syrup then stick in to hot smoke at ~110C. Every 20 minutes baste in more maple syrup. It'll take about 2-3 hours in total.

When you say 2.5% salt and 2.5% brown sugar, what exactly do you mean by that?:confused:

There may not be any left to test this hypothesis...

As FrenchTart said, next time you need to smoke much more cheese!!! :)

Man of Honour
When you say 2.5% salt and 2.5% brown sugar, what exactly do you mean by that?:confused:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear with that. What I mean is 2.5% of the weight of the salmon in salt (and the same in sugar). Then leave it overnight. It's called equilibrium curing though more often it's used for meat curing and the cure times are much longer.

Soldato
Ah I see, that makes sense, so if I had 1kg of salmon, I'd use 25g of salt and 25g of sugar. I'm guessing best it to cut the samon into fillets before the curing to maximise the surface area for curing.

How do you know it's been cured enough or does it not really matter as long as you've left it for a while?

Also, any recommendations of what wood to use for the smoking?

Man of Honour
That's right yeah. I cut before curing to speed the process but it's not required (I wouldn't do it for curing bacon though).

When curing meat and other products you'd leave it in the eq cure for a much longer period of time to make sure it had fully cured. The nice thing about eq curing is that you can't "over-cure". However, for this particular salmon recipe it doesn't matter if it isn't fully cured and you'll get the benefit of the improvements to flavour and texture with just a 24 hour process.

I have used cherry and oak before with no real difference. I probably wouldn't use something really strong like mesquite though.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Ok, so I've been wanting to do a long smoke on my Weber Kettle for a while now, but never have. Thinking this long weekend if the weather holds.

What meat would you guys recommend for a first attempt and maybe some tips etc?

Cheers. :)

Soldato
Amazingribs have the easiest guide IMHO. My enwie tip would be don't over think - keep a stable fire at around 225F, don't lose patience and take the meat out when it reaches 200F

Man of Honour
Well I am a terrible person with no respect for anything because I've just ordered a gas grill. Last generation weber genesis 330 GBS. I've been reading very mixed reviews of the new generation ones and know the old ones are solid and got a chunk off so thought why not.

In my defence I have two weber kettles and don't see this as a replacement for them!

Caporegime
Well I am a terrible person with no respect for anything because I've just ordered a gas grill. Last generation weber genesis 330 GBS. I've been reading very mixed reviews of the new generation ones and know the old ones are solid and got a chunk off so thought why not.

In my defence I have two weber kettles and don't see this as a replacement for them!

You will probably find the webber's completely untouched. I have a couple of charcoal grills and they only come out of the hsed when I am making a huge BBQ party and need the extra grill-space to separate meats, veggies, fish etc.

Man of Honour

I'd definitely get one if I had the space and most importantly, weather for them. Sadly Manchester weather is rubbish enough that BBQs are more rare than they should be.

Man of Honour
I'd definitely get one if I had the space and most importantly, weather for them. Sadly Manchester weather is rubbish enough that BBQs are more rare than they should be.

True, the sun always shines in London ;)

You will probably find the webber's completely untouched. I have a couple of charcoal grills and they only come out of the hsed when I am making a huge BBQ party and need the extra grill-space to separate meats, veggies, fish etc.

I'm sure I'll use the gas a lot. I hope I'll still want to use the kettles though. I've been using weber kettles for 23 years and don't want that to change. Looking forward to a new toy though.

Back
Top Bottom