• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah, can't do both like Nvidia, and they can't even compete anyway on gaming with Nvidia.

Lts not forget that Titan X, Titan X (Pascal) and Titan Xp are all deep learning cards. I suppose they are all crap gaming cards. Vega will be fast of that i have no doubt. How fast i don't know but very confident it will out do a 1080 easy enough. 1080ti we shall see.

Soldato
Pretty sure they marketed as a both a compute an gaming card in one.

EDIT: 1 min of google:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1/4

Nvidia could have easily disabled the Fp64 support as they did with the 780ti etc. but they purpsoely left it enabled as a prosumer compute card without the professional support.

Maxwell had to drop Fp64 support due to transistor constraints. By the time we got to Pascal Nvidia has diverged HPC and gaming lines.

Their page didn't actually state anything other than its gaming performance. Again, I'm not disputing its actual compute performance but that isn't how they marketed it.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/gtx-700-graphics-cards/gtx-titan-black/

Now I know it's not the original Titan, but the Titan Black was the same card, just over clocked a bit. It however links to a video that they used for the original Titan that states it's a revolution in gaming using supercomputer technology.

They don't or didn't state anywhere that it's a compute card. They go on about gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lts not forget that Titan X, Titan X (Pascal) and Titan Xp are all deep learning cards. I suppose they are all crap gaming cards. Vega will be fast of that i have no doubt. How fast i don't know but very confident it will out do a 1080 easy enough. 1080ti we shall see.

Difference being that they have 1:1 FP16 performance, where as Tesla and AMD's Instinct Vega card are 2:1 FP16.

So AMD's Instinct MI25 beats them all in that respect at 25 TFLOPS of FP16, compared to P100 Tesla having 18.7 for the PCIe Card, and 21.2 TFLOPS for the NVLink version.

7bb56d6916724d4485c6cd2fca2245cf.png

Soldato
Difference being that they have 1:1 FP16 performance, where as Tesla and AMD's Instinct Vega card are 2:1 FP16.

So AMD's Instinct MI25 beats them all in that respect at 25 TFLOPS of FP16, compared to P100 Tesla having 18.7 for the PCIe Card, and 21.2 TFLOPS for the NVLink version.

7bb56d6916724d4485c6cd2fca2245cf.png

Through experience in fp32 which is important for games the gaming chip is usually clocked higher again. If Vega follows suit then it really could be a beast. AMD do seem to disappoint with there last few releases but i can see no reason why a chip the size of Vega 10 will have problems being faster than a 1080. In reality it should rival a 1080ti but again with AMD's latest efforts i really don't want to think about another 9700 which is possible.

Soldato
Through experience in fp32 which is important for games the gaming chip is usually clocked higher again. If Vega follows suit then it really could be a beast. AMD do seem to disappoint with there last few releases but i can see no reason why a chip the size of Vega 10 will have problems being faster than a 1080. In reality it should rival a 1080ti but again with AMD's latest efforts i really don't want to think about another 9700 which is possible.

The FP32 performance of the MI25 is 12.5 TFLOPS. Which at ~1500mhz is pretty good.

Hopefully AMD is able to get higher clock speeds out of it, one of my concerns is that the card is rated at <300W.
The last time AMD rated a card like that was the 290X and it ended up at 290W TDP.

Hopefully gaming Vega manages better clocks without going silly on power draw and heat.

Soldato
The FP32 performance of the MI25 is 12.5 TFLOPS. Which at ~1500mhz is pretty good.

Hopefully AMD is able to get higher clock speeds out of it, one of my concerns is that the card is rated at <300W.
The last time AMD rated a card like that was the 290X and it ended up at 290W TDP.

Hopefully gaming Vega manages better clocks without going silly on power draw and heat.

300w tdp is pretty worrying. It needs to perform like a champ with those figures. TDP never really worries me much as we all know a decent cooler should be up to the job and it's pennies more to run per day. If the performance is there then it shouldn't be a problem.

Thing is though at 300w tdp and if only matching a 1080ti AMD have fallen way behind Nvidia tech wise which i don't want to happen for all our wallets. Looks even worse when using HBM2. Wasn't there a slide showing 220w tdp not so long ago. I wonder if AMD have made a really bad move going with Global Foundries.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
My expectation has always been that Vega will beat Pascal and then not so long after Volta will beat Vega. The gap between Volta and Vega being bigger.

This is why Vega needs to be priced well. If not, even as much as I would like Vega I will just wait for Volta and get more bang for my buck.

Soldato
Guys there is no Volta this year. Shield yes, was announced few weeks ago. But no Volta. Hell there is no GTX1080ti stock to fullfill two month old pre-orders.

Dont read WCCFTECH for news. They have none.
Is the same s-h-ite which "according to their sources" their headlines for vega the last few weeks only.

Vega was coming out with Prey, last week.
Vega was coming out yesterday (March 9th).
Vega is coming out on 16th of May.
Vega is coming out on 30th of May in Computex.

Let alone all the rest of the crap. Is the same place which couldn't figure out the name of the Vega GPUs naming them 490s and 590s even after it was announced that this will be RX Vega.

And also is the same place which didn't saw the TXp coming! Since they are "so well connected". Total crap.

Soldato
Guys there is no Volta this year. Shield yes, was announced few weeks ago. But no Volta. Hell there is no GTX1080ti stock to fullfill two month old pre-orders.

Is the same s-h-ite which "according to their sources" their headlines for vega the last few weeks only.

Let alone all the rest of the crap. Is the same place which couldn't figure out the name of the Vega GPUs naming them 490s and 590s even after it was announced that this will be RX Vega.

And also is the same place which didn't saw the TXp coming! Since they are "so well connected". Total crap.

To be fair to WCC some of it "Sources" come from forum posts here at times :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Now watch Loadsa read this and then post a wccftech link. lol :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom