Gaming or Office Chair

Associate
Just wondering are these gaming chairs suitable for general PC use e.g. working from home etc? My current chair from staples is showing its age so was looking at maybe a Noble, Vertagear or dx racer but I am a bit put off by price & a few horror stories.

Associate
Gaming chairs tend to be pretty bad for office based work. Check out this review of the Noblechairs Epic, a highly regarded gaming chair, at around the 5:40 mark (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__mWz8o7fy8&t=367s) to see the nature of the problem.

I've never found any gaming chair that can also double as a comfortable 8 hour a day office chair - so you will need to think about which activity you do most in your chair and then decide whether you want to compromise on the gaming or office based use.

Associate
Gaming chairs tend to be pretty bad for office based work. Check out this review of the Noblechairs Epic, a highly regarded gaming chair, at around the 5:40 mark (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__mWz8o7fy8&t=367s) to see the nature of the problem.

I've never found any gaming chair that can also double as a comfortable 8 hour a day office chair - so you will need to think about which activity you do most in your chair and then decide whether you want to compromise on the gaming or office based use.

i dunno i kind of disagree with this, i think its down to personal preference.. as long as the chair is comfortable i think it can be used for both

Associate
i dunno i kind of disagree with this, i think its down to personal preference.. as long as the chair is comfortable i think it can be used for both
I have to disagree. As somebody who has to do ergonomic assessments for their job, Gaming Chairs, as the YouTube states are very pretty, but from an ergo perspective, in general, are not very good, especially for prolonged sessions of sitting in front of a VDU. Probably not so noticeable as a 20 something, but as a 40 something you begin to notice how fragile your back can be. I will stick with my Aeron

Associate
I don't get how a so called gaming chair can be any better for gaming than a decent office style chair. I'd much rather pay the same for a well made office chair as for a normal quality chair with added flashy bits so they can call it a gaming chair.

Am I missing something about gaming chairs and their game improving abilities ?

Associate
I added my 2p worth to a similar discussion a while back on here. I will offer the same advice: I popped into Ikea a couple of weeks back and sat in their Markus' chair. Now its a huge upgrade over my current chair and I was extremely comfy, relaxed and felt in a natural position. I suggest going to an IKEA and trying one out!

Soldato
I don't get how a so called gaming chair can be any better for gaming than a decent office style chair. I'd much rather pay the same for a well made office chair as for a normal quality chair with added flashy bits so they can call it a gaming chair.

Am I missing something about gaming chairs and their game improving abilities ?

Helps when going around corners at 120mph...

I'm looking for a new chair but definitely won't be going for a gaming chair. Yes they look great and if I was 20 something with no kids then I'd have one but I'm nearly 40 and my kids would trash one of those chairs!!

Soldato
If you're going to be sat for long periods of time, whether gaming or working, a good chair is essential IMO. They are not cheap, but they are good value for money in that they tend to stay in good condition for a much longer time and don't slowly cripple you. My Herman miller mira is about 6 or 7 years old now, it cost £550 new (no arms). Before that I had three cheap office chairs at ~£150 each non of which lasted for much more than 2 years.

It amazes me that people will put down £800 on a top end GPU and won't spend half of that on a decent chair..

Associate
good quality office chair all the time RHExtend 120 for me last for years and all the adjustments you need
rh-extend-120-220_front.jpg

Associate
Herman Miller here. Had mine for 10 odd years.

Pro's:

Comfort
Well built
Lifetime warranty (had the hydraulics replaced on mine last year)
Looks professional

Con's:

Cost is too high for some

Soldato
Herman Miller Mira here... Its amazing, but the cats LOVE the suspended seats fabric.. They hop and and their claws catch on it and have destroyed it in less than 2 years.. It was bought as a reconditioned one so only had 1 year warranty... Ouch :( :(

I have bought fabric, have nothing to lose so will give retrimming it myself a go.

Associate
I have bought tons of chairs in my time and I have to say that I think the single most important thing is to get one that's the right size. Sounds obvious but if you are a tall person you need a chair made for a tall person - and so on. Quality comes second.

Associate
a good quality chair will have all the adjustment you need the only real concern is if you need something bariatric. or with an extra large base, all good companies will be able to provide a range of seat sizes and back lengths. with proper adjustments not just up and down and tilt etc. This can normally be specced. when ordering a Quality chair.

Quality comes first.

Back
Top Bottom